Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2023, 02:06 PM

Default Lac Ste. Anne

Hello fellow fisherman. I am looking for advice on Lac Ste. Anne. I am trying with great effort to fill my A class walleye tags. I started in September in open water and in three attempts I landed dozens of pike in and around west cove. I have been out ice fishing a bunch and still have only managed pike and a few burbot. I have seen some small walleye on the camera but nothing of size. Any advice, encouragement or general lake discussion is welcome! Maybe even some advice on catching walleye through the ice in general as I am 90% more successful in open water.

Thanks
Nicholas
Old 03-05-2023, 12:34 AM

I haven't caught any A class walleye in st anne yet this winter but have caught several that were close. All were in the late afternoon at the bottom of a steep dropoff or at the top of the drop-off after dark. Glow lures seem to help. It's not a lake with lights out action but it does hold fish. The majority of the walleye we've iced have been on the small side for sure but there are some decent sized ones too.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2023, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the reply. Going to keep trying!
Old 03-06-2023, 01:01 PM

Was out two weeks ago. Slow all day. Maybe try afternoon, night (4-9).
Old 03-06-2023, 04:35 PM

we have been out each of the last three weekends trying different spots west cove , yellowstone, alberta beach and val quentin. We have filled a b and c tag so far with several jacks in between. Did see a burbot swim by on Saturday and we have seen one lonely perch on the camera.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:46 PM

The only luck I've had in LSA this winter for walleye has been at night, during the day it seems they don't come around at all. I filled one A class tag earlier in the winter, gonna be a big push to fill the last one before the end of the season there
Old 03-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Banned

Default slow

I agree with the late in the day.. or after dark.. I have not caught a walleye before 4pm this year on LSA
Old 03-11-2023, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. Went out into 22FOW of water today in the main lake found some class walleyes and a few small perch. I am going to go some evenings coming here at the end of March. I wonder if when the weather warms the walleye will start staging in other spots?
Old 03-11-2023, 09:15 PM

where is whitefish ?
Old 03-12-2023, 07:29 PM

I’ve never caught walleye in Ste Anne when I’ve been trying. I have caught quite a few when I was pounding bottom looking for burbs at dusk but only when I don’t have tags so they should still be down there for you!
Old 03-14-2023, 03:59 PM

I've been out 3 times and our group limited out with A tags and B tags. Try out in 12' of water by the shacks near Val Quenton...11 am to 2 pm worked for us...no luck with C tags though...ice is over 3' thick..C tag info would be great lol...best of luck
Old 03-14-2023, 04:47 PM

My uncle has a cabin on the lake, cousins fish it all summer. I did too years back.

Straight out from the main boat launch is a big structure hump. Or around rock island. That's where we always did and the cousins still catch and fish for walleyes. My biggest Walleye to date was an 8lb one out over that hump in mid August way back when.

Out from shore and to the west of Val Quentin is a rock ledge that runs zig zag and parallel to the shore for a ways. Did good there too many years back.

Hope this helps and you fill that tag.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys! Going to try it after work next week. Hoping an evening push will produce something different.

Nick
Old 03-15-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabs24 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys! Going to try it after work next week. Hoping an evening push will produce something different.

Nick
Yeah, great idea. I have tags for Pigeon and with the time change, why not take on the evening bite. Great idea that should have dawned on me a long time ago
Old 03-16-2023, 11:01 PM
Banned

Move more shallow now... 6 to 10 feet and on rocks as they are going to move in shallow now.. Last 2 hours of light in the evening .. You will score,,LOL