Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2022, 09:42 AM

Default Brand Name vs No Name - Tires

Found our Santa Fe with a nail in the tire. Un repairable, too close to the sidewall. Have to replace all 4. Anyone have any real world experience with tire brands not Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin etc?
Do a tire search, it looks like you're shopping on Amazon, full of brands I've never heard of before.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:03 AM

I don't have any direct experience with the knock-offs, I tend to avoid them.

I'd suggest a quick Kijiji search for decent used tires. I found a full set of Michelin take-offs for my Highlander for $400, they are literally new. A few local shops will do the install and balance for $80-100. Buy yourself a tread gauge and use it, most folks lie about remaining tread

Please poll Tirebob, a very well respected and honest local guru on tires, you won't regret it.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:06 AM

Lotsa of great advise from Tire Bob PM him
Old 10-24-2022, 10:15 AM
AO Sponsor

Generally speaking, you do get what you pay for to a large degree, but that doesn't mean there isn't good value for quality in the middle of all of that.

When it comes to the really cheap stuff and winter, most of it is pretty crappy and has poor quality rubber compounding that is not designed to remain softer as the temps get cooler, and by the time you get into the deep cold they have become hockey pucks so the tread design does not do what it is supposed to with all the little sipes no longer opening and spreading to provide the biting edges in snow and helping to sweep water that forms under weight of a vehicle off the surface of the ice giving more traction when slipping or spinning.

The junk stuff also tends to ride horribly and often can be unbalanceable due to lack of quality control during production and tend to be really noisy (if road noise is a thing that annoys you). Wear can be an issue too.

That said, some of them can be better than others. Try and stick to cheaper brands that are well known and have been properly distributed throughout the country year after year and not just the one off container specials you see come and go all the time. They may not be the absolutely cheapest of the cheap, but there certainly are some value tires that still can give you what you need for a lower price if your expectations match.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-24-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Generally speaking, you do get what you pay for to a large degree, but that doesn't mean there isn't good value for quality in the middle of all of that.

When it comes to the really cheap stuff and winter, most of it is pretty crappy and has poor quality rubber compounding that is not designed to remain softer as the temps get cooler, and by the time you get into the deep cold they have become hockey pucks so the tread design does not do what it is supposed to with all the little sipes no longer opening and spreading to provide the biting edges in snow and helping to sweep water that forms under weight of a vehicle off the surface of the ice giving more traction when slipping or spinning.

The junk stuff also tends to ride horribly and often can be unbalanceable due to lack of quality control during production and tend to be really noisy (if road noise is a thing that annoys you). Wear can be an issue too.

That said, some of them can be better than others. Try and stick to cheaper brands that are well known and have been properly distributed throughout the country year after year and not just the one off container specials you see come and go all the time. They may not be the absolutely cheapest of the cheap, but there certainly are some value tires that still can give you what you need for a lower price if your expectations match.
Wish i was in Cowtown, I would probably go right to you.
Costco just launched a bunch of promos today. Looks like we back there, again.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:28 AM

I think Canadian Tire has has 3 days of some sale on tires and 30x times Canadian Tire money on the purchase. Ends today, I believe, but I didn’t look at the details and what’s on sale.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:35 AM

There are 2 components of a vehicle that money should be spent on "best of the best". I will never cheap out on tires or engine oil. I prefer tires that last and are tough (not into flat tires). My vehicles all have cooper or toyo. This from the advice of the brother in law who has owned a tire shop for 25 years. His business is geared towards a lot of rural (tougher driving conditions) so perhaps that is why those are his recommendations
Old 10-24-2022, 10:44 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
There are 2 components of a vehicle that money should be spent on "best of the best". I will never cheap out on tires or engine oil. I prefer tires that last and are tough (not into flat tires). My vehicles all have cooper or toyo. This from the advice of the brother in law who has owned a tire shop for 25 years. His business is geared towards a lot of rural (tougher driving conditions) so perhaps that is why those are his recommendations
I am going to bet he was partial to the M55 and the AT3 LT? Haha! Both are tough tires that a lot of guys running gravel request often.

This said, that does not apply to every model of tire within a brand. Like anything, the same company will make products designed for different purposes so you can't totally blanket cover a brand with a characteristic.

Take vehicles for example. Chevy builds a Duramax 3500 dually, but they also build a Corvette. Both are Chevy but they sure as heck are not made for the same purposes nor could the two cross characteristics in the leasts other than a bowtie logo.

My best advice is to not let brand loyalty determine which tire to buy. Look at relevant models at the level of quality in the market you are interested and then compare traits and prices and go from there.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-24-2022, 10:46 AM

Crappy tire has big tire sale ends today fyi
Old 10-24-2022, 10:54 AM

When I put the last set of tires on my Tundra , I planned on only having it for another year at most, so I looked at some of the cheaper brands. The local Kal Tire manager suggested Sumitomo, so I tried them, and was actually quite pleased. That being said, I am looking at Nokian for when I need to replace the summer tires on my F150. A friend has been running the Nokian all weather tires since last spring, and I will likely try the all seasons, in addition to new Nokian winter tires , when the Firestone winter tires that I bought cheap need replacing.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:01 AM

My buddy was running Nokian all-season tires and they are great. I thought they wore out way too fast though.

For winter, doubt many tires can beat Nokian.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Found our Santa Fe with a nail in the tire. Un repairable, too close to the sidewall. Have to replace all 4. Anyone have any real world experience with tire brands not Firestone, Bridgestone, Michelin etc?
Do a tire search, it looks like you're shopping on Amazon, full of brands I've never heard of before.
Just curious on why you "have to replace all 4" when you have a nail in just one.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I put the last set of tires on my Tundra , I planned on only having it for another year at most, so I looked at some of the cheaper brands. The local Kal Tire manager suggested Sumitomo, so I tried them, and was actually quite pleased. That being said, I am looking at Nokian for when I need to replace the summer tires on my F150. A friend has been running the Nokian all weather tires since last spring, and I will likely try the all seasons, in addition to new Nokian winter tires , when the Firestone winter tires that I bought cheap need replacing.
Had a set of Nokians once....they barely made a year. Side wall failures on 2/4.
Worst tires I ever owned.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
My buddy was running Nokian all-season tires and they are great. I thought they wore out way too fast though.

For winter, doubt many tires can beat Nokian.
They do come with a good tire wear guarantee.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I am going to bet he was partial to the M55 and the AT3 LT? Haha! Both are tough tires that a lot of guys running gravel request often.

This said, that does not apply to every model of tire within a brand. Like anything, the same company will make products designed for different purposes so you can't totally blanket cover a brand with a characteristic.

Take vehicles for example. Chevy builds a Duramax 3500 dually, but they also build a Corvette. Both are Chevy but they sure as heck are not made for the same purposes nor could the two cross characteristics in the leasts other than a bowtie logo.

My best advice is to not let brand loyalty determine which tire to buy. Look at relevant models at the level of quality in the market you are interested and then compare traits and prices and go from there.
I am brand loyal simply because I have ran many brands over the years and know what works so now stick with the two. With that being said, I think I owned a car in high, and other than that, have always drove large trucks. Until the last 4 years, my miles have been very diverse from highway to all manners of oilfield roads (heck, I used to drive the Alaska hwy when it still went thru Trutch and it was sections of gravel. Last 4 years, my drive to work consist of a couple miles of gravel to hwy 22, then pavement to a plant.

You are right about the Toyo M55's. One 3/4 ton still sports there. I consider them the ultimate "tough" tire. They weren't that great in the winter due to the harder rubber compound, but they have since made them studable. Have also ran the Toyo MT's. Better in winter, but not quite as tough. The pickup I run down the highway with to work has the cooper ats's. They wear well and are a pretty good all season tire. Another 3/4 ton pickup has the cooper ST maxx's. They have seen a few hard miles with some weight and have over 90000 km on them and still have a lot of life in them. Not the ultimate winter tire. I do have a spare set of coopers on rims, believe the ATS's as well that are studded. Bought them for winter use but haven't thrown them on for a few years. Superb winter tire with the studs (why didn't I use those all the years I spent up north on some pretty sketchy roads)

As for brand specific tire with different applications, I just assumed each company would make a tire for each need? I have never looked into it that close as I don't need a car tire in the city, so maybe they don't?
Old 10-24-2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Just curious on why you "have to replace all 4" when you have a nail in just one.
Probably depends on tire wear all around
Old 10-24-2022, 01:24 PM

I just swapped a set of Hercules winter tires for a set of Federal, more middle of the road tire brands I guess. I got 50k out of them and I ran them year round.

I have ran Aturro mud tires on my last F350, they seemed to last almost as well as the Toyos they replaced and $150/tire cheaper. Thor tire in Edmonton has great prices on tires, mostly Chinese. I would use Chinese tires in a heartbeat as long as the price is right.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Probably depends on tire wear all around
They are all due anyway. We bought the car with 109000km on it, original tires. Had them put new tires on as part of the deal. Should have specd what i wanted, they just stuck some Hercules All Seasons on it. Never heard of the brand, except for a couple posts up from this one! Got 60000 out of them, but there are a couple patches now on them and this is the final straw.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:20 PM

Check kijiji and Marketplace. Buddy just found a set of brand new ties for 2/3 of the price, still have stickers on them. I also purchased a set of 4 for my wife’s car, almost new tires for $250… I felt bad taking those for this price, they are like $1300 new and these one were almost new, maybe 1000km on them.
Old 10-24-2022, 10:46 PM

Good timing. Looking into replacing a set of aged michellin LTX. Tires are 9 years old but still have 50% tread remaining. Truck is a driveway princess...
Hard to justify $2800 for a set of michelins. Hercules run $1600 for the set. Dont mind sacrificing longevity but safety under heavy load is a concern.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:13 AM

I don’t drive my Duramax unless I’m pulling or hauling something. I’m sick of putting on tires that look like drag slicks as soon as they get 50k on them. I’m putting new tires on this Friday and I’m going to put on the tallest narrowest Toyo M55 I can get.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Check kijiji and Marketplace. Buddy just found a set of brand new ties for 2/3 of the price, still have stickers on them. I also purchased a set of 4 for my wife’s car, almost new tires for $250… I felt bad taking those for this price, they are like $1300 new and these one were almost new, maybe 1000km on them.
If you get lucky, there are some great deals out there. I found a set of brand new Toyo Open Country tires for $500, two years ago, for my Tacoma. When I wanted winter tires, I found a set of take off factory aluminum rims, with sensors, and studded Firestone winter tires , all used for one winter for $600, for my F-150. Both deals were found on Kijiji.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Good timing. Looking into replacing a set of aged michellin LTX. Tires are 9 years old but still have 50% tread remaining. Truck is a driveway princess...

Hard to justify $2800 for a set of michelins. Hercules run $1600 for the set. Dont mind sacrificing longevity but safety under heavy load is a concern.
I wouldn't sweat it with the Hercules tires. They are made in the USA by Cooper, so it's not like they are some totally offbrand Chinese tires. Cooper makes a lot of tires for a lot of different brands (Dick Cepek, Micky Thompson, Mastercraft tires, Motomaster)

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Last edited by leeaspell; 10-25-2022 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Hard to justify $2800 for a set of michelins.
What kind of tire?

My new BFG M/T KO2's cost half that and that's for 35x12.5x15's
My last Pro-Comp's were only $1200 for the same size.

Just curious what would make them so spendy?
Old 10-25-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
What kind of tire?

6 tires in my case.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Had a set of Nokians once....they barely made a year. Side wall failures on 2/4.
Worst tires I ever owned.
Had my Nokian Hakkepalita (studded), for 8 winters. Great winter tire. Drove on ice roads in Zama City. It was like cheating, traction everywhere.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:06 AM

Alot of "House Brand" tires are actually made to order for the Retail Chain by Major Brand Manufacturers.

Some will remember Sears when it had an auto department. Their tires were not made by either Simpson, or Sears, just like Craftsman is not made by Craftsman.

Kal Tires have a house brand, as do Canadian Tire. Both have lots of service points across Canada, and both have good warranties. Their House Brand tires are made by the Majors.

Difference in price is usually about 20 - 30 %.

Drewski
Old 10-26-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
What kind of tire?

Rim size has a huge impact on the unit cost per tire. Go to your favourite tire site and price out your 35" x 12.5" BFG M/T KO2s for 15", 17", 18", and 20" rims. Same overall size, different spec, big price difference.

It works like this: if you can afford the 20" rims, we can charge you more (aka gouge) for the same tire.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-26-2022, 01:37 PM

Run all weather Sailun on the truck no issues at all good in summer and winter very little road noise. Also had Sailun on 5th Wheel, excellent tire no issues
If I could get (size) for the car would get right away