Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2023, 09:14 AM

Default No angus beef at superstore.Is this the same everywhere?

I like the angus beef occasionaly, though it is extremely expensive,if superstore is stopped selling where will i have to go to get some? Thanks for any replies.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I like the angus beef occasionaly, though it is extremely expensive,if superstore is stopped selling where will i have to go to get some? Thanks for any replies.

Stop buying at the big box store and buy from the little butcher shop around the corner. They'll probably have what you are looking for and more.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:15 AM

What is it that you like about angus more than another breed of cow?
Old 03-22-2023, 10:24 AM

You have to give them credit for their excellent marketing campaign.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:12 AM

Agreed - the breed is touted as having better marbling throughout the meat, but a well fed and raised cow with an inferior pedigree may be indiscernible. I've never been able to tell the difference.

I have, however, noted a slight difference between grass fed VS grain fed/finished beef as the grass fed has a different taste to me for sure.

Aging also presents a very obvious difference in taste as well.

And, dry aging versus wet aging furthermore but to a lesser extent.

Breed ...... not so much (at least with me) - I don't taste anything different.

I am genuinely curious if even a beef connoisseur could tell the difference between Angus vs a regular beef cow.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:15 PM

Ahhh, but you see, everyone knows the name and look at everyone on here talking about angus haha.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Agreed - the breed is touted as having better marbling throughout the meat, but a well fed and raised cow with an inferior pedigree may be indiscernible. I've never been able to tell the difference.

I have, however, noted a slight difference between grass fed VS grain fed/finished beef as the grass fed has a different taste to me for sure.

Aging also presents a very obvious difference in taste as well.

And, dry aging versus wet aging furthermore but to a lesser extent.

Breed ...... not so much (at least with me) - I don't taste anything different.

I am genuinely curious if even a beef connoisseur could tell the difference between Angus vs a regular beef cow.
In my opinion angus beef is much tastier than regular beef.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
Stop buying at the big box store and buy from the little butcher shop around the corner. They'll probably have what you are looking for and more.
There are no butchers around the corner here.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:34 PM

Good farm / ranch raised beef is very good, Simmental, Herford, Angus, I can't tell the difference, I love pastured beef finished on grain, just put another 1/2 in the deep freeze 6 weeks ago, hung and aged for 18 days then cut and vacuum packed, absolutely great meat and about 1/2 the price of that store bought stuff.
The beef that I can say I can tell apart is speckle park or other Australian beef, don't like it at all. Anyway good luck in your search.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:25 PM

Certified Angus Beef is nothing more than a marketing ploy. It's probably the best marketing campaign ever created. Even an Angus breeder will say the same thing. Its all in how they're finished as to what makes a great tasting cut. I was involved in the 4h carcass animal program for quite a few years. The top quality animals were of all breeds, not just Angus! Another thing to keep in mind is that to be classified as certified Angus, they are not only purebred angus. They only need to be crossbred. Therefore they are most likely just about any breed.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
Certified Angus Beef is nothing more than a marketing ploy. It's probably the best marketing campaign ever created. Even an Angus breeder will say the same thing. It’s all in how they're finished as to what makes a great tasting cut.
Exactly. I said the same in the other thread.

No one could tell the difference between most beef breeds if they were all the same age, fed the same and finished on the same feed and hung the same amount of time.

Marketing obviously works
Old 03-23-2023, 12:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Which is better, red or black angus? I think black is more tender
Old 03-23-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
There are no butchers around the corner here.
your location says camrose county , tofield packers is close , i can see his black angus cows from my window and his meat is awesome. Also the Hutterites store on 833 has great meat.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:03 AM

Google it.
Everyone and their grandma is direct marketing beef now.
You'll can pay the same (or less) for better beef than superstore, delivered right to your home.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
your location says camrose county , tofield packers is close , i can see his black angus cows from my window and his meat is awesome. Also the Hutterites store on 833 has great meat.
Thank you for the leads,appreciated