Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Well, I have to agree myself. I only hunted archery in 212 for the entire season (until the last day). Between my partner and myself we had 12 deer tags and only filled 2.

We had opportunities of course, but this was a season of bad luck. I had a clean miss on a cool non-typ WT, followed by a clean shot on a nice 5x5 that was P&Y buck that hit a dead stem and stopped dead with the broadhead tip 5' from the vitals........and to top it off, I crawled 300yards through open pasture over 2 hours with my bow to within 21 yards of a 180+ mulie. Raised up for the shot and my damn peep was full of snow...........

Otherwise activity was in a word, 'odd'.

I had a nice meat buck mulie within 13 yards at last light on Sunday, and just could not pull the trigger for some reason. Sometimes, 'moments' are more special than meat.

Congrats to all who did well though, and with an easy winter, there should be some real gaggers running around. Can't wait!

Tree
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
yea i hunted 83 days in the field this year , hunting 9 different species of game in that time and this year was deffinlty a challenge for sure,
anyday hunting to me is awsome but when we dont shoot deer around home here and you got 6-7 of the clan kicking around that didnt shoot deer, then the neighbors and best friends didnt get any shes a odd year..... thank goodness for a good antelope this year cause im eating bighorn tag, non trophy tag, mule buck tag, whitetail tag, bear tag,and elk tag......lol. jeeees.
Worst season ever I wish I could spend 83 hours in the field in a year!!!
Got out for one weekend, passed on a nice little 4 point WT. Oh well maybe next year..............
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 PM

The weather was mild done in zone 400 where I hunt. Seen a few elk, moose, grizzly, whitetails, and mulies. Never fired a shot this year. There was very heavy hunting pressure close to the roads and quad trails. The lack of deep snow and lots of feed in the timber far back kept a lot of animals safe this year. I was just glad to get out. It wasn't the worst year I ever had.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:06 PM

Well boys, I got to agree with what everyone has been saying about this whole year being unpredictable. Calling, Ruts, everything was not ontime or should I say not like previous.

This year I got my first ever elk 5x5, first ever black bear (cinnamon), first ever mule deer (alberta), my bull moose (archery) and finished off with a 140 WT. So it was a very good year.......BUT

This year I also put way more, probably double the amount of time in the bush hunting compared to previous years. I would say I got about 45 - 50 days hunting in this year

A special thanks to Depopulator for an excellent elk/mulie hunt, great planning we will do it again no doubt.

Let the sausage making begin

Bring on the snow and the coyotes.

Cheers

Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Personaly had my best year in a while..Shot a 180 inch mulie here in alberta and a 140 class 4x4 whitetail on the last day of my saskatchewan hunt. Saw some much bigger bucks...one in paticular but could not put it together.Anyhow got some got some taxidermy to get done and a freezer full of meat so i'm real happy.I will agree with you on the fact that the it sure was tough going this year and the weather just plained sucked but here's hoppin it all comes together next fall!
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Best year ever!!

Well pat i would have to say i had my best year ever!!!

To start i bought the new dxt in jan.I shot my first bear with a bow this spring.I shot my first bull elk with a bow this fall,I shot my second bull moose with a bow this fall,I shot my first coyote with a bow this fall,and my 5th wt doe with a bow this fall.All in all not bad,I only hunted 3 days in nov and passed on a 140-145 wt the last day at 30 yards and a 150 mulie the first day so i could of easily filled all my tags but i got alot of meat so i let the average fellas live.

But listening to what you said all my buddys ate there wt tags this year,There wasnt one deer killed over 150 in our area that i am aware of.
There are at least 4 they will go over 170 and they all lived.Its like you said theres no snow and it wasnt cold enough to realy get them moving.It was very,very slow.

I set my 2 bails of second cut hay out and my cameras and hope to get some great pics as well as sheds.Good luck next year fellas!!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:14 PM

I had a average season and for the first 3 weeks the deer weren't moving and just managed to fill our supplemental tags. The 4th week the deer started to move but the biggest bucks that we saw in 516 were 130's. In 509 we saw a couple of 140's and have pic's of 140's that will be great next year. Talking to one of the outfitters in the area his client's didn't get the deer that they usually get and was attributing it to the last two winter's which were really hard on the deer.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:37 PM

I had the best year ever!! I shot a 160 Ram, 80 Antelope, 163 Mule Deer, and 154 Whitetail. I only spent about 20 days in the field. What really sucks is that I can't sheep hunt next year!! Maybe my sheep partner and I will look for some new sheep country next year to keep in shape.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:01 PM

my season was terrible too. i ended up getting a 115. and the biggest i saw was 140's.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Ive read all the replies and not once did anyone mention increased doe harvest the last several years. With 2 tough winters(2006/07) back to back and increased doe harvest, Deer numbers are low in many areas.

F&W want to reduce Ungulate numbers across the Northern province to control Wolf populations, someone please explain how increased harvesting Ungulates rather then culling wolves is a solution? I have seen more wolves this fall then deer, killed 5 wolves and with any luck, many more this winter.

I agree, was not a normal year, Elk, Moose and Deer Ruts left something to be desired, Warm weather saved a few more "Book" deer for next year
Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Winterkill

The areas that we hunt in WMU 510 have had two hard winters and heavy winterkill on deer and moose. This season was slim pickens.