Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2023, 03:06 PM

Default Plug it or new tire

[IMG][/IMG]Friday just as I was leaving Edmonton to Calgary I noticed a nail in my tire. Was too late and gotta go. Had a patch kit with me. Well was good all weekend but now got to deal with it. Pretty damn sure no tire company will plug this tire. I did spray soap and water and thought I could see a couple bubbles but maybe not deep enough and luck out but going to find out shortly. Would you attempt to pkug it??
Tires got maybe 10k on it ughh
Old 07-10-2023, 03:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Definitely would not plug it...

We used to do sidewall repairs all the time for eons but because of liabilities and people who can't abide by their own decisions, nobody wants to touch them anymore. That said, I would never have plugged that even back in the day. It would have been a proper radial patch or nothing at all.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-10-2023, 03:51 PM

Right or wrong, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to throw a plug in that... over the years, I have seen way worse on a sidewall plugged with several plugs and the tire is still on he road
Old 07-10-2023, 04:00 PM

radial patch

if not then buy 2 new ties depending on the vehicle they are going on is not all wheel drive?

then keep,the plugged or patched tire as a really good spare
Old 07-10-2023, 04:08 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam we have plugged many tires over the years that ran their life cycle with no issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-10-2023, 04:31 PM
AO Sponsor

It isn't a plug that is the issue... It is the positioning of that hole, and in that area a tire is actually very thin and the damage to the cords ramming a plug through could very much cause a tire failure at an inopportune (and unsafe) moment.

Just because people have seen it done without issue does not mean it hasn't blown out on others. No matter what anyone here says, with respect, I can pretty much guarantee you I have seen things multiple factors more often than just about any of them and I have seen them blow out so take that as you will.

If the hole was on the top of the tire in the tread? Sure... Plug away (I would still patch from the inside combined with the plug) and move on. 10km off the road and needing to limp out, you could make an argument to do it even in a sidewall as a temporary emergency escape plan, but on the highway doing high speeds under load, it is not the right thing to do for anyone.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-10-2023, 05:00 PM

I would only plug a hole in the shoulder or sidewall in an emergency situation, and I certainly would not trust it at prolonged highway speeds.
Do you have road hazard warranty on those tires? If there is minimal wear at 10K, see if you can get a pro-rated replacement. For the size difference on a truck, it wouldn't be any different than starting with a set of 5 tires and using the spare during the normal tire rotation when doing the 5 Tire Rearward Cross.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-10-2023, 05:31 PM

also a question of liability arises

sure other’s may chime in BUT

if it blows on the hiway I would ask for extra damages and want 100% of what I am owed as you were
extremely grossly negligent for a few bucks for a new tire

am probably wrong but the s the risk you run when not getting a new tire

not sure how your insurance company would wish to cover you also
is there a part of the contract or a unwritten agreement you will not NOT REPAR the vehicle so as to render it really dangerous

just thinking with the outside voice, not a current sitting judge who has decided 1000 court case this week
Old 07-10-2023, 05:36 PM

I’d say that if Tire Bob offers his opinion it’s probably the best advice available.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:32 PM

Paid the piper for a new tire. Had to take the tire off the truck myself as they said had to be within 3mm of existing. I was 4mm roll eyes. Appreciate the great advice. Kept tire and may out radial patch if I need something in a pinch
Old 07-11-2023, 06:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
It isn't a plug that is the issue... It is the positioning of that hole, and in that area a tire is actually very thin and the damage to the cords ramming a plug through could very much cause a tire failure at an inopportune (and unsafe) moment.

Just because people have seen it done without issue does not mean it hasn't blown out on others. No matter what anyone here says, with respect, I can pretty much guarantee you I have seen things multiple factors more often than just about any of them and I have seen them blow out so take that as you will.

If the hole was on the top of the tire in the tread? Sure... Plug away (I would still patch from the inside combined with the plug) and move on. 10km off the road and needing to limp out, you could make an argument to do it even in a sidewall as a temporary emergency escape plan, but on the highway doing high speeds under load, it is not the right thing to do for anyone.
Phone didn’t show picture but now looking at it well like the OP said, new tire and this one is now a spare but even so I would toss it cuz when poop hits the fan it will

-30 flat tire, change it out to this repaired one and yup shortly later it blows out too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-11-2023, 06:45 AM

Glad you opted for new. Right decision