Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2023, 06:24 PM

I have two ambassadeur c3 reels that I bought years ago when we fished the Nakina for salmon before that fishery died. I rarely used them since but brought them to Plummers lodge and they worked great on big lakers. I still think spinners are easier for casting for walleye or pike but love the ambassadeurs when fighting big fish. You do have to play with the magnetic drag a bit to avoid bird nests but when you get used to them, drop the drag and they cast beautifully. I wish I had more places where they were needed over my usual 4000 series Stradics.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:03 AM

I can't comment on other baitcasters as all I've ever used are the Abu Garcia Ambassadeurs. I have four or five right now including a 4000D that I bought as a youngster in about 1975. Still works great. I can't recall more than one or two birds nests ever and that was with all brakes off.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol whitey View Post
Hello everyone, need some input, I'm new to baitcaster reels,looking for a reel,no bells and whistles going on a medium heavy ugly stick 6'6" rod going to spool it with 14lb mono as I'm sure I will have to deal with bird nests for the first while maybe go to braid later. Budget is no more than a 150$ Looked at a quantum throttle ll baitcast reel left hand retrieve? Thanks for any suggestions. Going to use use it for casting for pike .
All this talk got digging through my stuff and I found a BN with tag Shimano Corvalus CVL 401 LH retail @ Cabelas is $139.99cdn and a Abu GArcia 6600 BCX RH used and spooled which max's out @ $90usd on ebay

All that said: I will give "ol Whitey" first shot @ $150.00 cdn for both ... after that it is first to say SOLD
Old 03-06-2023, 02:38 PM

PM sent
Old 03-06-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
What are the opinions on an Abu Garcia Revo Beast? What gear ratio is good for pike?
This series is an excellent choice for throwing bigger baits, like Savage Gear Line-Thru plastics and larger Musky baits.

It's available in two gear ratio's, 5.8:1 and the high speed 7.3:1. The 5.8 is a solid option for most slow moving crank and glide baits. If you plan on throwing large spinners, the faster gear ratio helps to engage the blades sooner upon retrieve and helps to keep those blades singing on the way in.

https://www.abugarcia.com/revo-beast...e-reel-1454360
Old 03-11-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
As an aside to my ABU roots, I played with a diawa millionaire one day and thought it was ok...anyone else?
I have an old Millionare 3H, and its a good reel. I think some of the more recent models were ok, but have heard that the current production Millionares are garbage.

Used Millionares typically dont go for much cheaper than used Ambassadeurs, IMO they arent quite as good, parts are harder to find and not so universal. If I found a good deal on another old one I'd buy it, otherwise not so much.

As a side note, I just got new a 5500 C3 off Amazon for $155 this morning. Yesterday they were $200 which is about typical... if the OP is still looking he'd do well to jump at this deal.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-11-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
A lot depends how you fish and what you are fishing for. Make sure you get a size that works for the fish. I love them and have been using for years. I started with an Ambassadeur for my lighter duty and still have it from 40 or so years back is my guess. I have a couple C 4000 and 5000 that are my heavier fish go to and trolling. Make sure it is made in Sweden not China or thereabouts. My most used is no longer made but I love it and is my most used in the summer. Cost in the $400 range and the feel etc. shows.
For you rookies take some electrical tape and setup to a park to practice with a weight. Tape off your line at about 10 ft to start casting to reduce the mess. Move tape back another 10 ft and keep going once you get it.
Also anyone that tells you its all about the thumb is out to lunch. You have to learn how to adjust spool tension and mag for each lure weight. Thumb is just to stop when you need to. Hold your rod tip on an angle and drop your lure to the ground. You should have a nice steady fall. Too fast and birdnest ahead, too slow and will be a short cast.
I have Sold many of these and trained many this way and most find it quite easy to learn.
Been doing this 30+ years and I just learned that I am out to lunch I guess.

If you ever want to get the full potential of a bait-caster, you need to master thumb control. period. This is, admittedly, kinda like school and you have to graduate up to that level using the bait caster, brakes off, with precision and control.

To graduate to brakes off, if you don't use your thumb, there is exactly a 100% you will have a mess. There is no other way to do it. None. That is, ultimately, the pinnacle for bait casting. And this skill requires your thumb.

With no disrespect intended - I cannot, for the life of me, think of why you wouldn't be training your thumb to reach a point where you are taking advantage of a bait caster as it's intended in proficient hands with the maximum performance in mind (no brakes). As you work your way up to no brakes, you should get a feel for the reel and how to use it.

But, to your point - sure using and setting your 2 adjustments, (free fall weight and brakes) are a good way for a novice not to rely on perfect thumb control. But that novice will cast 30ft at a time instead of 80 feet and never gain distance and control until he/she reduces the brakes and resistance.

I'd say, despite running mine brakes off for many years, I do still get some nests occasionally HOWEVER, I'd rather have that once in while instead of putting the training wheels back on and never really "riding" the big boy bike. Big boy bikes need you to have at least one good thumb.

Ask any of them hillbilly 'Merican bass masters and I'm certain they would agree with me !!!! I know you have as much experience as me, and have taught people too, but we are not on the same page here - which is cool. Maybe I'm doing it wrong ???

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by EZM; 03-14-2023 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:30 AM

Good points but was just trying to enforce that the thumb is not the only key to success. Many believe the whole process is about thumb action but not true. Setup properly and use your thumb when necessary and you will enjoy your reel much more and not spend your day with annoying birdnests. And yes I have been using baitcasters for that long or more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Been doing this 30+ years and I just learned that I am out to lunch I guess.

If you ever want to get the full potential of a bait-caster, you need to master thumb control. period. This is, admittedly, kinda like school and you have to graduate up to that level using the bait caster, brakes off, with precision and control.

To graduate to brakes off, if you don't use your thumb, there is exactly a 100% you will have a mess. There is no other way to do it. None. That is, ultimately, the pinnacle for bait casting. And this skill requires your thumb.

With no disrespect intended - I cannot, for the life of me, think of why you wouldn't be training your thumb to reach a point where you are taking advantage of a bait caster as it's intended in proficient hands with the maximum performance in mind (no brakes). As you work your way up to no brakes, you should get a feel for the reel and how to use it.

But, to your point - sure using and setting your 2 adjustments, (free fall weight and brakes) are a good way for a novice not to rely on perfect thumb control. But that novice will cast 30ft at a time instead of 80 feet and never gain distance and control until he/she reduces the brakes and resistance.

I'd say, despite running mine brakes off for many years, I do still get some nests occasionally HOWEVER, I'd rather have that once in while instead of putting the training wheels back on and never really "riding" the big boy bike. Big boy bikes need you to have at least one good thumb.

Ask any of them hillbilly 'Merican bass masters and I'm certain they would agree with me !!!! I know you have as much experience as me, and have taught people too, but we are not on the same page here - which is cool. Maybe I'm doing it wrong ???

That's my 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:13 PM

I was brought up on baitcasters and taught how to use the by my Dad. They are all I use for northerns, lake trout, and any trolling I do. For your price range, I recommend the ABU Garcias mentioned by other, but be sure to get the early ones originally made in Sweden. That means buying used, but it is worth it. Try eBay; lots listed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23493384884...Bk9SR8jm4PjcYQ
Old 03-15-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
This series is an excellent choice for throwing bigger baits, like Savage Gear Line-Thru plastics and larger Musky baits.

It's available in two gear ratio's, 5.8:1 and the high speed 7.3:1. The 5.8 is a solid option for most slow moving crank and glide baits. If you plan on throwing large spinners, the faster gear ratio helps to engage the blades sooner upon retrieve and helps to keep those blades singing on the way in.

https://www.abugarcia.com/revo-beast...e-reel-1454360
Hoping you would put in your 2 cents.......ordered 1 this morning......5.8:1 gear ratio which I think will suit my style of fishing the best.
Looks like Osprey Wings was bought and will be flying again this spring. Booked the spring trip to our camp just last week and am pretty excited!!
Old 03-17-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Good points but was just trying to enforce that the thumb is not the only key to success. Many believe the whole process is about thumb action but not true. Setup properly and use your thumb when necessary and you will enjoy your reel much more and not spend your day with annoying birdnests. And yes I have been using baitcasters for that long or more too.
I agree with you both... weening oneself off the cast control is a good plan, but the learning curve need not be overly painfull.

I dont know that I can cast much farther without the cast control, over using the brake and really muscling the cast. But I for sure get the same distance with significantly less effort and better accuracy.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:44 PM

I use my bait casters 75 percent of the time for everything ,I have 20 reels that I set the speed of the line coming of and use my thumb 100 percent of the time to control it .

Do get the odd birds nest casting into the wind or light jigs . Then I switch to my spinning reels , but not to often . I like both ,but prefer my bait casters .

Change your line if the memory gets bad or tie it to something and get the curls out by letting it all out and putting lotsa pressure on it. If it break all the better ,just put new line on and don't over fill the spool .Avoid old line ,period. Always buy good swivels and avoid line twist ,biggest problem on all fishing reels for casting.

I buy large spools of line and change the line often. Diameter of line can screw you up also ,so find a line that has a smaller diameter ,but the same strength in LBS. Good quality line is worth a whole fishing trip.

If your drag is set right you can bring in monster pike or trout on light line ,I never ever went over 12lb or 14lb in my life . A fishes jaw can only handle so much pressure. That's just my choice ,if you think you need heavier line go for it.

Properly tied with with a bit of lube from your own spit so you don't burn your line as you sinch your knot to a decent leader .

If you get snagged and pull real hard the line underneath can get thinned out or crushed and become weak or just lose memory in the line it self ,so tear off a few rows and this will prevent professional over whine in your reel .

Avoid lubing the insides of the reels to much ,very very small amount .

Put a plastic bottle in your yard and practice casting at it, start at a decent range till you have no trouble ,then move the bottle further . side pitching from the right or left side ,over your head ETC. How much line length at the end of your rod helps you get better distance and not hook your own head or someone else .

I wear my sunglasses all the time specially netting bigger fish and they spit that hook out and bing there's your mellon for a back stop . Ice fishing holes are not good places to look down if a large fish is on, keep your face back a bit. The pro's never show them getting hooks out in there hands by a DR.

By practicing left or right casts with your bait -caster will help you out once in the boat and not catch someone or yourself.

The worst place to learn is in a boat if others are with you ,hell I seen hooks just miss my head many times .

A bit much guys,but using a bait caster has numerous additions that can help you cast better. Reel choice has been mentioned by S S and he is very correct. Fishing is the greatest thing there is,for the mind ,spirit and soul .

Cheers to all.
JD

Last edited by JD848; 03-17-2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:18 PM

on the ABU line... anyone have anything to say about the MORRUM line of ABU reels??
Old 03-19-2023, 10:58 AM

Default Baitcaster

This bait caster thread reminded me of just how bad i was at it. I had purchased a new low end reel as a beginner, to learn on, 1st cast was a complete failure, what I learned, was that this isn't for me.
I think I paid 45.00 for it, and it has been in the locker ever since.
Quantum model PL100S
Anyone else want to learn on it for $20.00
located in Devon AB
Old 05-06-2023, 08:32 AM

Has anyone seen the ambassadeur C3 6500 in stock anywhere? I like that $149 price at Canadian tire but it never seems to be in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcast View Post
Has anyone seen the ambassadeur C3 6500 in stock anywhere? I like that $149 price at Canadian tire but it never seems to be in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems I remember Cabelas regularly featuring them on sale on wild Wednesday.

Thomas Sowell