Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 08:49 PM

Default Cougar attack 4 year old boy

https://www.cheknews.ca/child-taken-...n-area-547762/

David
Old 03-29-2019, 10:26 PM

Conservation Officers shot two cougars in the area. Possibly a third, but not confirmed yet. May be yearlings just out on their own, but again not confirmed. Hope the young boy is okay.

Mr Conservation
Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 PM

Watching a news clip, the Conservation Officer did state that the two cougars that were shot were yearlings, and they were fairly thin. Probably two youngsters learning to hunt on their own.

Mr Conservation
Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 AM

Default cougar

Why do CO's always have to bring out the very thin card when predatory animals attack. Most animals are very thin in the spring after a tough winter.
Cougar are noted for attacking kids rather than adults. Hope boy recovers without major scares and fears.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:13 AM

On the other hand, BC activists are now pushing to end cougar hunting ?.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 AM

Hope the little guy heals fast both physically and mentally.

I fear animal attacks will become a lot more common as we continue to protect predators.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Why do CO's always have to bring out the very thin card when predatory animals attack. Most animals are very thin in the spring after a tough winter.
Cougar are noted for attacking kids rather than adults. Hope boy recovers without major scares and fears.
Ahhh because that is what they observed......mature animals with the skill sets to hunt and take down game, who are not injured do. Wry well over winters.....the young juvenile ones usually have a tougher go....then they take on us because we taste like McDonald's and are for the most part easy prey.

Hope the young guy heals up mentally and physically.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-30-2019, 08:57 AM

Just spent a week down on the island, doing a little hiking and the one thing everybody is talking about is the lack of deer, and way to many wolves. Maybe it is time to deal with it. I don't think there is intelligence in the government to realize that you have to manage all aspect of wildlife, not just part of it. Unregulated deer hunting but protecting the predators, there is bound to be human conflict when animals get hungry.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
Just spent a week down on the island, doing a little hiking and the one thing everybody is talking about is the lack of deer, and way to many wolves. Maybe it is time to deal with it. I don't think there is intelligence in the government to realize that you have to manage all aspect of wildlife, not just part of it. Unregulated deer hunting but protecting the predators, there is bound to be human conflict when animals get hungry.
As in Vancouver island? Cuz my old man live in the comox valley, got an acreage and the deer are thick as thieves....bold to walk right past you and eat the plants on the deck....I told him we need to thin the heard out and fire up the bbq

Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post

Tons of deer on the island. Can barely not hit one crusing around at night Nanaimo south. Decent elk too up near Comox. To see wolves there you'd have to be North I'm pretty sure.

Cougar probably take more deer in the civilized portions. Lots of them out there.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
On the other hand, BC activists are now pushing to end cougar hunting ?.

Grizz

You know, we really need to focus on how the cougars feel about toxic masculinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 03-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Hope the little guy is OK. Where were his parents while the toddler was getting chewed up by cats? No mention of parents at all, or how the attack happened....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-30-2019, 05:36 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Just heard the kid has been released from hospital and should make a full recovery
Old 03-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Hope the little guy is OK. Where were his parents while the toddler was getting chewed up by cats? No mention of parents at all, or how the attack happened....
I dunno, maybe dad was working and mom was in the house doing the laundry. Are kids not allowed to play in the yard anymore?
Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I dunno, maybe dad was working and mom was in the house doing the laundry. Are kids not allowed to play in the yard anymore?
Sure kids can play. Parental supervision of toddlers is good though, things happen fast, whether they run off in Costco, onto the street, or toddle down to the creek and fall in. Cougars isn't something you expect to chew on your kid, but dogs do it on a regular basis. But if you want to let your four year old go play by himself, fly at 'er. I was just asking a question, not calling child and family services.....

Edit: for the record, I know this because my two year old managed to open our gate many years ago and went for a walk down the street. I just happened to be coming home and saw this toddler wobbling down the road....and realized it was mine! We didn't know she could push the gate to the yard open. So, I'm asking from the view point of someone who has had a scare or two of his own. There were other moments raising five kids. It happens. Like I said, just a question.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 03-30-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Sure kids can play. Parental supervision of toddlers is good though, things happen fast, whether they run off in Costco, onto the street, or toddle down to the creek and fall in. Cougars isn't something you expect to chew on your kid, but dogs do it on a regular basis. But if you want to let your four year old go play by himself, fly at 'er. I was just asking a question, not calling child and family services.....

Edit: for the record, I know this because my two year old managed to open our gate many years ago and went for a walk down the street. I just happened to be coming home and saw this toddler wobbling down the road....and realized it was mine! We didn't know she could push the gate to the yard open. So, I'm asking from the view point of someone who has had a scare or two of his own. There were other moments raising five kids. It happens. Like I said, just a question.
Don't worry, I'm just an old dinosaur. Grew up when 4 year olds played all day in the backyard only coming to the house when called for meals. There is an inherent risk in growing up. I would not like to be a kid growing up today, no freedom, constant monitoring and helicopter parents, bike helmets and car seats. Anyway I just see kids not getting much life experience and parents harried and stressed monitoring kids 24 hours a day, strapping them in the vehicle to this event or that. Its no wonder our kids are growing up clueless as far as common sense and parents are burnt out by the time they are 40. Its no wonder people aren't having kids today and the kids are deprived of their independence.

We might be saving a few apples with our over bearing safety policing of children but we seem to be spoiling the whole bunch because of it.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Don't worry, I'm just an old dinosaur. Grew up when 4 year olds played all day in the backyard only coming to the house when called for meals. There is an inherent risk in growing up. I would not like to be a kid growing up today, no freedom, constant monitoring and helicopter parents, bike helmets and car seats. Anyway I just see kids not getting much life experience and parents harried and stressed monitoring kids 24 hours a day, strapping them in the vehicle to this event or that. Its no wonder our kids are growing up clueless as far as common sense and parents are burnt out by the time they are 40. Its no wonder people aren't having kids today and the kids are deprived of their independence.

We might be saving a few apples with our over bearing safety policing of children but we seem to be spoiling the whole bunch because of it.

Agree but can't see how today's parents are over stressed, drop kids off a day care, pick kids up.....hmmmm....hard parenting.....oh well to each their own but ref this attack it could be milli seconds, your on the deck, young'un playing you look down to move something look up and the cat is on your kid....was probably watching all along while things were going on....

Old 03-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Banned

Arrow

“Vancouver Island has more cougar attacks than anywhere else,” Eyer said. “I think for somebody living in a town like that, you need to be cautious because these generally younger cougars looking for territory do come into these areas. Everywhere else they go they adults claim that territory.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/5114696/l...attack-update/

Somebody should send that link to the Wildlife Defense League and any of the Idjuts who support their nonsense!!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM
Banned

Arrow

https://www.mycomoxvalleynow.com/527...-river-school/

More direct indications they are surpassing carrying capacity in some areas...
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Banned

Arrow

Another: https://www.westerlynews.ca/news/pac...-kennedy-lake/
Old 04-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Hope the little guy heals fast both physically and mentally.

I fear animal attacks will become a lot more common as we continue to protect predators.
Agree.