Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 11:22 AM

Being two tags I don’t see a real conservation concern. The real question is where does the money go exactly?

If the sacrifice of two sheep generates money that will improve habitat and be put into programs that will benefit sheep populations possibly increasing their population it is 100% worth it. Protecting wildlife and being cautious about harvest is wise but if you can fund programs to improve overall populations it’s much more effective

Personally I believe in looking at the big picture and long term potential benefits

Too much information is missing regarding the use of funds generated by these tags to judge how beneficial the auction is
Old 03-16-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just need to follow the money$$. The going rate for a guided Alberta Big Horn hunt is now near $50,000 per recent article in AO magazine last month. I would guess it would be wasteful to allow local Albertan to harvest a sheep for only $50 tag.
In this scenario that 50K goes to the outfitter, it doesn't benefit our sheep or province, other than the little they spend for the week or two they are here hunting.

An Alberta resident certainly contributes more to the province than a one-time hunter who is visiting.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:54 PM

The "Hunter" can live with the story of the "Hunt" and his or her conscience on the issue.I don't find it fair chase, or even a true hunt if its done out of season, and at a time when the Rams are vulnerable.

Shouldn't be allowed entry into a record book of any kind.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
The "Hunter" can live with the story of the "Hunt" and his or her conscience on the issue.I don't find it fair chase, or even a true hunt if its done out of season, and at a time when the Rams are vulnerable.

So November 31st- good, December 1st - bad ?
Old 03-16-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Hunting deer in November while there is 2' of snow and -35 during the rut is fair chase though?

Wow is all I can say
Old 03-16-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
In this scenario that 50K goes to the outfitter, it doesn't benefit our sheep or province, other than the little they spend for the week or two they are here hunting.

An Alberta resident certainly contributes more to the province than a one-time hunter who is visiting.
How about the $500000 for the tag?
Old 03-16-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
So Nevada giving out 235 sheep tags for a December hunt must be super bad then?
Old 03-16-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Hunting deer in November while there is 2' of snow and -35 during the rut is fair chase though?

Wow is all I can say
The deer are in prime condition in November,that's natures way of making sure they are ready for the rigors of the Rut. A few weeks later they need as little disturbance as possible in order to recover.

As for hunting in 2 FT of snow in -35, those who have tried it know how difficult it is to move around, the deer have an advantage unless you can get into the feeding areas.

I respect you point of view though,its just my take on the issue.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Or the Jan. Elk hunt! couple of tags for the rich or lotto draw doesn't affect us or the 99% of the ungulates in any way. As long as the money is used in a good way.
WDF
Old 03-17-2023, 10:35 PM

Have I missed the raffles for 2023 or when do they go on sale for Alberta residents?
Old 03-18-2023, 11:27 PM

They don't
Old 03-19-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut View Post
Have I missed the raffles for 2023 or when do they go on sale for Alberta residents?
Afga will not be running the ministers raffles any more. They requested changes to how they are run but the government didn’t approve it what those changes were I don’t know I sure someone could email them and ask they are usually very open to inquiries.

The auctions are run by APOS I believe they teamed up with wild sheep foundation to get the changes to the sheep tag. A good change in the right direction in my opinion, no one is going to spend a bunch on money on a deer elk or moose tag to shoot a cow calf or bull that dropped their antlers so that’s not an issue. The only species this will apply to would be sheep and antelope and I can’t see how one of the being killed in the regular season vs in the post season is any different for the species as a whole it’s just one animal off the landscape. If both of these species are so fragile they can’t sustain this loss then You guys that are advocating against it are actually advocating for not having the species hunted at all in a round about way.

Jednastka you need to go read the rules some of you assumptions are incorrect.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Jednastka you need to go read the rules some of you assumptions are incorrect.

Yes Dubious, you are correct. Some changes have been made, for example, only the 2022 tags were transferrable.

But year-round hunting and rifles in archery season are still there.