Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderBolt View Post
Where is rock island. I being to Pigeon a couple times and didn't venture out to far. I've looked across the lake and didn't see any islands.......I hope this is not a submerged island, because I would like to know where it is if this is the case. Thanks
Yes,its a underwater island.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Yes,its a underwater island.
OK so how deep is it from the surface? I launched my boat at the provincal park. So where would I look for it from there?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
OK so how deep is it from the surface? I launched my boat at the provincal park. So where would I look for it from there?
most of the island is under water there is good chunk that sticks out you have to be close to see it will be covered in seagulls

i think if you go right from mullhurst you will find it there is usually a couple boats anchored
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
most of the island is under water there is good chunk that sticks out you have to be close to see it will be covered in seagulls

i think if you go right from mullhurst you will find it there is usually a couple boats anchored
OK I'm pretty sure I can find it. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 PM

What method of fishing is generally most successful for catching eyes at pigeon? Troll a jig with ordinary tail or with minnow bait or just jig from anchored boat or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain John View Post
What method of fishing is generally most successful for catching eyes at pigeon? Troll a jig with ordinary tail or with minnow bait or just jig from anchored boat or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
We had a decent day slow trolling jigheads with spinner blades on them tipped with dew worm.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Bottom bouncing spinner rigs always works well there.

LC
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM

i just let boat drift in the wind dragging a cury tail grub on a jig works great

last year island was great for drifting this year has been slow i was thinking could be the higher water level
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Well if you lauched at the Provincal Park, you were almost at the most furthest point you could get from it on the lake. Its not far off the northeast shore, half way between Mameo and Mulhurst. Closer to Mameo though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain John View Post
Most of my walleye fishing on Pigeon has been done with bottom bouncing a jig head with a minnow. I have done some trolling, of some structure, but nothing seems to produce like bottom bouncing.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Well if you lauched at the Provincal Park, you were almost at the most furthest point you could get from it on the lake. Its not far off the northeast shore, half way between Mameo and Mulhurst. Closer to Mameo though.
Thank you Rockymtnx, this is where I was going to lauch. I was planning on looking at a map that would show those coordinances. Thank you, you have just narrowed it down for me. Thanks again!! I am sure I will find it.

Most of my walleye fishing on Pigeon has been done with bottom bouncing a jig head with a minnow. I have done some trolling, of some structure, but nothing seems to produce like bottom bouncing.
yahooooo!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
I was out there last Wednesday and had some great fishing. 63 walleye in a few hours out there. Didn't notice any difference.....
im new here...have tags for pigeon.....i will fish there this saturday...i bought a small 12' boat and it is on the far south shore...(norris beach i think). I dont want any secret spot but what do i use..and is there kinda a decent spot to fish around there? Im more of a fly fisher myself...lol

Thank
Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 AM

thx guys I'll try these techniques out next week!
Old 07-08-2011, 01:22 AM

Just a update for all of you.
I fished Pigeon for 4 hours this morning and caught 4 walleye. This was the slowest day of fishing I have had on the open water at Pigeon in 12 years.

CBRHUNTER told me though not to complain because a slow day of fishing still beats a day in the office.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Guys, in my humble opinion, if there is a sudden decrease in the walleye population, ALL THE POWER TO IT! anybody remember those 200 fish days? yeah me too, but they were all bloody skeletons ! I think you guys need to for sure pack up and leave pidgeon alone for a season or two, then come back and enjoy QUALITY over QUANTITY.

maybe the sudden decrease in bites is because they moved to a new depth? people are mentioning 12-24 fow but what about the pencil weeds? what about the bay itself? your telling me you went out to your fave honey hole in the middle of the lake some where..where you would normally pull up *200* starved stunted walleye and caught little to nothing in a very long period of time, but never tryed moving over to some weeds or a sand bar, maybe even dropping a smelt down into the trench? Try something else then jigs? bait? spoons? spinners?

sounds like people definetly need to either leave or change it up!

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 07-08-2011, 03:11 PM

walleye this year i caught have gained some weight bit more chunky
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0liver View Post
your telling me you went out to your fave honey hole in the middle of the lake some where..where you would normally pull up *200* starved stunted walleye and caught little to nothing in a very long period of time, but never tryed moving over to some weeds or a sand bar, maybe even dropping a smelt down into the trench? Try something else then jigs? bait? spoons? spinners?
Who said I didnt move and try changing things up? I have fished the lake 3 times in the past 10 days, and yesterday was just a slow day. I know that lake pretty damn good and know a lot of great places to cast a line. It sure wasnt for a lack of trying yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSRfishing View Post
walleye this year i caught have gained some weight bit more chunky
X2

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Normaly the walleye don't turn on until after July 1 at pigeon .
May be its later this year.
I will be out on the lake July 14 - 17 .
I hope its going to turn around by then !
Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Default pigeon

I always pound them on flies on a fly rod off of one of the points, its a bit tricky trying to hook them at first, but after that i've gone out and had 50 fish days consistently. Before i fly fished i used cranks that were small ish, and perch colours and did VERY well.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

I always had the impression that Piegon Lake is for the unskilled. I think it is boring there. Really a waste of my time. Nothing like it was in the early to mid 90's. F&W sure screwed that lake over. All I know it doesn't take brains to fish it. Just one hint there still there you just have to find them. My buddy was out there and knows how to fish them and had great luck. Just because your spots are hot in the summer or fall doesn't mean there good in the early season.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM

the fish are still their ,there as been a large bug hatch and the eyes were feeding heavely on these, you can see the skeletons on the water surface. you have to work harder for the fish. and change your nornal fishing habits.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I always pound them on flies on a fly rod off of one of the points, its a bit tricky trying to hook them at first, but after that i've gone out and had 50 fish days consistently. Before i fly fished i used cranks that were small ish, and perch colours and did VERY well.
I assume you are fishing from a boat and not fly fishing from shore?

LC