Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-11-2022, 05:26 PM

Default Fur hats

Does anyone make fur hats from my furs.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:38 PM

I have done some stitching of fur making gauntlets and fur collar trims. I have hand stitched a couple of deer and elk skin war shirts too. With a pattern I'm sure I could make a hat or two. I would need to know what kind of fur you have and style you want. Anything I would make would be hand stitched. I would take on such a project for free if you supply the materials. Just to fill my time.

I have been in cancer treatments for the past couple months and have had to isolate myself from people, so my days and nights have been very long as I live alone. It would be a good project to fill my time. I have responded well to treatments so life will go on for a while.

I will say that fur hats are only good for really cold weather or you will be sweating. I have my grandfather's world war 1 buffalo hat and it has to be minus 40 to wear it without sweating.

Hopefully you find someone. There should be someone on the forum with a leather sowing machine that is more well versed although anything I make wouldn't look too rustic. Message me if interested and we can talk.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-11-2022, 08:23 PM

Default Fur hat

Hi Red, Good to hear your treatments are working.
I am looking for for a pattern. I hope to get a hat that does not look too as you say "rustic". When you mention buffalo hide, I had made a vest from a fall calf buffalo hide with fur on . There are several buffalo pieces left over along with tanned moose hide pieces that I could send you for a project to help keep you busy.
Send me a mailing address.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:11 AM
AO Sponsor

Can get it done, Pm me

Actually email me

coyklr@hotmail.com
Old 12-13-2022, 10:12 AM

Default Hat

Found leather sewing machine near me. Thanks
Old 12-13-2022, 11:34 AM

Default racoon skin hats

Just noticed this thread. I skinned out 3 raccoons that my son shot this fall. We would like hats made including the tail of course. Would anyone be interested/willing to make 2 hats?
I am in Sh Park. I would have to get them tanned of course

Vance