Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2023, 08:16 PM

Looks mixed cloud in Calgary. Fingers crossed.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-23-2023, 08:34 PM

light cloud here in north central alberta too, pretty dark cloud to the west, hope it clears off
Old 04-23-2023, 10:55 PM

They were out early here tonight in the South.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0632.jpg (58.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0633.jpg (56.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (11.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-23-2023, 11:40 PM

^ How far south? I see people reporting seeing it in North Carolina, Colorado, Utah, etc. Should be going strong, just a matter of catching a great display.

Here, the cloud cover is killing the whole thing
Old 04-24-2023, 07:43 AM

^^ Medicine Hat area, they were out around 10:30 and lots of colors again... Most likely the best year I have ever seen them in this area....
Old 04-24-2023, 10:00 AM

It was visible over Calgary. Looked out at 11:30 pm. Folks said it started earlier.

Is it slated to go again tonight?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-24-2023, 02:43 PM

^ It looks like it subsided quite a bit now. Not sure what is going to happen later on. Not looking good at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
^^ Medicine Hat area, they were out around 10:30 and lots of colors again... Most likely the best year I have ever seen them in this area....
That’s quite south for the photos you posted. Nice. There were reports from South Dakota about aurora being visible from all sides, including south. Also reports from Mexico on yesterday’s display. Very cool. Nada here. I waited until 1:30 for the sky to clear up a bit and not a chance, lol.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:28 PM

Old 04-24-2023, 07:29 PM

It was too cloudy here. We missed it. Cool pics posted tho.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2023, 08:06 PM

It’s rare to see them this far South. Couple more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0637.jpg (14.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0638.jpg (21.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:06 AM

Looks like activity tonight but raining in Calgary
Old 04-27-2023, 01:17 AM

^ Spent a couple of days in Edmonton and came back a couple of hours ago. It was raining most of the way back, but it cleared up with about an left to drive. Saw a bit of lights as I was basically pulling in to my street.

Some activity, but nothing spectacular. Goes without saying, I would think, the photos are a bit brighter than what the eye can actually see.

It did pick up a little bit an hour or so later, but died back down shortly.

To note, I could not really see much of the pink and red; it appeared to be more green and white-ish to the eyesight. Still not bad considering the moon was out right there and it wasn’t completely dark yet.

Sometimes these “unsettled” times can bring around quite a flash, but I don’t see that today. Down south, one could probably grab a nice photo with some good exposure, ISO, etc, but I doubt there would be much for the eye to meet.

They are predicting that an edge of the recent flash might hit tomorrow and bring a bit of a show, but no certainty. We shall see, but I am not counting on it.

Edit: Came out to take another look before hitting the bed and there is some activity but it appears to be quite “static” (you can probably see the difference between the following and the previous photos):

Heading to bed now.

Last edited by fishnguy; 04-27-2023 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 12:53 AM

A bit of a storm happening right now. Came outside and saw the freak show. Seeing lights around here this time of year is not very common as it is still light out, literally. Went inside the house to get the phone and it was over when I came back, of course. Lights in the south and things are evolving.

Is someone is looking in Edmonton and south, you should surely see something.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:38 PM

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

For folks looking for the link.
Old 09-18-2023, 09:55 PM

A mild storm is currently happening. Should definitely be visible further south. I saw some good lights a few minutes ago right above me and some to the south. Could be an opportunity for those who want to catch some. Could be a wait though.

The storm has been here since yesterday. I caught a bit of display later at night, but it was super smoky here, so not much excitement. And too late to post here as wel.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:11 PM

went to look again and it is fairly quite, but I can clearly see some pink with naked eye to the north and some movement above my head at the same time. I’d call it rare and pretty cool. I think I’ll ceack a beer open and stay out for a bit.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:13 PM

My son is in the peace country hunting and sent some wicked pics
Old 09-18-2023, 10:24 PM

^ Yeah, I was on a short hunt myself, then drove to the store and then home. I could tell by looking at the sky I missed the best by a few minutes. We will see what comes next. I am sure there will be more, but it could be a waiting game that you sometimes don’t win, lol.

Edit: This was above my head yesterday in some really thick smoke that you could see, smell, and taste.

Edit 2: you can see some movement and it is blowing through, but nothing spectacular. This is what the sky currently looks like to the south east (of Peace River):

Pretty meh at the moment.

Last edited by fishnguy; 09-18-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 11:41 PM

Well, all the good things come to all those who wait, as they say. I saw what I was waiting for. I will see if the video worked out, but here are a few pics. Looked kind of lame from the beginning.

But it did start picking up a bit.

I was then going to post here something along the lines of “go look now!” because I knew it was coming, but could not afford to lose precious time and look away. Also, it wouldn’t change anything for anyone most likely. Then holy mother grail of all… speechless… Note that photos, and even videos, do not translate into the real deal, not even close, but this is the best I can do.

Consider that the last two images were taken only 5-10 seconds apart.

Edit: went out to see if there is a second act, but no luck. Looks nothing had happened a few minutes ago (same spot as the last two pics, more or less):

These things pass way too fast… But definitely worse waiting for. Nothing else is alike.

Last edited by fishnguy; 09-18-2023 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:10 AM

Very cool outside my house tonight

RD
Old 10-14-2023, 12:09 AM

Nice surprise display of lights yesterday when there wasn’t supposed to be any.

Old 12-01-2023, 06:34 PM

Saw some lights in the sky in a well lit area and checked the status. It shows a mild storm is happening (and looks like a bigger storm was earlier today/yesterday). May be a chance to catch a show if someone is interested. I might go out in a bit and see what comes up.

Old 12-16-2023, 02:08 AM

So a couple of days ago, there was a flair on the sun and that was the biggest one in the past 6 (or 7?) years. At least some of it was heading towards the Earth and is expected to hit it today and/or tomorrow. The spot has also been flaring for the past few days and it keeps going. Some activity should be expected in the sky in the next few days for those watching.

There was some activity today. Once it looked promising, I tried to make it to a better spot but by the time I got there it was all over. Oh well. I snapped a few photos on the way, but nothing particularly good. There was some good play picking up, but it didn’t materialize:

I actually wanted to snap a pic or two from the new bridge over Peace River, but when I got there it was over for the time being.

I waited for 20-30 minutes and started walking back. I guess a pic of the bridge in the night would be appropriate:

Anyway, those looking for the lights should keep an eye out tomorrow and in the next few days. Whether it hits or not we will only know in he days to come, but it does look like there is a pretty good chance.

Edit:

Last edited by fishnguy; 12-16-2023 at 02:14 AM.