Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 AM

Default Hunt for the mad trapper

Hi all, i read a story a while back about the hunt for the mad trapper, it is a true story and it was good read. Pretty fascinating story. I see that either discovery or history channel will air a show on it Thursday evening and will definetly be worth a watch.

I have to work the night shift and will have to miss it, but thought some of you may want to check it out...let me know how it was!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 AM

Is this the one the mad trapper of Rat river? If it is Charles Bronson also starred in a version of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Hunt
Old 05-21-2009, 05:43 AM

It is on again Friday at 1 pm on Discovery for the people working the night shift.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
Is this the one the mad trapper of Rat river? If it is Charles Bronson also starred in a version of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Hunt
Not a spectacular movie, it was made around Canmore. Any resemblance to the actual story is purely co-incidental. There was an eerily similar happening in northern BC, in the 1980's. Think the book about it was called Descent into Madness.
Grizz
Old 05-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the heads up Shmag. I read that story a few years back and might try to catch the show.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 AM

Yeah, great story. i read an account of this incident as well. It was amazing how the Mad Trapper of Rat River (Albert Johnson) could elude capture for so long with a minimum of supplies and survive in temps near -40. I'll be watching for the movie as well.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 AM
sheephunter

Ya, I've seen the Charles Bronson version a few times and they certainly didn't let the facts ruin a good story. It was sad how they romanticized Albert Johnson and made the RCMP look like a bunch of bafoons. I've read several different books on the subject but my favourite is the one by Dick North. They did make men a lot tougher back in those days!

I just finished reading Adventures in the Arctic by Peter Freuchen. You want to talk about some hardy people.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not a spectacular movie, it was made around Canmore. Any resemblance to the actual story is purely co-incidental. There was an eerily similar happening in northern BC, in the 1980's. Think the book about it was called Descent into Madness.
Grizz
Is that by Vernon Frolick?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 08-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Banned

I worked with the old gentleman who dug the mad trappers gave in aklavik.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:18 PM

bit more trivia........

In 1974 a friend of mine who taught school in Aklavik listened to an old gentleman in his mid 90's name Lazarus Sittichinli tell the story of Albert Johnsons capture. While telling the story Lazarus was making an ulu, from scrap steel and musk ox horn for a handle. Lazarus was a special constable who assisted the RCMP I have the ulu the gentleman made.. also a transcript of the story of the capture of Albert Johnson --------- kinda neat.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 AM

When the movie was being made, Lee Marvin was interviewed by one of the news channels in Calgary. The interviewer asked Marvin what he thought about one of the RCMP descendants being peeved, that a 56 year old drunken sot was playing their ancestor in the movie (referring to Marvin). Marvin took offence and stated that he was not a 56 year old drunken sot, he was a 57 year old drunken sot.

Every time that movie comes up, I always remember that interview.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Great History

I've been to the grave and flew around the area lots. I'd love to try and find the cabin but with all the changes to the river system and water levels it's likely lost to history. What a great story. First use of an aircraft in a man hunt piloted by Wop May none the less. Never would have caught him if it weren't for the bush pilot and the airplane. There's always two versions of this story depending on how you see him. Hardened criminal evading justice, or quiet loner trying to live outside government and society. Regardless of what you think the dude was hardcore. The RCMP bit off more than they could chew. I have no idea how he walked across those mountains with some dried meat and a few squirrels. Must have been tougher than nails. Certainly a fantastic Canadian story.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:18 PM

Default Wilf Carter or AlbertJohnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxzasDRgC8
Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 AM

I spent a lot of time in Inuvik as well as flying to as many smaller and hard to get to communities in our far north during middle of the 70's for a few years then left but went right back up to Inuvik in the middle 80's... I've listened with Elders about this exact topic in full detail... Very very cool to talk with people who were so close to this.. Anyway, that Johnson fella was a very tough man, it's terrible conditions where they were, now the Mounties were pretty tough as well.. But back then... Most people were tough, it was hard living back then and easy dying!!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Grizz
Descent into madness is probably one of the best books I have read. A must read. The officer he killed was actually from Brooks. As said above, if it wasn't for that misfire.......
Oros was one tough character.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Descent into madness is probably one of the best books I have read. A must read. The officer he killed was actually from Brooks. As said above, if it wasn't for that misfire.......
I seen the officers grave in Brooks
Old 08-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I seen the officers grave in Brooks
Very sad
Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM

I have read Descent into madness and was amazed at what happened. Even more so is the fact that I have hunted that country and know what it is like. I would recommend that book to anyone as it opens your eyes as to how crazy people can get if left alone. It makes me think how to approach people that live in the bush as there are still people out there that live of the land and want to be lleft alone.

Just my thoughts Tinman
Old 08-24-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

Not that I'm a fan of CBC but I heard this several years ago and watched a documentary that interviewed one of the last surviving RCMP officers who took part in the manhunt. I think the guy was 102 at the time of the interview? Quite a piece of Canadian history.

https://youtu.be/c96YQ9yWbX0
Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 PM

My great grandma alway toid a story of Albert Johnson lived beside her family in days land Alberta. I know many people say they heard of a loner a quiet man on his own at many different locations and they say it was Albert Johnson it is so long ago and near impossibble to prove. The stories I heard about him are quite interesting and the time line fits, also one book I read about him a Rcmp officer said Albert hinted at trying his hand at farming.
The story of Albert Johnson is quite amazing what he went through and what others did to catch him. Canadian stories like this should be taught to our kids so they can learn a little more about what type of people built our country.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:12 PM

Did a caribou hunt in Nejalini lake manitoba on NWT border back in 80's with several Chipewan natives from Tadoule lake. Was an old rotting canoe and camp on shore of remote secluded bay they all said it was mad trappers campsite who knows sounded good anyway

Gord