Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2023, 07:30 AM

Default So who is looking at new fishing kayaks

After getting into kayak fishing in 2020 I sold my big boat and only run the kayak now. I started out with a 12ft Hobie compass that has treated me very well with no complaints. It was a great choice as my first fishing kayak to see if kayak fishing was really for me without breaking the bank but now I am considering an upgrade.

With all the aspects of the Hobie fin style drives I like I can’t see myself looking at other brands. Right now I am looking at the Hobie outback with the 180 drive or maybe go all out and get a 12ft pro angler with the 360 drive

Anyone have experience with these models?

Who else is looking at fishing kayaks dreaming of open water?
Old 02-06-2023, 08:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Always in the back of my mind, often my go to boat is my yak, just peaceful.

Old Town Sportsman Salty PDL 120 has my eye for upgrading

A few more months of ice fishing then the switch gets turned on for back bay walleye and pike

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-06-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Always in the back of my mind, often my go to boat is my yak, just peaceful.

Old Town Sportsman Salty PDL 120 has my eye for upgrading

A few more months of ice fishing then the switch gets turned on for back bay walleye and pike
That was a kayak I considered when I bought my compass. The salty is supposed to be quick but not as stable. The stability of the compass and the Hobie drive being weedless was why I passed on the salty

Covering lots of water with less weeds I think the salty would be nice
Old 02-06-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
That was a kayak I considered when I bought my compass. The salty is supposed to be quick but not as stable. The stability of the compass and the Hobie drive being weedless was why I passed on the salty

Covering lots of water with less weeds I think the salty would be nice
Yeah I hear you on the stability etc that's why the Sportsman 120 pdl is getting tossed around too, plus it has in hull dry storage....weedless is definitely a bonus and I can see where popping up the drive and going to a paddle could be a pain.

Kinda a good site to read on yaks, many out there helping narrow the decision down to preference.

https://www.happinesswithout.com/kay...kayak-fishing/

Old 02-06-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah I hear you on the stability etc that's why the Sportsman 120 pdl is getting tossed around too, plus it has in hull dry storage....weedless is definitely a bonus and I can see where popping up the drive and going to a paddle could be a pain.

Kinda a good site to read on yaks, many out there helping narrow the decision down to preference.

https://www.happinesswithout.com/kay...kayak-fishing/
Sportsman is nice and old towns in general are quality kayaks. I just find the Hobie fin style drive has more advantages/tricks for my use that I would loose out on with the prop drive

YouTube I find is great when you are checking out different models
Old 02-06-2023, 10:26 AM

hard to go wrong with any of these high end fishing kayaks now.

The only thing is kayak fishing boats are getting so expensive.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-06-2023, 05:17 PM

The 106pdl little slower but fun to stand and cast out of, weeds not really an issue, now if your a bass fisherman thats another story.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerman View Post
The 106pdl little slower but fun to stand and cast out of, weeds not really an issue, now if your a bass fisherman thats another story.

Yeah but if you hang in pike territory those weeds can be a pain in the arse.
You would be consistently lifting up the pedal drive to clear the prop.
Best just lift it up and paddle your way around the thick crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-06-2023, 06:54 PM

I built a rowing bracket and used it on my 17' freighter canoe for much of last year, and I gotta say, while its gone out of fashion, a good set of oars is a highly efficient way to move a displacement hull long distances. Not sure if I'll get around to it this year, but I'm pretty sure I'll be building a rowboat in the semi-near future.

Sometimes I'll get out on the lake at Canyon, and end up rowing the 5km or so to Canyon Creek just for the hell of it, thats not something I typically do in a kayak.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-06-2023 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:57 PM

Not new but I got a jackson big tuna last year. Didn't get it out for fishing but got a fish finder on boxing day, going to set it up and head out this year!
Old 02-07-2023, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Not new but I got a jackson big tuna last year. Didn't get it out for fishing but got a fish finder on boxing day, going to set it up and head out this year!
Be careful, it’s addictive and yard chores etc get put on the back burner

Old 02-07-2023, 07:23 AM

Oh I made the mistake and called in to check on availability and prices

An upgrade is happening just need to decide on the model now. Wife is in full support as long as she gets a Bimini top and storage inserts for her present Hobie compass

It comes down to a heavy luxury battle ship with all the fancy stuff or the faster more nibble kayak with better storage/accessories/more comfortable chair then my present model but still a reasonable weight
Old 02-07-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
this is a real good kayak. the weight capacity and stability with two people on it is insanely good. Its one heavy beast but the fishabiltiy is really good! The center hatch i drilled holes in mine and turned it into a livewell.

I purchased mine in 2012 and i still have it now. Its been on the ocean and around the central alberta lakes with me.

Respect wildlife
Old 02-07-2023, 02:43 PM

When I'm prospecting new water, or going to lakes and ponds where the parking might be some distance from the launch point, I use my 10 year-old Hobie PA12. It's the 4th Hobie I've owned, and although a heavy kayak when fully rigged - it's still my favourite. It's been camping, duck hunting, to the Pacific, big lakes and tiny ponds, and I've dragged that thing on its two-wheel cart from the trail-heads of more than a few mountain lakes in Jasper & Banff National Parks.

But as I approach 70, I'm not as flexible as I used to be, and twisting around to access the rear deck, standing up or getting in/out isn't so easy anymore! So if I can launch very near (or directly into) the water, I find I'm trailering my 10' Pelican Bass Raider more and more often! I can stand, or sit up straight and swivel around and access anything with ease. Casting the fly-rod is easier too, when I'm not in the low-slung kayak cock-pit! Not as easy to slip between the reeds into the water as my Hobie, and a trolling motor is a 'must-have' on the 'Raider, but it'll extend this old fart's time on the water for a few more years.

If there's any other kayakers facing disability concerns that might be forcing them off the water - you may wish to check out the Pelican Bass Raider 10E. There's a ton of YouTube videos on it.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:36 PM

I'm on year 3 with an Outback. Overall I've been very happy with it. In addition to the drive system, the double rails are one of the features that you will really get to like. Down rigger mounts across both tracks doesn't budge or flex. Lots of room to mount electronics and other gadgets. Very stable and maneuverable. Had it in the ocean this summer chasing salmon. No issues. Only thing I had to add was an anchor trolley and a crate.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I'm on year 3 with an Outback. Overall I've been very happy with it. In addition to the drive system, the double rails are one of the features that you will really get to like. Down rigger mounts across both tracks doesn't budge or flex. Lots of room to mount electronics and other gadgets. Very stable and maneuverable. Had it in the ocean this summer chasing salmon. No issues. Only thing I had to add was an anchor trolley and a crate.
The more research I do the more the Outback seems like the right model to fit my needs. Your experience seems to match the reviews I have found
Old 02-08-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Does this have the ability for reverse drive too without pulling the drive out?

Any issues with the drive system to date?

Old 02-08-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:

The outback’s come with a 180 drive same as the compass I have been running for the last 2 years. You don’t need to pull the drive to switch from forward to reverse with the 180 drive. There is a green cable to engage forward and a red for reverse. Only real difference with the Outback drive it comes standard with longer fins improving to speed

The wife and I both have been running 12ft Hobie compass with the 180 drive exclusively(big boat never seen water and then was sold) for the last 2 years. No issues with the kayak or drive and my wife likes hers so much she just wants a few accessories instead of upgrading to another model. I am only upgrading for the better options for attaching accessories/electronics, nicer chair, and better storage. I work a rotation where I am off 50% of the time and I am fishing a lot more than the average angler can during open water

In my research the only Hobie drive that had issues and rumored to be improved now is the 360 drive. Very cool drive that basically makes it so the boat can go in any direction even crab walk and angles. But there is a price tag with it and I am hesitant if it is durable enough for me

I recommend checking out the Hobie kayaks if you want a pedal drive as they can do things prop drives cannot. They have a long history in the industry. The downside to Hobie Kayaks you do pay for what you get

Since getting my kayak I have tried a few prop driven kayaks and they are nice but would fall short of the fin drive for how I fish.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:

No issues with drive system. A cable is pulled to reverse the drive. The drive does not need to come out.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:12 AM

howbout we all pitch for this one. haha

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-fiesta/

We can all pedal together

Respect wildlife
Old 02-08-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It comes down to a heavy luxury battle ship with all the fancy stuff
This describes mine to a T. I'm an outsider with a Wilderness Systems Recon. Such a heavy beast to transport but fantastic once on the water. Lots of storage and very stable.

Its a prop drive which actually works really well to hold on a spot when jigging in the ocean. The forward/ reverse works flawlessly. I really enjoy trolling from it and getting a little workout at the same time.

I would still really like to try a Hobie Outback/ Pro Angler/ Compass, Old Town Sportsman, Jackson Tuna....
Old 02-08-2023, 12:44 PM

Three things I like about the Hobie 'fin' system, compared to a prop system are:

If you need to transverse matts of surface weeds, you can easily hold the fins very close to the hull, (or pull it out) and use your paddle

If you do get weeds caught on your fins, it's quick & easy to pop the drive out, clean them off, and continue on your way.

If you're in shallow water on a slow current stream, you can use your fins to gently 'pinch' the bottom, and hold your position.

My Hobies were/are all 'old style' - no 'reverse'. I've just kept the paddle handy for 'reverse gear' !
Old 02-08-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post

They call tandem kayaks divorce kayaks so I could just imagine the fights this one could cause
Old 02-08-2023, 04:56 PM

My wife and I have Pelican The Catch 120 kayaks, and also The Catch 100. I've got the green camo jobby, hers is the orange tiger stripe.

The 100 is of course 10' and the 120's are 12'ers.

Most of our kayaking is on the McLeod R. We put in at various points from Rosevear Ferry on down to a spot above Groat Creek, and from those points float to takeout points along the river.

As the river can get quite shallow at times, we have no need for the fancy kayaks that have swim fins off the bottom.
They'd get mangled in the McLeod R. anyway.

We almost never do lakes, but these boats paddle nicely, when we do.

These Pelicans are very well made, they don't have the sexy name or HIGH $$ figure of the fancy boats, but they are rugged as hell. Very stable. Easily carry overnight camping gear. The seats are pretty comfortable too.

And the river does most of the work, although if the breeze comes up there's some stretches of flat water that can take a fair bit of paddling.

On my boat nothing fancy. A Garmin 4DV fishfinder, an old milk cart with homemade rod holders (ABS pipe notched out).

Overnight trip from a couple years ago.

Packed up and moving down river to the next camp spot.

I built my kayak kart out of ABS pipe. Use the karts for wheeling the kayaks from the shed to the truck, or down to the river.

Brand new before I added any accessories.

On both my kayak and the wife's I bought 8" storage covers and added them to the flat area behind the back storage area.

The boat all rigged up and maybe you can just see that 8" back storage access cover...

I used to fool around in this Pelican Maxim 100 (10'er) but it was just too small.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 02-08-2023, 09:39 PM

I wish I had saved my money and waited till I could afford an Oldtown, I ended up buying a Riot Mako 12 and while it has served me well, the durability really left something to be desired. Have had to plastic weld a bunch of cracks on it so far and it is currently sitting in storage with a couple more cracks that I have to fix come spring time. The pedal drive is decent but it has a pretty annoying squeak sometimes that I just cannot get rid of. Still though, I've caught a lot of fish on it, so I can't complain, better than fishing from the shore!
Old 02-08-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post

Party Boat! And with 4 pedal drives we could probably get that baby on plane lol
Old 02-09-2023, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
My wife and I have Pelican The Catch 120 kayaks, and also The Catch 100. I've got the green camo jobby, hers is the orange tiger stripe.

The 100 is of course 10' and the 120's are 12'ers.

Most of our kayaking is on the McLeod R. We put in at various points from Rosevear Ferry on down to a spot above Groat Creek, and from those points float to takeout points along the river.

As the river can get quite shallow at times, we have no need for the fancy kayaks that have swim fins off the bottom.
They'd get mangled in the McLeod R. anyway.

We almost never do lakes, but these boats paddle nicely, when we do.

These Pelicans are very well made, they don't have the sexy name or HIGH $$ figure of the fancy boats, but they are rugged as hell. Very stable. Easily carry overnight camping gear. The seats are pretty comfortable too.

And the river does most of the work, although if the breeze comes up there's some stretches of flat water that can take a fair bit of paddling.

On my boat nothing fancy. A Garmin 4DV fishfinder, an old milk cart with homemade rod holders (ABS pipe notched out).

Overnight trip from a couple years ago.

Packed up and moving down river to the next camp spot.

I built my kayak kart out of ABS pipe. Use the karts for wheeling the kayaks from the shed to the truck, or down to the river.

Brand new before I added any accessories.

On both my kayak and the wife's I bought 8" storage covers and added them to the flat area behind the back storage area.

The boat all rigged up and maybe you can just see that 8" back storage access cover...

I used to fool around in this Pelican Maxim 100 (10'er) but it was just too small.

Those are beauties, we run the pelican strike 120 and catch 120, I have had mine three years now, mine gets used two to three times a week and have not had any issues to date but what can go wrong with it? Really? The only thing I am wanting is to have the ability to troll for long periods of time for lakers etc that’s why I am tossing the idea around of a pedal drive....6 hours of paddling sure builds the arms up, kinda need the legs to look proportionate to my upper body

This is a great thread for information, thx Smoky.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:46 AM

Great times on the yaks, always a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2023, 05:21 PM

I found a few other pics that show the 8" back storage compartments I put in our boats.
Because I bought these kayaks at different times, the covers are different manufacture, but essentially the same thing.
They really add a lot of storage.

My wife in the orange boat and he sister in the green boat.

Close-up of my kayak kart prior to modifying the wheels.

I up-sized the wheels from 8" to 16".

And what she looks like on the big tires.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 02-09-2023, 05:57 PM

Been in Hobie for 6yrs now.
Revo for 4 seasons and Outback for the last 2.
I couldn’t imagine being in a prop drive kayak ever. The 180 drive is nice but reverse is not that much of a necessity for me unless fishing for large pike up against the weeds.
Old town makes a decent kayak but the Sportsman is just way too basic. Not set up from the factory for customization nearly as much as the Hobies, Jackson’s or even Widerness Systems.

My 2cents.