Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-22-2022, 08:08 PM

Default Sig Sauer BDX System - 300 RUM and 6.5 PRC Test

Well I finally got to wring out my Christensen arms mesa long range in 6.5 PRC with the new sig sauer BDX combination 2200 BDX range finder paired with the sig sauer sierra 3 BDX 4.5 x 14 x 50mm scope.

Before today I had only tested it out to 400 yards and it seemed to be very close, well today I took it out to 724 yards, it came in about 5" high so I needed to adjust the bullet speed in the system but the group was nice. it is one of my go to hunting rifles and it really shoots nice, the attached pic is of a 4 shot group at 724 yards.

Hornady 143 gr eldx precession hunter factory ammo, I have a handload with the same bullets and US869 powder that is a bit faster and just as accurate but I didn't run it through the gun today, I'll get to that next time out, old guys can only shoot so much on cool breezy days

target.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-22-2022, 08:13 PM

So was the wrong velocity entered, or do you need to fudge the velocity to calibrate the system?
Old 11-22-2022, 08:24 PM

I had the published factory velocity in my system 2960 FPS, I changed it to the chronographed velocity 3025 FPS but didn't save it so it reverted back and was impacting high.

Old 11-23-2022, 01:41 PM
Banned

shoot it through an accurate chronograph and try it again
If the impact point is off
You can use some of the ballistic calculators that will adjust the bc to the actual value
Old 11-23-2022, 08:13 PM

Oh yea I'll get it next time out, just need to make some adjustments in the program with velocity, or sight in zero at 100, 150 or 200 yards, play with it a bit and get the impact down where it should be

Old 03-24-2023, 05:45 AM

Spent some time yesterday verifying the Sig Sauer Sierra 3 BDX 4.5 - 14 x 50mm system on my 300 RUM, ran the loads over the magneto speed and average was 3092 with only 9 FPS ES on 5 loads with the 190gr NABLR and a healthy charge of H1000, I did this while getting absolute dead on at 100 yards, updated all the data into the program on my phone, bonded the range finder and the scope and started shooting.

The first distance was on a 8" x 8" plate at 456 yards, 2 center hits, moved out to a 10" circle plate at 560 yards 2 more hits, then out to a 12" x 12" plate at 662 yards and 2 more hits and 1 miss ( me not the gun ) burned up another 10 rounds moving back and forth to the different ranges after each shot just to ensure the range finder and scope were re calculating and adjusting for the various ranges, it worked flawless.

I have another scope but not sure what it will go on yet, it was on my 6.5 PRC but I swapped it out for a nightforce NX8 as I wanted to go out farther, I was ringing the plate at 966 yesterday with the 6.5 PRC and 142gr NABLR with a full charge of US869.

There was a lot of mirage as the sun started to warm things up around noon and the glare from the snow made shooting tough, of course with all the snow our trails are all drifted in so we are limited to shooting south which doesn't help when the sun is bright, all in all it was a great afternoon, burned some gun powder and rung some steel, there were 5 of us in total out shooting with various guns a 6 BR, 300 Norma, 6 CM, 6.5 CM, 300 RUM, 6.5 PRC, 243 and 223, what a hoot.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:21 AM

Sounds like you had a blast. I enjoy the bdx system as I finally was able to finish it off with the sierra 6 scope for the wifes 7mm-08.

I was out playing with it a few times now out to 550 yrds. Why only 550, well because our range has a smaller plate at that range. I want to say 16" plate.

The plate at 650 yrds is 6 ft across, so takes away from the fun. No plates at 700M and 800M, and the next one at 900 M, which is just out of range for the bino bdx system without kestrel.

Some nice shooting there!