Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2023, 11:37 AM

Default Ion Auger dont's.

A little PSA. I'm sure everyone knows this, but it always takes the hard way for me. Don't......hook up your auger to the quick release meant for the stake driver on your Ion auger. One quick shot of reverse and down she went straight to the bottom.

It took a couple days for the fishing magnet to show up, but we borrowed another auger and headed out for treasure. It's not as easy as it looks to drill side by side holes to make a bigger hole, but I can knock that off my bucket list now too. My son dropped the magnet down and on the first try....CLUNK....we got something. Carefully he lifted his invisible trophy, and POOF! up comes the auger. Best day on the lake ever with my boy.

k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg auger 1.jpg (40.2 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg auger 2.jpg (23.1 KB, 319 views)
Old 03-13-2023, 12:42 PM

I know of a guy who dropped a shotgun off a boat while goose hunting. He found it with one of those magnets too. Good job on the retrieval.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:37 PM

Default tell ion

Did the whole thing go down! Phone ion and tell them if it still works, I can see a new advertising angle on that one.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
A little PSA. I'm sure everyone knows this, but it always takes the hard way for me. Don't......hook up your auger to the quick release meant for the stake driver on your Ion auger. One quick shot of reverse and down she went straight to the bottom.

It took a couple days for the fishing magnet to show up, but we borrowed another auger and headed out for treasure. It's not as easy as it looks to drill side by side holes to make a bigger hole, but I can knock that off my bucket list now too. My son dropped the magnet down and on the first try....CLUNK....we got something. Carefully he lifted his invisible trophy, and POOF! up comes the auger. Best day on the lake ever with my boy.

k
Lol sometimes are ideas turn into brain farts and we learn quick. Go figure they give you 2 set screws. Haha!! Good job on the retrieval!!
Old 03-13-2023, 07:10 PM

Ion auger don’t tip #2

-don’t wait to buy one they are awesome
Old 03-14-2023, 08:52 AM

Nice work on the recovery! Glad it worked out.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:12 PM

Not sure what your point is here

The quick connect is used for the auger and the drill adaptor. I don't use it with the drill adaptor at all as I find I can hand screw in any ice lag bolts faster than I can configure the drill adaptor to the power head.

My quick connect is mounted to my power head and it's been there for a few years. I always remove the power head from the auger for storage and for convenience. The power head and battery go in my house and the auger stays in the garage. I've cut 1000's of holes with my ION and yes I suppose there is a potential risk of losing the auger down a hole when operating it in reverse. The solution here is to continue to use the quick connect, but refrain from operating the power head in reverse. The quick connect makes it so easy to separate the power head and the auger. Wouldn't be without it now.

Last edited by CNP; 03-16-2023 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:23 PM

I suppose my point is.......the one in a million chance happened to me.

Cheers!