Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2023, 10:30 AM

Default Problem turkeys!

So now we are taking in BC’s “problem turkeys”.
I guess every bit helps.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9540804/s...ey-relocation/
Old 03-11-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
So now we are taking in BC’s “problem turkeys”.
I guess every bit helps.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9540804/s...ey-relocation/
I would support an exchange program with BC- we will send them our druggies and get turkeys in return, one for one is fine with me….
Old 03-11-2023, 12:05 PM

This is a great program I’m glad to see someone out there is actually doing something meaningful for hunting.
Old 03-11-2023, 03:51 PM

Wonderful program. Win/win for everyone, birds included!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-11-2023, 04:23 PM

That is so wrong, we should be looking after our own first!!

I actually think it's great, no reason we need a big divide between Alberta and BC, even if that's what the ndp like.
Old 03-11-2023, 05:13 PM

I was under the impression, you weren't allowed to release any wildlife without provincial government approval ? Somebody released turkeys around here years ago and F&W ensured they were all removed. For all we know, these could be avian flu reservoirs, not a good thing for poultry producers.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 03-11-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I was under the impression, you weren't allowed to release any wildlife without provincial government approval ? Somebody released turkeys around here years ago and F&W ensured they were all removed. For all we know, these could be avian flu reservoirs, not a good thing for poultry producers.
It’s through the ACA and supported by AFGA it has government backing via the approved turkey management plan.

Last edited by Dubious; 03-11-2023 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
They were all tested an put in quarantine until results came back. This is a great project the ACA has done an I heard it’s a multi year project when I was at one of the release sites. They also said it was 17 years in the making from initial thought till release.
Old 03-11-2023, 07:51 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2023, 08:52 PM

Not all thought they were a problem and some liked to hunt them here in B.C.
There was some beauty toms in the flock right where they had there traps set,
so guessing there Alberta birds now.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:03 PM

So, are these the same sub species we have had previously ? The climate in the Okanagan is very different.

https://owlcation.com/stem/North-Ame...Turkey-Species

Grizz

Old 03-11-2023, 09:12 PM

Use to be quite a few in the Cypress Hills, South of the Hat. BUT after they released the cougars (which they still deny) they wiped them out, in an attempt to control the elk/deer population. Kind of like the none existent "casterated wolves" they turned loose on the Suffield base, in yet another failed attempt to control a quite sizeable elk herd.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
They were all tested an put in quarantine until results came back. This is a great project the ACA has done an I heard it’s a multi year project when I was at one of the release sites. They also said it was 17 years in the making from initial thought till release.
Sounds expensive. Would it not be cheaper to raise and release turkeys? Or just buy them. Where did they get the original ones from?
15 years ago I seen lots in the Porkies, not many now…
Old 03-11-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Use to be quite a few in the Cypress Hills, South of the Hat. BUT after they released the cougars (which they still deny) they wiped them out, in an attempt to control the elk/deer population. Kind of like the none existent "casterated wolves" they turned loose on the Suffield base, in yet another failed attempt to control a quite sizeable elk herd.
Lol.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
This is why we can’t have nice things
Old 03-12-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Sounds expensive. Would it not be cheaper to raise and release turkeys? Or just buy them. Where did they get the original ones from?
They have tried farm raised birds before in lots of places, it never works. They need to be wild caught to have a chance.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:35 AM

Quote:
The original ones came in 2 seperate introductions one from cypress hills and one out of the states back in the late 70s
Old 03-13-2023, 09:09 AM

Good to see. I'd like to see Turkeys reestablished in some of the areas they used to be. Be interesting to know why they seem to have disappeared from the Porcupine Hills country where I used to see them.
As someone who finally got the tag for this spring after 15 years of applying, be keen to know where they got released! But, maybe better to have it kept quiet and let them try to get established in the area.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Good to see. I'd like to see Turkeys reestablished in some of the areas they used to be. Be interesting to know why they seem to have disappeared from the Porcupine Hills country where I used to see them.
As someone who finally got the tag for this spring after 15 years of applying, be keen to know where they got released! But, maybe better to have it kept quiet and let them try to get established in the area.

I know where they released some a month ago. Some have taken residency in my buddies yard this week.

I doubt he will allow any hunters though because we are happy to have them back in the area.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
I know where they released some a month ago. Some have taken residency in my buddies yard this week.

I doubt he will allow any hunters though because we are happy to have them back in the area.

Our climate is very marginal for them, like antelope and pheasant, they need all the help they can get.

Grizz

Old 03-15-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
I saw one standing on the side of the road in Beaver Mines. It looked dazed and confused, probably from the Kootenays.....
Old 03-15-2023, 05:22 PM

Heck ya, swapping wives, now turkeys! Life is now way better!