Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2023, 05:10 PM

Default Your favorite ice line

Trout, perch and walleye. Do the newer floro lines have less memory?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-20-2023, 08:53 PM

I only use florocarbon as leader material and I find ther is no memory on 6’ of it
Old 03-20-2023, 10:08 PM

Some monos are more supple and have far less memory - Standard Berkley XL (xtra limp) is very good and does not coil too much - and one simple pull with a small stretch, or a few drops or casts and you are good to go.

I have a few perch ice fishing rods that are straight mono.

I have never spooled up any rod with fluoro line - I don't see the benefit of that extra little bit of clarity, particularly when my mono set ups are 4lb or 6lb line. They are already pretty invisible and our green prairie water helps ....

I also run the same braid and fluoro leader I would use in the summer for the heavier ice fishing set ups (Lakers and Pike).

For the record - I see no appreciable difference to "ice braid" or "ice line" except the price premium they get us suckers to pay.

I wouldn't over think it - if you use quality line like power pro braid you are good. Berkley mono is also still pretty darn good too.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:50 AM

Good posts on here already. I can tell you what not to use, Berkley Vanish. One of the worst lines I put on. After catching a sumo white you pretty much have a ball of coiled up crap to cut out. One of the worst lines on the market today.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:55 AM

Default P-line

Hello all, I have been using 6# flurocarbon line for ice fishing for years, really seems to hold up. I have proven over and over that the fish don't see it as well as mono.

my two cents
Goose
Old 03-21-2023, 10:13 AM

I'm the same as old dog. Braid on everything (ice and open water) with fluoro leaders.

I think the only difference between braid and ice braid is the waxy coating that is supposed to guard against ice build up. I could be wrong though.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:26 AM

Braid with a long fluoro leader for everything, unless I am hole hopping and it's really cold out. Then it's mono.
Old 03-21-2023, 01:27 PM

10lb Power Pro with Seaguar fluoro leader on all my set ups....always.

"You can do ANYTHING with 10lb Power Pro...I always say that..." - Aaron "Uncut Angling" Wiebe (the gospel)
Old 03-21-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Braid with a long fluoro leader for everything, unless I am hole hopping and it's really cold out. Then it's mono.
This.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-21-2023, 02:52 PM

Berkley Big Game, softens up pretty quick in water, excellent knot strength, the abrasion and shock resistance can be useful when coaxing a big fish into the bottom of the hole.

Not a fan of braid for ice fishing, ice build up sticks to it much worse than mono. With only 6-35 feet of line out I dont think it's low stretch properties are terribly important. Neither do I think the high strength is terribly important... thick cover is generally a non-concern, and by the time you are trying to get the fish into the hole, whatever you are using for a leader would be taking the brunt of the punishment anyways. If your reel freezes up and you have to handline something big in, you risk some major hand damage... short of fishing very deep, or trying to get strong line on a reel thats way to small, I've never quite understood its apeal.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-21-2023 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:52 PM

Can power pro be used with very light bait or does it float?

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-21-2023, 03:17 PM

I use 6 lb PowerPro with a 4-6 foot Fluoro leader and small tungsten jigs for perch without issue. The bigger issue with small baits is the twist that a spinning reel will put in your line, resulting in your small jig spinning and spinning which looks unnatural.

The ice build up on braid is an issue if you are fishing outside a lot. I like it for it's abrasion resistance around the bottom of the hole.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-21-2023, 03:48 PM

the biggest thing about Power Pro is the sensitivity... as long as my knots are good, I feel even the lightest bites with PP braid.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I use 6 lb PowerPro with a 4-6 foot Fluoro leader and small tungsten jigs for perch without issue. The bigger issue with small baits is the twist that a spinning reel will put in your line, resulting in your small jig spinning and spinning which looks unnatural.

The ice build up on braid is an issue if you are fishing outside a lot. I like it for it's abrasion resistance around the bottom of the hole.

SS
I use the same setup for trout. As mentioned in another thread, I almost always use a quality swivel to deal with the inevitable line twist that comes from pretty much every lure.

Braid does ice up more than the other lines. But ice on braid is also easy to knock off. Or better yet, slide it down the line and let it melt off in the water.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:44 PM

Sorry guys but my best line for ice fishing is not even close.
I go to the left side of my fridge with a glass push and clink clink clink. I went ice fishing and got some. Just had to.
I do not have the gear or set up anymore. Everything was done by hand and no tent or shack.