Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2023, 08:23 PM

Default Bucks rutting sundre area

I have worked six weeks straight, my first weekend out since early October. I have my own spots for deer. Just want to know how the rutting action is or if any. I have this weekend and hopefully next. Can I rattle them in or should I be silent and spot and stalk.

Last edited by Number7; 11-17-2023 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number7 View Post
I have worked six weeks straight, my first weekend out since early October. I have my own spots for deer. Just want to know how the rutting action is or if any. I have this weekend and hopefully next. Can I rattle them in or should I be silent and spot and stalk.
You can rattle them
Old 11-17-2023, 10:57 PM

Almost bagged a nice Mulie buck in town last week with my truck, his mind was elsewhere. I'd try a grunt call.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-18-2023, 07:28 PM

I'm from Northern MN and it really to late for rattling.
May work but peak time has past.
Old 11-18-2023, 07:32 PM

Default rut

Mulies just in rut in 214. Wt tails not yet.
Old 11-18-2023, 08:28 PM

Default Rut

Whitetails rutting in 222. Started in earnest 3 days ago. Have been out for the last 10 days straight.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:58 AM

I rattled one in around that area yesterday. Sat, rattled, shot. Over in 10 minutes. Kind of a boring hunt but fun to watch them come in.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:05 AM

West central Ab.
The majority of the does have been bred over the last 3-4 days, movement activity is increasing, and bucks are beginning the searching mode, looking for “late bloomers”

There are no absolutes
Old 11-19-2023, 10:33 AM

Put 15 km on the boots yesterday in Sundre and did not see 1 white tail.
Lots of sign in where we were but 14 degrees as a high yesterday they wont be running around.Still a great day in the bush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear.jpg (33.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 20231118_152053.jpg (55.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20231118_144603.jpg (45.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 11-19-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Lots of sign in where we were but 14 degrees as a high yesterday they wont be running around.Still a great day in the bush.
You must be looking in the wrong places, I can't help but see some every time I go out, could have put a couple of nice bucks in the freezer as well. Massive check stop at Mac Dougall flats last night. Our Chinese food was cold by the time we got to eat it.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM

St Paul area has picked up in the last week ish as far as scrapes seen and bucks on cam. Only seen a few a day cruising through the field the blind is on. Not like previous years but lots of factors year to year. The nice big 4x4 is still around so hopeful. Rattling did nothing but they have to hear it too. Always windy where we hunt.

Good luck finding what your after OP.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:55 PM

Default chase phase

Whitetail Bucks north east if edm are deff in the chase phase of the rut,we seen 9 bucks yesterday morning with 2 of them being 160 plus.Too bad they were all on fields we never had permisdiin in.But that will chsnge haha
Old 11-19-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
Cover less ground and spend more time where you find good sign
Old 11-19-2023, 07:09 PM

Not near your area but at noon today on our property E of Valleyview, I was quadding around, came out of a scrub area into a opening and a nice white tail buck was looking at me and he only ran about 30 or 40 yards, then stopped.

I stopped and shut off the quad and started making BAAAP sounds and the silly bugger turned around and started walking back at me like this guy sitting on his quad making deer sounds is a doe in heat, ha.

He was a very wide 4 x 4 with good height as well, came back to aprx 35 yds from me in the wide open.
I thought about taking him but one of his brow tines was missing, so I chose to pass on him.

I recorded about a minute of him and I will post it if I can figure out how.

TBark
Old 11-20-2023, 10:30 AM

Default Try this.....

if you find an area with some sign, try this!!

Once I get to my spot, sit, glass around to see if anything is watching me....

I get settled, then three short grunts, then I use the 'ol rattle bag, light at first, wait 7 or 8 min, then again...wait another 7 or 8 min....then the third time go full out, smash the hell out of it, blow out a few grunts at the same time.
I stomp my feet as hard as I can and I also have a stick next to me that I use to thrash the bushes and thump the ground........then finish with three short grunts, all lasts about 5 min or so ....it really is quite an ordeal....some of my buddies have made fun of me, kinda looks like a one man band.. haha, but.....20 min later, they have all shot bucks!

give it a try!!
Old 11-22-2023, 03:16 PM

Holy crap, we were hunting, very windy, found a nice area, spooked a bunch of does. My buddy bumped a big 3x4 buck, but he was tagged out. I was about 100 m below him. Met back up on this little finger ridge bump.
I've tried rattling before to no avail. Basically, did exactly what you have written here. Grunt, rattle and a couple bleats, stomping my feet. My buddy looked at me like I was crazy. "you're a one man band"
then his expression changed as a buck literally came running in to get down wind of us..wow did that just work, I stand up, he lets out a little rattle, sure enough it was 30 yards below us and went back the direction it came from. Boom 54 yard shot. Good body, little 3x3. Had to take it after than experience!
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfly View Post
if you find an area with some sign, try this!!

Once I get to my spot, sit, glass around to see if anything is watching me....

I get settled, then three short grunts, then I use the 'ol rattle bag, light at first, wait 7 or 8 min, then again...wait another 7 or 8 min....then the third time go full out, smash the hell out of it, blow out a few grunts at the same time.
I stomp my feet as hard as I can and I also have a stick next to me that I use to thrash the bushes and thump the ground........then finish with three short grunts, all lasts about 5 min or so ....it really is quite an ordeal....some of my buddies have made fun of me, kinda looks like a one man band.. haha, but.....20 min later, they have all shot bucks!

give it a try!!