Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Over&Under Shotguns

I own & shoot afew different rifles but as yet do not own a shotgun.I live on a large acreage & would like to shoot clay,s at home.I would like to buy a shotgun to use at home & also shoot ducks & geese.Have looked at cortona & yildiiz both around $1300 any input on experience with either of these or opinions would be appriciated. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Default Browning

I would spend a little more and get a Browning Cynergery or Citori. Will pay off in the end.

I see theres a Cynergy for sale in the hunting items that is going for cheap.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:38 PM

I have no experience with a Cartona so I can't speak about them.

The Yildiz Guns look nice, but from what I have been told, they will not stand up to a lot of use, like a trap gun sees. Most hunting shotguns see far fewer shells.

Next, why an over/under? I am not trying to dissuade you, I just wonder what your criteria was for choosing one instead of a semi or pump.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 PM

I would avoid Yildiz if you intend to do a lot of shooting.You would be better off with a used Citori or Beretta for your intended use.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun+Rod View Post
I would spend a little more and get a Browning Cynergery or Citori. Will pay off in the end.

I see theres a Cynergy for sale in the hunting items that is going for cheap.
The Cortona will go the distance with either of those Brownings. - it's not an entry level gun, just an OEM by FAIR, a very respected name in Italian shotguns.
Cat
Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 PM

X2 on the Cynergy. I have shot 525 brownings, and they are awesome, but the for me the Cynergy fits better, feels better balanced, and swings better.

Of course I am biased because I own one. Having said that, I have converted a few guys from Citori's to Cynergy's at our trap club. There are some wives that would love to meet me because of that!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 PM

If someone wants a SMOKIN' deal on a REAL Superposed Browning, there is a cased field gun for $650 on CGN right now, but you had better hurry, at that price it will not last!
Cat
Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 PM

I am currently favoring the cynergy classic unsingle combo. What do you more expierienced guys think of that one ? Last year (first trap year)
used my sbe11. Really enjoy the sport and i want something trap specific.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If someone wants a SMOKIN' deal on a REAL Superposed Browning, there is a cased field gun for $650 on CGN right now, but you had better hurry, at that price it will not last!
Cat
I saw that Cat, my worry is i do not have the expertise to actually know what i would be getting or how many rounds have been through or...
I could not tell if a shotgun had a hundred or a million rounds through her so i was think it would be better for me to bite the bullet and buy new.
I am in a hotel room in lloyd this moment and was with that fine fellow clay this evening. Sure would not mind seeing my cash go his way.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I saw that Cat, my worry is i do not have the expertise to actually know what i would be getting or how many rounds have been through or...
I could not tell if a shotgun had a hundred or a million rounds through her so i was think it would be better for me to bite the bullet and buy new.
I am in a hotel room in lloyd this moment and was with that fine fellow clay this evening. Sure would not mind seeing my cash go his way.
Clay is super people, for sure.
As far as the superposed goes, this is one of the FN built guns that were made in Belgium for Browning. Excellent engineering, the likes of which is rarely equalled these days.
I don't believe I have EVER seen a worn out one!
The just get a little fast closing and opening, is all!
I have owned four, and every one was a gem.

I may just buy that one even though I don't shoot anything over a 20 gauge as a rule!
Cat
Old 05-09-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
That being the case,I would shoulder some of the guns Clay has in stock,and see which fits you best,Clay will usually give you as good a deal as you are going to find anywhere.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:03 PM

i have a yildiz and i love it, and i know of four other people that have Y guns because of my gun haha. if you plan to shoot thousands of rounds a year out of it..it may not be the gun for you...however..i would say i have easily shot 500-1000 shells out of it each year that i have had it (3rd now..yes i know not too long) without a glitch from the gun....crappy winchester shells are another story...but the gun has operated flawlessly.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

Who repairs the Yildiz guns in Alberta, or even Canada?
I have shyed away from them just for the reason I might be owning a useless broken canoe paddle like when the Russian Baikals were on the Canadian market
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Default over/under shotguns for hunting

Thanks for the input guys,probably will end up with the cortona,use it on clay targets till sheep season.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Default o/u

Throw your money at Clay but make him dance first... hah
He is good to deal with and reasonably priced.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Who repairs the Yildiz guns in Alberta, or even Canada?
I have shyed away from them just for the reason I might be owning a useless broken canoe paddle like when the Russian Baikals were on the Canadian market
i am not too sure if he is still doing it but there was a distributor/repairs guy near okotokes....as well there is a repair guy out east fromw hat i have read/heard. but i am not 100% on this.

maybe clay would know better as he sells them.