Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 07:34 PM

Default Williams lures for lakers

What’s your go to Williams lure for lake trout? Have plans to do several lake trout trips to Yellowstone this summer. Trying to determine if what I have will suffice or in reality give myself an excuse to go buy some more lures next week when I’m back in Canada. Alway stress over which patterns to buy even though I’m not convinced that it makes a huge difference on these predatorial fish.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:40 PM

Why does it have to be Williams?

They work but definitely not my go to choice for lake trout spoons
Old 03-23-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Why does it have to be Williams?

They work but definitely not my go to choice for lake trout spoons
No real reason other than I prefer Canadian made lures being like Williams and Len Thompson. Have a fair number of LT and was looking to increase my Williams stock. I’m weird like that.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
No real reason other than I prefer Canadian made lures being like Williams and Len Thompson. Have a fair number of LT and was looking to increase my Williams stock. I’m weird like that.
Fair enough

I have caught lakers on all models of Williams. Color wise when it comes to lakers do some research on the effects water depth has on color. Blue, silver, gold, purple, green, chartreuse, yellow, and white in patterns with contrast so they flicker.

My go to patterns pure white, blue/silver, chartreuse contrasted with a dark color or silver/gold or white, and frog style patterns. Different lakes and depths play a roll in my choices. Not my only choices but definitely go to’s

I would also recommend adding the Gibbs fst spoon and blue fox matrix

But really I have caught lakers on a ton of different lures and colors
Old 03-23-2023, 09:01 PM

Haven’t fished for lakers but have caught multiple species in multiple lakes and rivers with the dimple gold Williams
Old 03-23-2023, 09:04 PM

I am reminded of a Pro Tip I once saw on this very subject in an old Field and Stream article... " If the silver one doesnt work... try the gold one!"

My favorite Williams for any number of species: 60 size silver Wabler, replace the treble with a 3/0 siwash, thread on a white 3" Mr Twister. Its best that the jig tail curl the same way as the hook (towards the cocave side), or the lure will sometimes spin, use a little superglue to hold it in place. This color combo shows up well in almost any water conditions without being overly gaudy and unnatural, and is one of my main go-to lures.

Another great Canadian spoon I've discovered are the Deadly Dick spoons, but in much larger sizes than we typically see in AB. I like the regular model in 1 and 2 oz sizes, and the long model in #2 and #3. The long models in particular are impressively versatile, and work equally well jigged deep or cast and retrieved. Havnt used them for Lakers yet though.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-23-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:14 PM

A Williams is a FANTASTIC Laker lure and often out fishes anything else being trolled. It has a very unique wobble, very different compared to a Len Thompson.

And, depending on speed, depth, mood of fish, it can be a Len Thompson day, or a Williams day or even a Coyote day depending on the mood of the Lakers.

Silver, Silver Blue, 5 of Diamonds, Gold Silver 50/50 are my favorites.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:14 PM

Another good color, a little harder to find sometimes, is copper. I've got a couple copper Wablers, dont use them as much as silver/ gold, but when they're hot they are hot.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:35 AM

Williams whitefish is a great lure. I like the half gold half silver.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-24-2023, 09:29 AM

William whitefish is one of my go to lures for lakes. Also the mepps syclops in chartreuse with orange
Old 03-24-2023, 09:40 AM

Tried many lures over the years & my go to for them now are the split Rappala 6" to 8".

Some times I'll put them 6(ish) feet behind a Salmon flasher.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:07 AM

For down rigging My favourite is a ford fender with a large silver Canadian wiggler about 3' behind.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:46 AM

Really lakers are not hard to catch you just need something that looks like a fish lure wise. The real tricks are being at the right depth. The other when trolling you want a lure with an that doesn’t have a static action or be sure to add a turns or throttle bumps to break up the action

Lakers are notorious for following static baits but if you can add a quirk into the action can make a huge difference triggering strikes

A dodger with a flash fly or bucktail on a downrigger can be deadly. Same set up used on the coast for coho. We have also done well with 8inch grubs behind a dodger. It’s just erratic and different

If you’re in a pressured lake don’t use what everyone else is and show them something different. Yes guy’s catch fish on the common go to lures but if you show them something different well still imitating proper forage sometimes it can give you way better results

I used to have boats mob us anytime I fished a derby for lakers lol. The best part was watching them still struggle to catch fish using the common spoons and flatfish well we were running stuff not commonly used

I am bored with lakers after 4 years of targeting them as my primary species in northern BC.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:05 AM

williams whitefish is silver is the go to for trolling for lakers on one downrigger and Williams wobbler on the other downrigger. see what they want that day . then try different colours . we catch lots this way .
Old 03-24-2023, 11:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
What’s your go to Williams lure for lake trout? Have plans to do several lake trout trips to Yellowstone this summer. Trying to determine if what I have will suffice or in reality give myself an excuse to go buy some more lures next week when I’m back in Canada. Alway stress over which patterns to buy even though I’m not convinced that it makes a huge difference on these predatorial fish.

All I can say is they will catch fish providing
You do your part.
Your part is to have various sizes and colors available.
Not sure if casting from shore but if trolling run them behind a deep six or pink lady (different sizes for depths) and run a gang troll (willow leaf/Ford fender) on the diver, 4-6 feet behind have your lure.
Good luck sounds like a great place to wet a line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM

They have a new one I saw recently bright red/orange with dark edges so kokanee looking.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
They have a new one I saw recently bright red/orange with dark edges so kokanee looking.
Red and orange are two of the first colors to turn grey at a relatively shallow depth. You would be running a spoon that would appear to be different shades of grey for lakers

It doesn’t mean it won’t work and it will still have a flicker with the contrasting shades

I urge all Lake trout or deep water fishermen in general to research the effects water depth has on colors do to lack of light penetrating the water. Stained water or surface disturbances also affects light penetration.

This made a huge difference for my success rate fishing deep water
Old 03-24-2023, 06:48 PM

Should also add you cant use lead tackle or barbed hooks In Yellowstone lake. A benefit of using Canadian lures is that hopefully the fish haven’t seen them before… ha!
Old 03-24-2023, 08:04 PM

Hammered silver on one side and fluorescent orange on the other
Old 03-24-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Should also add you cant use lead tackle or barbed hooks In Yellowstone lake. A benefit of using Canadian lures is that hopefully the fish haven’t seen them before… ha!
If you like spoons the Gibbs FST has its own action and they are a Canadian company. The kitimat spoon is another good one if you want a heavier spoon

Honestly any spoon works and I have watched my buddy slay with a cheap Chinese knockoff frog pattern spoon before. I have a box full of so many different spoons I trolled for lakers and I bet all caught fish
Old 03-25-2023, 07:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Another great lure for lakers is the hot spot apex trolling lure, we run them behind a gang troll usually rainbow trout, brown trout or watermelon, pink white colours in 4.5 inch size at about 2mph trolling speed.

Check them out.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-25-2023, 07:58 AM

One lure no one has mentioned that we use all the time for char is a T-50 or T-60 in blue/silver or green/silver with a red nose if you can find them. I notice when hitting stores in Alberta they don't carry them, too bad because they are char catchers.

The lake we fish for them every spring it's about the only thing they will hit, and we have tried all kinds of plugs and lure combos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010fishin003.jpg (64.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-25-2023, 08:46 AM

The apex and t50/t60 flatfish are probably the two most popular lures where I lived in northern BC. They definitely work and had some big lakers pulled into my boat on them even if they are not my personal favorites

I know guys that those lures are all they use for lakers.

If you use an apex don’t use the leader they come with because if the lure is older stock it can be weakened. I watched my brother cry when a 30lbs plus lakers snapped the leader they come with right next to the boat during a derby lol

If you like the T50/T60 I recommend trying a believer or swim wiz.
Old 03-25-2023, 11:32 AM

Have not had a whole lot of time fishin' for lakers. But when had the chance my go to is always a 3 to 6 inch Williams Wobbler, be it a spoon or plug of a sort. (Ontario to Alberta), Silver, always. Have caught some on one of my gator lures. Red striped, orange, chartreuse and silver of course. Also some different Rapala lures of the 4-5 inch size. From what I understand certain colors do not work that great after a certain depth. If trolling of course on a downrigger. Be sure to check your area for rules, reg's, and any, if any bait, if bait is allowed or type of weight that can be used. Lake Minnewanka comes to mind.

Last edited by barbless; 03-25-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 01:39 PM

Another uncommon lure that has done well is the big flashabou bucktail spinners used for pike and musky. #9 and #10 blades singles or doubles.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:26 PM

When downrigging I've never been overly impressed running Williams spoons. Patterns designed for Deepwater Salmon like with glow involved have always outproduced any Williams pattern for me.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:46 AM

If you can find anymore, the dimpled pattern on the spoons worked for me. I have a variety of those silver plugs. Gang troll on downrigger and 6-10 ft behind with lure. Finding the right depth is key.
No!!! They do not have to be Williams, but they do have a really good swim pattern. Just like dare I say, who makes the best spoons. Now made here in Alberta (Lacombe) Len Thompson" 5 of diamonds. Originated in the Sasquatch, HA HA I mean Saskatchewan, "Abernethy", so they say.

Last edited by barbless; 03-26-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If you like spoons the Gibbs FST has its own action and they are a Canadian company. The kitimat spoon is another good one if you want a heavier spoon

Honestly any spoon works and I have watched my buddy slay with a cheap Chinese knockoff frog pattern spoon before. I have a box full of so many different spoons I trolled for lakers and I bet all caught fish
Gibbs products havnt been made in Canada for about 5 years. They may be a Canadian corperation, but they do not sell Canadian made products anymore.

Flip side is that Williams is made in Canada, but I believe they are internationally owned. The parent company, Brecks, does seem to be pretty good though. They also own Mepps and Mr Twister, the only move in manufacturing that they've made is that some Mepps products are now produced in the US, as well as France.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-26-2023 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:08 PM

I have had best trout luck the last couple of years using a different Len Thompson product - the Northern King spoon in rainbow colors. They all seem to like the dimple as it flashes light.