Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-12-2023, 12:22 PM

Default Traditional muzzleloader?

I've had an urge to buy a traditional style muzzleloader lately, and try my hand at making my own powder and bullets. When I was a kid, you could buy all kinds of DIY blackpowder rifle kits, but it seems there is only 1 available now in Canada, a Traditions Kentucky rifle. Its ok, but not my first choice. Anyone know a source for more options? Going to stick with caplock I believe.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:26 PM

You’re very limited. There are some better high end kits available out of the US, not sure you can get one across the border. Kibler is the cutting edge. pedersoli May be an option or an Investarms Gemmer Hawken.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:24 AM

Percussion kits its in Canada are not available period unless you order one through a broker from the US all in very pricey.
The value of the traditional rifles have dropped considerably in the last few years, there are lots of safe queens available I bought a TC White mountain carbine in excellent shape for $300.
Supplies for 54 cal. are dying out fast, go with a 50 although most available bullets are geared towards inlines a round or a Minnie ball mold solves that.
Casting bullets I find relaxing camp stove, cast iron pan, mold and a spoon Bob's your uncle

In Canada supplies are thin a few suppliers scattered around shipping starts at $20 no one shop has everything, Track of the wolf has everything shipping start's at $40 US for anything even a nipple,
Most of the accessories required can be made yourself ball starters, powder horn, possibles bag etc. great for these long winters.
Shooting a caplock is more affordable these days than centerfire if you can find the supplies

Buying a used in good shape caplock and restocking it would be a good project option getting a blank imported is an option, always check the bore for rust and pitting a bore light would be an asset.

Last edited by bat119; 03-13-2023 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:01 AM

Will keep my eyes open for a good used one, might be the only good option sounds like.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:21 AM

Thompson center Hawken is the most popular stocks available

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml
Old 03-15-2023, 10:20 PM

Although quality kits are hard to find now a days there seems to be good deals on lightly if not unfired BP rifles.If your going for more of a traditional look the TC Renegades are nice shooters and seem to come up fore sale at reasonable prices. I have one of the older kit models with the set trigger in 54cal and have enjoyed it. As mentioned earlier the TC White mountain carbine are a very good option on the used market and are often under valued. I also picked one up in 50cal two years ago and it replaced my renegade in the field Last year as the weight made it enjoyable to carry and the rifle shoulders and points well. The rubber recoil pad although not as traditional looking is another positive over the Brass crescent moon of the renegade. Not long ago I think a member was selling a TC renegade and all the goodies needed to get started in the buy and sell section. Good luck with your search A
Old 04-10-2023, 04:30 PM

If you check October Country website; they have all kinds of stuff. They’re down in Hayden, Idaho. If you like to drive, head South from Cranbrook. I’m not sure what the rulings are on caplock kits but flintlocks are okay because of their antique classification.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:49 PM

If you were to buy/import a flintlock, it would be considered an antique firearm and be exempt from some of the B.S. that a cap lock entails.
Then if you were to change the lock from flintlock to cap lock…..
Old 04-11-2023, 06:37 AM

Pedersoli has a line of black powder kits, try contacting a local dealer like Prophet river or Bilozir