Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Rabbit Hunting

Looking for somewhere to do some rabbit hunting with my 2 beagles.
Ive tried conservation sites like golden ranches out near cooking lake when I lived in Edmonton, but now I live out near Onoway so I've been trying sites like Letourneau, Atim Creek, and others in the parkland area. I've only ever had success at Golden Ranches, bagging 2 rabbits. Ive seen more in there but just didn't have much luck. My dogs are pretty new, but they have killer drive, are fast, and seem to know what their doing hahah. They've been on a few rabbits in Letourneau, but with no luck, and the chases are few and far between. I feel like my success rate should be much higher, given that there is said to be really big populations of rabbits in and around the Edmonton area, but Im having a really hard time being successful! Looking for some advice, or some guidance from someone who might know where a guy might be pretty successful.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Well, I am not sure what you consider to be lots of rabbits and "who said" there is "really big populations of rabbits in and around the Edmonton area", but,,,

FWIW, I haven't seen significant numbers of rabbits (well snowshoe hares actually) anywhere in the parkland regions in past 20- 30 years. Your description of how many bunnies you have found really sounds pretty typical now. Back in the 60's and 70's, bunnies were very common through the parkland but predator numbers were much lower back then.

Try focusing further west and north into the forest fringe areas would my best guess as to where you might find huntable numbers of rabbits.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:16 AM

You bring up a good point. I suppose I may have had a false idea in my head, nobody told me there were large populations. I used to live in the city, and there were tons. I guess Ill just keep doing what I'm doing!
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Hare populations experience dramatic population fluctuations in a cycle that lasts 8-11 years. I think the peak rabbit/hare cycle around central Alberta was a couple years ago. The lynx population increases a year after a the peak of a hare cycle so hare numbers go down quickly. Last year there were good populations of lynx.

If you are training your dogs I would suggest that you try walking some of the train track right of ways in the area. The railways usually have good brush along them. There can be good populations of rabbits or hares along the train tracks. In some places the train tracks have been removed but the railway still has the right of way. Some of the railway tracks are barely used anymore. Those would be ideal.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-09-2018, 08:20 AM

Default Rabbits(snowshoe hares)

I know a great spot north of morinville. A few sections of crown land with only one dirt road nearby. No highways great for the dogs. Haven't hunted there for a few years but we shot so many we had to leave the guns at home and start using the bows. I've seen three and four cross the trial ahead of the dog. Send me your cell number and I'll drop you a pin. Probably an hour and fifteen from Onoway.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Red Bullets- thanks for the info on the hare population cycles. and yes to be clear, I was in fact originally talking about snowshoe hares, and not rabbits. The railroad tracks sounds like a good idea especially if I can find some that are no longer in use to at least keep the dogs actively running rabbits, even I can't physically hunt them.

Here is a shot of Josie and I with our first hare -

Icecap - that sounds awesome I'd love to check it out

Last edited by admin; 06-26-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:02 PM

Try leaving the dogs at home and see if you have better success. I live very close to Onoway and me and a buddy snare rabbits an$ the last couple winters, we got close to 200 rabbits each season. They’re out there.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:41 PM

Be sure to spend time in the right habitat. If there is little sign, then there can't be many bunnies around.

ghfalls,
The OP's purpose seems to be to include the hounds.
You are right that for efficiency and numbers, snaring is a great way to satisfy the need for hare pies.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Rabbits

Wait till after summer, they are raising babies now.

Tags
beagles, hunting, rabbits