Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2023, 10:00 PM

Default A question about selling my pistol?

So I have a nice Dan Wesson bobtail stainless 9mm. I havn’t shot it in two years, I don’t get out enough and quite frankly find it boring. Bang, bang,bang, reload, uugh, lol.
My question is. Can I sell it to a business? Or am I forever obligated to babysit the thing. If Possible to sell, where’s the best plase to sell it. If legal and your a business, it could be yours.
Thanks,
Tullfan
Old 03-15-2023, 10:10 PM

You cannot as far as I'm aware. All transfers and sales were stopped with the October OIC. I suppose you could 'lend' it to someone with a restricted PAL, as long as they have the certificate it is legal. It would still be registered to you though. Maybe the friend could make a donation to you to build your doghouse. Friends are like that. But I would be quite careful about that type of long term loan. You could loan it to me, I will take good care of it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-15-2023, 10:42 PM

I still see some for sale that are labeled prohibited and available to military and law enforcement only. So does that mean they're available to whichever agency? Or the individual?

Are Leo's still allowed to possess and or aquire?

If the silliness that's been going on comes to an end it could be an easy sale.

I can match TC's offer and let you lend it to me for a while too. Who knows, it could lead to a future sale

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2023, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
I still see some for sale that are labeled prohibited and available to military and law enforcement only. So does that mean they're available to whichever agency? Or the individual?

I can match TC's offer and let you lend it to me for a while too. Who knows, it could lead to a future sale

I suppose for a pistol guy a nice stainless bobber commander length style, no slop, smooth action, accurate pistol might make a nice loaner. I guess for now it’ll sit. Sigh,
Thanks for the reply. Look for it in the for dale section as soon as legal, lol.

Tullfan
Old 03-16-2023, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Outside of work, LEO’s should not be able to buy or possess anything other than what us civilians can buy or own. Should be no different.

Still blows me away that some LEO’s don’t need a valid PAL(or whatever we call it now days) to legally carry on the job.

Some will correct me I’m sure, but I do know for a fact it was this way a few years ago. (Didn’t need a valid PAL to carry a sidearm for duty).
Old 03-16-2023, 05:16 AM

There could be a lot of handguns and military grade rifles get "stolen" before the confiscation.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
There could be a lot of handguns and military grade rifles get "stolen" before the confiscation.
But then could that not open ip a whole other set of possible legal problems for the owner? How’d they get stolen, safe storage, get where I’m going?

Tullfan
Old 03-16-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
But then could that not open ip a whole other set of possible legal problems for the owner? How’d they get stolen, safe storage, get where I’m going?

Tullfan
I once heard the idea of an old fellow that was terminally ill, who opined about sell his restricted illegally before his death without the knowledge of those who would be in charge of his estate after his passing. After he dies, the guns would be discovered to be missing and no one would know where they went.

He did not do this of course, but the idea was there and not hard to do.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
They will be.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:11 PM

I'm pretty sure, handguns can still be sold to select people (ATC holders) and businesses.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
I once heard the idea of an old fellow that was terminally ill, who opined about sell his restricted illegally before his death without the knowledge of those who would be in charge of his estate after his passing. After he dies, the guns would be discovered to be missing and no one would know where they went.

He did not do this of course, but the idea was there and not hard to do.
I like this idea. If I still have mine when the time comes, well, ya know…
Old 03-16-2023, 05:27 PM

Transfer is still possible as handguns are not banned ... yet. As the seller, you need to contact the CFC to initiate the transfer. Then wait for months as the CFC drags out the process.

My last transfer took several months. The biggest stumbling block was trying to get through the phone lines and speak to a clerk.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Transfer is still possible as handguns are not banned ... yet. As the seller, you need to contact the CFC to initiate the transfer. Then wait for months as the CFC drags out the process.

My last transfer took several months. The biggest stumbling block was trying to get through the phone lines and speak to a clerk.
Sorry, but this is wrong. OIC on October 21, 2022 stopped the sale, transfer, and import of all handguns in Canada. There is no more inititiating transfers at this point.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-16-2023, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
So I have a nice Dan Wesson bobtail stainless 9mm. I havn’t shot it in two years, I don’t get out enough and quite frankly find it boring. Bang, bang,bang, reload, uugh, lol.
My question is. Can I sell it to a business? Or am I forever obligated to babysit the thing. If Possible to sell, where’s the best plase to sell it. If legal and your a business, it could be yours.
Thanks,
Tullfan
Kinda pointless to own a handgun in Canada these days.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:11 PM

Not entirely FT. I still have a bunch, and shoot every week. And if it gets more stupid, I will export them all to my daughter and her husband in TX, and move into their basement!

Old 03-16-2023, 09:18 PM

Yep I finally got a chance to take my new Justin Trudeau 1911 to the range a couple of weekends ago. As you can see I fired a few warning shots before letting the bad guy have it.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:20 PM

Uh, that's not all so much center mass. But, as long as you had fun!

What helps me with my shooting, is remembering what every single round costs.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep I finally got a chance to take my new Justin Trudeau 1911 to the range a couple of weekends ago. As you can see I fired a few warning shots before letting the bad guy have it.
Is that at 100 yards?
Old 03-16-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Uh, that's not all so much center mass. But, as long as you had fun!

What helps me with my shooting, is remembering what every single round costs.
Tactical Dalai Lama says
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tdl rapid hits.jpg (24.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg tdl rain.jpg (32.3 KB, 77 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2023, 10:47 PM

I was just aimin for a maimin

Old 03-16-2023, 10:48 PM

Just hold onto it for now, eventually at some point we may have a leader who isn’t quite so dim and these random and arbitrary laws disappear.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:05 AM

Quote:

That’s like me. If I don’t getchya in ten, then I flip er over and it becomes a hammer. No plastic for me. I’m right handed and can’t see outta that eye so I aim with my left. Can’t hold it properly in my left hand so I kinda cock my head, aim and fire. If I start low and left, I’ll end up high and right. I’ll getchya, diagonal like. In all seriousness. I shoot ok, ish. I was going to do the black badge course but to find the time for one more hobby is hard, so the pistol suffers for it. I should have bought the revolver, I can shoot the single actions much better.
Anyway, guess I’ll wait out the storm like the rest of Canada.

Tullfan
Old 03-17-2023, 01:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Outside of work, LEO’s should not be able to buy or possess anything other than what us civilians can buy or own. Should be no different.

Still blows me away that some LEO’s don’t need a valid PAL(or whatever we call it now days) to legally carry on the job.

Some will correct me I’m sure, but I do know for a fact it was this way a few years ago. (Didn’t need a valid PAL to carry a sidearm for duty).
Military and police do not require a PAL for service weapons. What's the problem?
Old 03-17-2023, 01:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Military and police do not require a PAL for service weapons. What's the problem?
The problem is, they should have to. Period. Want to argue about it?

Military and police need to understand firearms policy and regulation that civilians have to go through. Most don’t. The reason they don’t is because they don’t understand or have to go through the PAL process.

Anyone who is going to carry, shoot for fun, practice, carry for work, should know the laws. Plenty of people carrying in this country don’t have a clue what civilians have to go through just to own, and shoot at a range.

Why should firearms laws apply to some but not others? Military and cops are special? Thanks for the laugh
Old 03-17-2023, 06:25 AM

just keep it till sparkle socks is gone , then we should be back to normal. he wont be here much longer , china will call him home soon.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Military and police need to understand firearms policy and regulation that civilians have to go through. Most don’t. The reason they don’t is because they don’t understand or have to go through the PAL process.

Anyone who is going to carry, shoot for fun, practice, carry for work, should know the laws. Plenty of people carrying in this country don’t have a clue what civilians have to go through just to own, and shoot at a range.

Why should firearms laws apply to some but not others? Military and cops are special? Thanks for the laugh
Have you gone through and experienced the training and education law enforcement and the military get for their jobs relating to firearms? If you have then carry on. If not I’d suggest you stop making comments as if you know.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Not entirely FT. I still have a bunch, and shoot every week. And if it gets more stupid, I will export them all to my daughter and her husband in TX, and move into their basement!
Maybe but it is such a hassle to own and use one in Canada. You are right I suppose, the OP could export that pistol to the us and sell It down here. What’s the liberals gunna do then?
Old 03-17-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Why would I want to argue with someone who isn't rational. You have a personal/uneducated opinion (agenda?). Run with it and see where it gets you.

Your opinion is not going to change the status quo. Why? Because your arguments are all about attitude and not about the public interest/public safety.

Firearms Act (Canada)
Section 3, subsection 2 of the Firearms Act, explicitly exempts the Canadian Forces from the entirety of the provisions of said Act. The military is exempt from many Acts in Canada.

There is good reason for this. Civilians "don't have a clue" (your choice of words) what weapons are available in an armoury, let alone recognize them. It does not further a soldiers effectiveness knowing what you believe to be a requirement (knowing what civilians go through to get a license).

Criminal Code 117.07 exempts "Public Officers" from specified regulations in the Firearms Act. There are many exemptions granted to police (and others who are defined as "Public Officers". The exemptions are deemed necessary in order for them to perform their duties. Civilians "don't have a clue" Check out all the exemptions to the Firearms Act provided in the Criminal Code 117.07. This will probably raise your blood pressure some...be careful.

If a police/military personnel want to own personal firearms, they must abide by the Firearms Act and go through the PAL process.

You don't like it? That's fine with me.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Why would I want to argue with someone who isn't rational. You have a personal/uneducated opinion (agenda?). Run with it and see where it gets you.

Your opinion is not going to change the status quo. Why? Because your arguments are all about attitude and not about the public interest/public safety.

Firearms Act (Canada)
Section 3, subsection 2 of the Firearms Act, explicitly exempts the Canadian Forces from the entirety of the provisions of said Act. The military is exempt from many Acts in Canada.

There is good reason for this. Civilians "don't have a clue" (your choice of words) what weapons are available in an armoury, let alone recognize them. It does not further a soldiers effectiveness knowing what you believe to be a requirement (knowing what civilians go through to get a license).

Criminal Code 117.07 exempts "Public Officers" from specified regulations in the Firearms Act. There are many exemptions granted to police (and others who are defined as "Public Officers". The exemptions are deemed necessary in order for them to perform their duties. Civilians "don't have a clue" Check out all the exemptions to the Firearms Act provided in the Criminal Code 117.07. This will probably raise your blood pressure some...be careful.

If a police/military personnel want to own personal firearms, they must abide by the Firearms Act and go through the PAL process.

You don't like it? That's fine with me.
If you have ever had to deal with the RCMP and the acts related to firearms you will come to the conclusion that most of them do not have a clue.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
If you have ever had to deal with the RCMP and the acts related to firearms you will come to the conclusion that most of them do not have a clue.
"Most of them"? You use those words because you have some statistics that back it up? We always hear about the ones that allegedly do not have a grasp on firearms law. My cousin told me that her third husband said...

We never hear about the "most of them" who are knowledgeable. And why would that be a topic on AO?