Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2023, 01:43 AM

Default Calling floodwater/snow

How is the lake access for trucks ? Or do you need a sled ? Have both but would prefer to know which to bring
Thanks
Old 03-20-2023, 12:08 PM

Default Walleye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I'll correct that. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND the Len Thompson No. 7 Red Five of Diamonds!!

No, I am not getting paid for this post, it's just an observation. Was at Calling looking for Perch. Instead, the Red Five of Diamonds with red maggots was getting hammered by walleye. Dead Sticks and Jaw Jackers just froze in, and holes 3 feet away where I was jigging the Red Five of Diamonds was getting hit over and over.

A Long time since I tried old faithful, and the fish insist on lots of action before they would hit the hook. Some of these walleye were hooked deep, so it was not necessarily a reaction strike.

Maybe some day Science will progress to the point where we can ask the fish just what they see in the red Five of Diamonds, but for now we just have to be happy with the results.

Drewski
What depth were the walleye tks
Old 03-20-2023, 01:08 PM

Was at Calling on the weekend. There were walleye in the relative shallows of 20 FOW down to 7 FOW.

Fish were very negative though.

Access was very tough for trucks with no one venturing far due to the snowpack. One guy did make a run for VW Point and basically lost momentum and spun out to smooth ice after making a few miles from the boat launch area. There is a nasty hard crust layer which really robs power and makes turning around very difficult.

Drewski