Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
Why don’t you guy’s shoot off your pack? Eliminates even more weight.
Was kinda wondering that myself, not sure there is a steadier field rest than prone off the pack.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Was kinda wondering that myself, not sure there is a steadier field rest than prone off the pack.

The only thing steadier in my opinion is with the bipod down and the pack under the stock. Absolute rock solid.

So I agree with wildwood; even though I pretty much only shoot out to 350yds, I would imagine reaching out with a bipod and pack under the stock in mountain conditions would be ideal!

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Yep. Swivel mount telescoping bipods. Way better than a pack.
Often I find myself dumping my pack on a stalk anyways. I like my rest- right up front. I’ll take the weight penalty all day every day. But I also haul in around 7 extra pounds so I can eat fresh food like steak and oranges in base camp. I’ll eat mountain house too but prefer fresh
Old 12-22-2021, 05:53 AM

I can shoot sub moa groups on paper and havent missed yet in the field shooting prone off a pack so not sure you guys would ever convince me to carry a bipod. Well actually I'm darn sure lol. To each their own though everyone will do what works for them.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Folks can debate the pros and cons of attached bipod versus prone off the pack until the cows come home. I can get steadier off a quality bipod, but still choose leave it at home on multi day backpack sheep trips. To each their own.

Whatever you choose, make sure to practice first. As for Wildwoods comment on dumping the pack on a stalk, I can count at least 4 times that I’ve regretted leaving my pack behind on a stalk! Usually has to do with finding myself in a position but needing to wait for a shot and freezing my butt off for 3hrs in the cold/wind/snow. Another time I had a hard time finding my pack.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Folks can debate the pros and cons of attached bipod versus prone off the pack until the cows come home. I can get steadier off a quality bipod, but still choose leave it at home on multi day backpack sheep trips. To each their own.

Whatever you choose, make sure to practice first. As for Wildwoods comment on dumping the pack on a stalk, I can count at least 4 times that I’ve regretted leaving my pack behind on a stalk! Usually has to do with finding myself in a position but needing to wait for a shot and freezing my butt off for 3hrs in the cold/wind/snow. Another time I had a hard time finding my pack.
Ya leaving your pack is a bad idea always
Shooting off a pack is just as good as a bipod
If you want more shooting positions or more stability put an arca rail on your rifle and shoot off your tripod. Then you can leave the bipod at home
Old 12-22-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post

You're right- practice is the key. I always encourage guys to get off the dumb bench. There's no benches in the field! The most under practiced/cared about hunting skill is quality shooting. I see it time and time again.

I have also lived to regret a pack dump on a sheep stalk. I killed the sheep after freezing my butt off on the mountain, staring at him sleep for 2.5 hrs. That could easily have been avoided. But in that case, the pack would not have been a suitable rest as it was a major downhill shot. Was happy to have the ole extendable bipods with me!
Old 12-22-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Ya leaving your pack is a bad idea always
Shooting off a pack is just as good as a bipod
Yep and yep.
I even use a pack for deer hunting. I've shot some of my better deer using my pack for a rest
Old 12-22-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
You're right- practice is the key. I always encourage guys to get off the dumb bench. There's no benches in the field! The most under practiced/cared about hunting skill is quality shooting. I see it time and time again.
Amen brother!

If there is one shooting skill that many (myself included) need to work on, it is to quickly assess and decide which shooting position is appropriate given the situation, and to be able to quickly set up in the most steady way possible.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:48 PM

2000 dry fires off hand a year for trigger control....minimum
Old 05-04-2022, 01:20 PM

Well just loaded my 7800 kuiu pack for a hike planned later , here is my weight, all in with tent sleeping bag 8 days of food, the whole kit, less gun spotting scope, tripod and water pack weight 39 ponds.jpg 39 pounds
Old 05-06-2022, 11:42 AM

Ok here is my sheep/ hike gear,
HTML Code:
[HTML][HTML][HTML][PHP][PHP][ATTACH]179463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]179464[/ATTACH][/PHP][/PHP]
[/HTML][/HTML][/HTML]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sheep hile gear.jpg (26.5 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Food for hikeing.jpg (22.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-06-2022, 11:45 AM

Here is the list of pack at 39 pounds, so plus gun 6 pounds spotting scope 3 pounds and tripod 3 pounds, so plus 12 pounds for sheep hunting

Sheet of pack list 2.jpg

Sheet of pack list.jpg
Old 05-07-2022, 10:00 AM

Good looking list i will post my gear list once I’m sorted for my goat hunt but plan to be in the same ball park.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:12 PM

I’ve got my list, depending on the hunt and time of year it will go up and down in weight but for a September hunt it’s pretty basic

https://lighterpack.com/r/8cytsb
Old 06-16-2022, 01:13 PM

Working on my pack for my Mountain Goat in October, this list is specifically items in my pack not what I will be wearing. Few small additions but pretty close I will weight my pack before heading out.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:18 AM

Default Lol!

I've never needed a list and don't weigh my pack.

These lists to me are like the husband and wife backing in a travel trailer at the campground with headsets and back up cameras. Takes twice as long and you end up in the same spot. I kind of just set my lawn chair up and chuckle.

I haven't ever packed in too heavy and haven't forgotten anything.

I leave my gear semi packed so its confusing how many people stress about being organized. These lists make me think you hide everything on yourself spin around on a baseball bat ten times and then try pack your bag.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:38 AM

Well i do think that this thread is to see what others take on there trip, gives others ideas on this or that
Old 06-19-2022, 07:30 AM

I know exactly what I’m taking, but my first time sheep hunting friend had no idea where to start or what to look for. I also enjoy the gear side of it and have a few different options to choose from.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:17 AM

Astepanuk, I see you have a sleeping bag liner on your list. These liners have sparked my interest. Adding a bit more warmth without buying a new bag is appealing. Have you liked using it so far? Does it make it much tighter in the sleeping bag?
Old 06-19-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
Astepanuk, I see you have a sleeping bag liner on your list. These liners have sparked my interest. Adding a bit more warmth without buying a new bag is appealing. Have you liked using it so far? Does it make it much tighter in the sleeping bag?

I really love my liner definitely boost your bag temp ability with out having to buy a new Bag. My trip will be a Goat hunt in October northern BC temps could drop for a couple oz its great.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Working on my pack for my Mountain Goat in October, this list is specifically items in my pack not what I will be wearing. Few small additions but pretty close I will weight my pack before heading out.

Your going with the kuiu ultra for a october hunt?
No down pants?
In northern bc?
Old 06-20-2022, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Your going with the kuiu ultra for a october hunt?
No down pants?
In northern bc?
\

Hey Mark,

I'm planning to take my Western Mountaineering Ultra light rated for -7 with my liner. We will most likely taking my Seek Titanium stove but my partner will be carrying that. I have my super down pro Pants available if the temps are forecasted to be lower. Hunting Coastal Goats.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
\

Hey Mark,

I'm planning to take my Western Mountaineering Ultra light rated for -7 with my liner. We will most likely taking my Seek Titanium stove but my partner will be carrying that. I have my super down pro Pants available if the temps are forecasted to be lower. Hunting Coastal Goats.
That’s a lot of down for hunting the coast where it rains a lot
Old 06-20-2022, 10:07 AM

Yah wasn't planning to take my super Down on this trip unless the forcast calls for it.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
\

Hey Mark,

Who you hunting with? Ive done the hunt out there for the past 2 years.
Old 06-20-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
That’s a lot of down for hunting the coast where it rains a lot
agreed, synthetic is the king on the coast. october is typically rainy season out there.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:55 PM

Where do you see to much Down, the only thing with down is my Jacket that I will most likely never wear since my main jacket is Kuiu Guide not on the list since not in my pack and sleeping bag highly unlikely I will bring my super down pants.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
\

Hey Mark,

Have a look at TAIGA works bags, made in Canada i assume, my bag is the morning star, -20 medium 2.83 pounds, works for me with my thermorest xtherm 19 oz
Old 06-21-2022, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Where do you see to much Down, the only thing with down is my Jacket that I will most likely never wear since my main jacket is Kuiu Guide not on the list since not in my pack and sleeping bag highly unlikely I will bring my super down pants.
All your insulation is down
Your bag is down
Your in a floorless tent
100% its going to rain during your trip

Hope your kutana rain gear is new, unused, unwashed with the original coating

Its "cool" to shave every ounce you can so that you can post online how you have the lightest pack. The reality is, that not being prepared with the "right" gear or using gear that will work in a wider variety of conditions can lead to a shortened hunt