Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 11:09 AM

Default Carbon fiber arrow shaft for pillar bedding

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever used carbon fiber arrow shaft as a pillar for bedding? I usually use aluminum pillars and have even just poured pillars ( jb or devcon) and they worked great.. I have some carbon shaft cut offs from my last batch of arrows and thought hum...in an ultra light rig these might work as pillars with minimal weight penalty... just not certain if they have enough compression strength to be used as pillars.... thoughts??

Last edited by obsessed1; 03-20-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 11:29 AM

Hmm. I know in compression they are super strong, but if you are standing pieces up it would be a lateral force on them, correct? So not as strong in a lateral flex. If I'm picturing it right.

But, I dunno. Not an engineer.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-20-2023, 11:56 AM

Lamp nipples.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/atr...1375?rrec=true

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-20-2023, 12:05 PM

Not much lateral as they are bedded( epoxied) in. They would be under compression to allow 40-60inlb of torque on the action screws without compressing the stock... on another note do carbon fiber stocks benefit from pillar bedding? Or do they not compress? I've never had one myself.. on wood or injection moulded stocks, pillars add much needed compression strength but aluminum are fine as weight is not an issue..
Old 03-20-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Theres a good idea!... theres tone of products at the hardware store that a guy can use!
Old 03-20-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Now I am all excited…
Old 03-21-2023, 09:34 AM

Not really my idea, have to give credit to DLab.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-21-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever used carbon fiber arrow shaft as a pillar for bedding? I usually use aluminum pillars and have even just poured pillars ( jb or devcon) and they worked great.. I have some carbon shaft cut offs from my last batch of arrows and thought hum...in an ultra light rig these might work as pillars with minimal weight penalty... just not certain if they have enough compression strength to be used as pillars.... thoughts??
I don't think it would be a good idea. The lamp nipple idea is much better
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:11 AM

It would be easy enough to find out which is stronger by simply taking equal lengths and diamerers of pillars of various materials and slipping them over a bolt of equal size to your action screws. Putting a nut and washer, use an inch pound torque wrench to tighten the nut until the pillar deforms or shatters and note the torque setting when it does. Not very scientific but would be a good indicator of how each material behaves under compression.

Last edited by Bushrat; 03-22-2023 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:13 AM

Default carbon fiber shafts

I've got a Remington long action 700 that has carbon arrows shaft(s) imbedded in the forend channel to stiffen the stock....done around the 2010 time frame and still working. Chambered in .22 x 6mm Remington AI with a fast twist Brux barrel shooting 75 gr AMAX bullets. Stock is the cheap poly factory Remington stock from that era....shafts stiffened the forend a huge amount and the rifle is very accurate.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockcaver View Post
I've got a Remington long action 700 that has carbon arrows shaft(s) imbedded in the forend channel to stiffen the stock....done around the 2010 time frame and still working. Chambered in .22 x 6mm Remington AI with a fast twist Brux barrel shooting 75 gr AMAX bullets. Stock is the cheap poly factory Remington stock from that era....shafts stiffened the forend a huge amount and the rifle is very accurate.
I have done this to 20or 30 rifles over the years as well
Old 03-22-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I don't think it would be a good idea. The lamp nipple idea is much better
The lamp nipple while it is a good idea would add weight. In an ultra light rig if a lighter option is available I'd go that route. I usually just make my own aluminum pillars anyways..but they are still over twice the weight of a carbon shaft.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It would be easy enough to find out which is stronger by simply taking equal lengths and diamerers of pillars of various materials and slipping them over a bolt of equal size to your action screws. Putting a nut and washer, use an inch pound torque wrench to tighten the nut until the pillar deforms or shatters and note the torque setting when it does. Not very scientific but would be a good indicator of how each material behaves under compression.
After I responded to the thread last night I had the exact same thought. I believe there may be a reason pillars tend to be made from fairly stout materials and going cheap is never a good idea. Buy once cry once.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
The lamp nipple while it is a good idea would add weight. In an ultra light rig if a lighter option is available I'd go that route. I usually just make my own aluminum pillars anyways..but they are still over twice the weight of a carbon shaft.
Not to argue but stiffening the stock fore end is not the same as pillar bedding. As a stiffener in the stock IE: side to side motion I can see the argument but to "compress" an action to the stock, via the action screws, I am not convinced it would work very well. I think the carbon would tend to shatter verses "compress" and not give a stable bond.
As for weight, an extra gram or two would not be a game changer for me.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:09 AM

The companies that make carbon fiber stocks don’t use carbon fiber pillars. That should tell you something.

Invar is best. Second would be devcon I guess. Aluminum and steel vary too much with temperature, but they are used. I don’t think this is the spot to save weight, you could trim your shoelaces and save more.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:37 AM

Carbon fibre’s compression strength is a small fraction of its tensile strength. It’s not the best material for pillars.