Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2023, 08:21 AM

Default Soft topper for truck

Anyone use one of these?
I think one would work better for me rather than a hard shell, and I don’t really like my tonneau cover.
Does anyone have any feedback on them? Or know of a Canadian dealer?
Old 03-19-2023, 11:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
Anyone use one of these?
I think one would work better for me rather than a hard shell, and I don’t really like my tonneau cover.
Does anyone have any feedback on them? Or know of a Canadian dealer?
Where are you located? We have access to some soft cover stuff for sure.

Personally, I prefer a hard folding tonneau cover. The soft ones tend to get beat up by the wind faster but that can be mitigated with care.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-19-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Where are you located? We have access to some soft cover stuff for sure.

Personally, I prefer a hard folding tonneau cover. The soft ones tend to get beat up by the wind faster but that can be mitigated with care.
Elk valley.
I’m looking for something like a bestop supertop, or a fas top. Basically a soft shell canopy. I have a trifold tonneau, but I find it gets in the way to much.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:15 PM

A nice lockable hard shell is hard to beat.Cant say Ive seen a nice soft top version.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:07 PM

Guess you have stuff that sits above your side rails that you want to haul around. you probably also want it foldable. My guess would be you might have to have it custom made. Can be done but not cheap. Sorry can't help
Old 03-21-2023, 07:15 AM

My little truck came with a tonneau cover, nice but really restrictive on how much I can carry. My solution was to build sidewall extensions which raised my cover to the height of the cab doubling the volume of enclosed space. I can still roll up the cover to haul something tall. Got the idea off utube.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:54 AM

I have ran a Bestop on my GMC Seirra for 5 years. I mostly run it when I am hauling dogs around in the summer so it's off more than it is on but I have found the quality to be good and the installation/removal takes about 15 minutes once you have done it a couple times.

It's surprisingly durable and have had heavy snow loads on it before without collapse and regularly drive through the carwash with the spinning brushes and it's been fine.

The downside, like with all covers and canopies, is it really sucks dust into the box when you're driving offroad.

The style is subjective also. I don't love the look but it's fine on my dark colored truck.

If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apayzant View Post
I have ran a Bestop on my GMC Seirra for 5 years. I mostly run it when I am hauling dogs around in the summer so it's off more than it is on but I have found the quality to be good and the installation/removal takes about 15 minutes once you have done it a couple times.

It's surprisingly durable and have had heavy snow loads on it before without collapse and regularly drive through the carwash with the spinning brushes and it's been fine.

The downside, like with all covers and canopies, is it really sucks dust into the box when you're driving offroad.

The style is subjective also. I don't love the look but it's fine on my dark colored truck.

If you have any other questions let me know.
Where did you get it? Getting it shipped from the states sounds expensive.
That’s what I’m looking for. Be nice for the dogs and some camping and being able to fold it back is nice. I have a dark blue dodge quad cab so I think it will look ok.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:58 PM

Default Soft top

Is this what you are after

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...iI6iGET3wteNrl
Old 03-22-2023, 05:59 PM

had one on the coast it was pooched in 2yrs ,between the uv causing the color to bleach out and the cracks that developed at the hoops that supported the top from sliding it forward in the cooler weather it was junk in less than 2yrs , they cost about 800$ back then
Old 03-23-2023, 10:19 AM

VERY huge Softopper supporter here. I bought mine for my 22 F-150 used last fall for $300. About 4 years old, but cant tell other than a little bit of weathering on brackets.

I use my truck bed as a truck, a lot, so couldn't run a hard shell. That would've been my first choice, but $4000 and up, with more of a pain to remove, took that option off the table. The set up and take down goes fast, as mentioned. Takes me 5 minutes to roll up all sides, and another 2 minutes to fold forward out of the way. When I am not driving dust or keeping things in box, I run the back window rolled up, so I can toss taller things/lumber in and out, fast. Takes 30 seconds to roll back down and setup

As others have mentioned, dust is an issue. A tailgate seal and a bit of silicone takes care of most of the problems. I used roll up soft covers for years, this isn't any worse for dust and weather management, other than melting snow piling up in the back a bit easier.

Any Grandwest dealer can get them, I believe. There are a couple online websites as well. I was going to purchase new until I came across the deal I got. I say go for it, you won't regret it, especially if the money or takedown for a hard shell are prohibitive.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Grimes View Post
Where did you get it? Getting it shipped from the states sounds expensive.
That’s what I’m looking for. Be nice for the dogs and some camping and being able to fold it back is nice. I have a dark blue dodge quad cab so I think it will look ok.
I bought mine at Interior Offroad in Edmonton. They don't carry them but they were able to source one for me at the time. Bestop is a big Jeep supplier so I suspect anyone selling Jeep soft tops from Bestop could get you one of their toppers.

I liked the Bestop over the other options because of the side windows, I leave them off in the summer for the dogs but I can zip them in and seal it up decently if it's cold out.

Shouldn't look bad on the dark color but I am not sure about it being a dodge...