Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2023, 02:06 PM

Default As your Attorney I recommend No. 7 Red Five of Diamonds

I'll correct that. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the Len Thompson No. 7 Red Five of Diamonds!!

No, I am not getting paid for this post, it's just an observation. Was at Calling looking for Perch. Instead, the Red Five of Diamonds with red maggots was getting hammered by walleye. Dead Sticks and Jaw Jackers just froze in, and holes 3 feet away where I was jigging the Red Five of Diamonds was getting hit over and over.

A Long time since I tried old faithful, and the fish insist on lots of action before they would hit the hook. Some of these walleye were hooked deep, so it was not necessarily a reaction strike.

Maybe some day Science will progress to the point where we can ask the fish just what they see in the red Five of Diamonds, but for now we just have to be happy with the results.

Drewski
Old 02-20-2023, 02:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Never right off the Len Thompson for any type of fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-20-2023, 03:41 PM

Nicest perch I ever seen caught was on a five o' diamonds - my fishing partner was casting a smaller one into the weeds at reindeer lake and a really nice perch grabbed it.

For me - When perch are aggressive - nothing beats a micro sized rattlin' rap - the minute it starts to make noise they are on it in a flash. A close second is the rattlin' flyer. Best lure ever made for ice fishing walleye and perch.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:33 PM

It's funny you made this post when you did. A fellow I have been fishing with most of the winter uses a UV Five of Diamonds more often than not and has caught some really nice fish with it (including a 9lb walleye last year). So I finally caved in and bought a couple to add to my arsenal. Then I came home and saw this post. Spot on.

P.S. He uses red maggots too. Uncanny...

Old 02-20-2023, 10:09 PM

OK I CONFESS!!! I too have the UV red 5 of diamonds.

I was fishing "old school" this weekend, but I have used the UV version with great success as well especially in low light.

Drewski
Old 02-21-2023, 08:47 AM

Woah! Need sunglasses when looking at the new UV version. Nice!

You know, I always keep mine in my open water tackle box and readily accessible. Might have to keep one in my ice tackle box now
Old 02-21-2023, 10:05 AM

not sure what they did but the new UV glow is pretty intense.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 02-21-2023, 10:10 AM

Caught my biggest perch ever trolling a five of diamond in Len Thompson largest size at joker lake east of peace river in the early 90s.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:44 AM

Has been my lure of choice this season. Had a friend show me the ways last March as he kept pulling up the perch with it. As well as a nice walleye and white.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:37 AM

IMO fishing is all a game of putting something a fish wants to hit in the right spot. If you've got a 5D on your line you've most likely got one half of the equasion correct, and can just concentrate on the other half. Pretty sure I've caught almost every species of gamefish in AB on them as well as large and smallmouth bass, with uncanny consistency. I routinely hit the water with little more than a few Len Thompsons, some white MR Twisters, and almost never get skunked.

In Aprill I'll be taking some to Mexico, along with a few large Buzzbombs and Deadly Dick's. I'm betting the fish down there will like the Canadian classics too.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-21-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:19 PM

Well getting fish with a 5 of diamonds is a definite perk, you can really make an outing complete with a 4 pack of these (super cans):

https://www.blindmanbrewing.com/beer...monds-pilsner/

My buddy dropped off a pack for me when I had the ice shack at Gull this year. I wish I would have had a hook to match but the beer made me forget that I was not catching...or at least softened the blow.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:03 PM

My favorite lures by far! Always stock up when I visit the parents in Alberta!!! Wife and I had custom Len Thompsons made for our wedding.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:51 PM

Every couple years have to do an on-line order with Len Thompson. Always get a hand written note of Thanks. And they catch fish.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-22-2023, 06:44 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Every couple years have to do an on-line order with Len Thompson. Always get a hand written note of Thanks. And they catch fish.
Yup, this is one lure company that just makes you feel like family, did the factory tour, chatted, ordered items always with the note of appreciation.

Great people, great company and great lures.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup, this is one lure company that just makes you feel like family, did the factory tour, chatted, ordered items always with the note of appreciation.

Great people, great company and great lures.
Worth noting that most of their competators have moved production to China... and still want to charge more for their products. Meanwhile Len Thompson manages to pay Alberta wages, follow Alberta environmental and safety laws, and still sell their product competatively. They are among the last of a bygone era, I do my best to keep them alive.
Old 02-22-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Worth noting that most of their competators have moved production to China... and still want to charge more for their products. Meanwhile Len Thompson manages to pay Alberta wages, follow Alberta environmental and safety laws, and still sell their product competatively. They are among the last of a bygone era, I do my best to keep them alive.
Point well made!

I ordered two size 6 and two size 7 yesterday.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:00 PM

I didn't know Len was local to AB. I will be supporting them over other similar but cheaper lures from now on. Out to get some 5oD now, hopefully get a couple fish on tomorrow 😁
Old 02-22-2023, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJHoban View Post
I didn't know Len was local to AB. I will be supporting them over other similar but cheaper lures from now on. Out to get some 5oD now, hopefully get a couple fish on tomorrow 😁
Are they not around the Lacombe area?

Yes I just googled it. I'll have to stop in next time I'm in the area.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Are they not around the Lacombe area?

Yes I just googled it. I'll have to stop in next time I'm in the area.

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk
Check out 5 of diamonds lure display too and dont forget to take the tour of their facility.

Super cool how they go about making lures.

https://www.lenthompson.com/worlds-largest-lure.html

Giant pike in action

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/lifelike-...home-1.4999784

Old 02-23-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Check out 5 of diamonds lure display too and dont forget to take the tour of their facility.

Giant pike in action

Back in the '90's used to deliver coils of brass to them to stamp out their lures. Then pick up the scrap brass and take it back to be smelted and turned into more coils. Often they'd throw me a hook or two. Also had some custom lures painted for my business that mimicked their red devils.

Not sure if they're still into smokers and pellets, but used to bring these to them as well.

BW
Old 02-23-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Giant pike in action

Those are pretty cool. Definitely 2 things I'll have to check out

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Giant pike in action

Always wanted to visit the factory and the lure. Just dont venture farther north than the red deer.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:30 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Always wanted to visit the factory and the lure. Just dont venture farther north than the red deer.
Road trip

Old 02-24-2023, 09:22 AM

Lawyer Daggett would approve! My first memories with the Len Thompson spoons was about 50 years ago fishing for lakers in the NWT. I thought they were huge!
Old 02-26-2023, 04:37 PM

Got my order today - 2 #6 FOD and 2 #7 FOD. It comes with a hand written note:

Quote:
Thank you for your order. We appreciate the support of our Canadian (Alberta!) made lures & family business. Happy Fishing!!
What company takes the time to do that... Len Thompson.

Looking forwards to the fishing part next.

Cheers!
Old 02-26-2023, 04:58 PM

When I was a kid we always thought the red and white dardevl was the killer spoon...
Then in my adult years I somehow ended up with a FoD on a trip to N Manitoba.
First cast - pike etc. etc. etc
This has to be the most effective pike spoon ever
Works on other types of fish but if there are pike in the water body I think that you have to catch all of them to get a shot at anything else.
Don't have a UV one but will order one - although if it's more effective than the traditional one it will make for some very short fishing days
Old 02-26-2023, 05:18 PM

I now have three spoon aprons filled with two spoons in each pocket(NK28/NK Mag) of Northern King spoons. I was ecstatic when I saw Len Thompson had bought the rights and molds to produce them from the original manufacturers family several years after his passing and they were no longer being produced. Paint finishes are of a different texture but the lures are every bit as effective and well made as the originals. My favorite spoon of all time. I have a few of the FOD's too in the largest size for trolling for pike and lakers when they are running on the surface after ice out. I've always ordered them from their website and they have been awesome to deal with and thrown in a few freebies for me in new colours to try.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone pics 062.jpg (46.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 02-26-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
When I was a kid we always thought the red and white dardevl was the killer spoon...
Then in my adult years I somehow ended up with a FoD on a trip to N Manitoba.
First cast - pike etc. etc. etc
This has to be the most effective pike spoon ever
Works on other types of fish but if there are pike in the water body I think that you have to catch all of them to get a shot at anything else.
Don't have a UV one but will order one - although if it's more effective than the traditional one it will make for some very short fishing days
I personally have not had better luck with the UV model over the traditional colors.

When I was a kid Len Thompsons were pretty much all we used. As I got older I moved onto bigger and better things... until I spent a whole summer road tripping and fishing my way through NWT, and almost every single fish was caught on a Len Thompson... not for lack of trying other presentations. Since then I've slowly been de-evolving back into a spoon chucking knuckle dragger. No regrets.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:12 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I personally have not had better luck with the UV model over the traditional colors.

When I was a kid Len Thompsons were pretty much all we used. As I got older I moved onto bigger and better things... until I spent a whole summer road tripping and fishing my way through NWT, and almost every single fish was caught on a Len Thompson... not for lack of trying other presentations. Since then I've slowly been de-evolving back into a spoon chucking knuckle dragger. No regrets.
I use the UV ones for jigging lakers 100 fow water and deeper....works great, no.2 size.

Took a bunch of the dimple series with me to Mexico, Cuba, DR and caught lots of Cudas trolling over a ship wreck, stop and jig and caught all types of reef fish etc.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I use the UV ones for jigging lakers 100 fow water and deeper....works great, no.2 size.

Took a bunch of the dimple series with me to Mexico, Cuba, DR and caught lots of Cudas trolling over a ship wreck, stop and jig and caught all types of reef fish etc.
Wondering how the brass series handles the saltwater? I've used them in the salt a few times but always took the Platinum ones as a precation.

I've jigged them, tossed them, and trolled them. All sizes and species, from Saskatchewan to Alaska... When the flourescent orange and white came out it replaced my "red devils" pretty quickly, when I saw the new colors I was expecting the same, but the old 5d is in no danger of being phased out of my tacklebox.

Hard to tell what stuff looks like underwater, a few years back I was given a custom LT at a wedding. It was sort of a dull, darkish grey with a purple stripe down one side... didnt look like much to me so I didnt use it for years. Tied it on one day and to my surprise that thing darn near glowed underwater. Caught fish like crazy too untill I lost it, I bet that cheap dutchman still has boxes of them horded in his basement too.