Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Default Hunters ed online vs. at a class

I know the online course runs the same way the class goes minus the actual teacher. From what I can tell they are the same cost. Now I feel that the teacher would be better due to being able to ask questions, but I am pretty sure I can answer them for the wife just as good. What do you think?? online or try and set up a class
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM

I did online for my wife as I felt she already had a decent handle on things and that I could teach her better in the field then some stranger in a classroom. Just my opinion tho.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM

I just completed the course online and thought it was awesome. I think that it is especially good because I was able to do it in my spare time at my own pace instead of taking time to go into a classroom.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacenbeers View Post
I just completed the course online and thought it was awesome. I think that it is especially good because I was able to do it in my spare time at my own pace instead of taking time to go into a classroom.
How long abouts did it take you to finish the course?? give or take
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM

I did it 2 weeks ago with my wife, it took about 8 hrs. She had many questions, but she acompanied me hunting for the past 4 years and new alot already. I think it's well done and would be good even for a newbie.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 AM

Give Cheryl at Lane Archery a call, she is a great instructor that knows her stuff.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
I did online for my wife as I felt she already had a decent handle on things and that I could teach her better in the field then some stranger in a classroom. Just my opinion tho.
just wondering how does one go about writing the test with the online course, does he or she do it at home or do they have to go somewhere to take the test? thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 PM

I had the old hunters training book so I read that, had a few mentors to ask questions to and then I did the online test. 3 years ago when I did it there wasnt a time frame you had to have the modules open for so I opened them all then did the test.. Did it in about 30 minutes. I personally would only go into the class room if you werent so sure about your knowledge in the hunting field. If you have, which im sure you do have a good understanding in the hunting field, or your wife youll do just fine on the online test. The questions are pretty straight forward and theres 100 to do in about 1 hr and 30 minutes I believe.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
just wondering how does one go about writing the test with the online course, does he or she do it at home or do they have to go somewhere to take the test? thanks
Nope you do it home, no supervisor needed.
Check it out at .. http://www.aheia.com/
Old 06-24-2012, 12:24 PM

The course is technically 25 hours, so instructors need to teach 25 hours and AHEIA is sticky about it and will can you over it.

In a nutshell, yes instuctors make money----but not enough. I think it is hard to find an old fashioned course now.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM

Kinda like the Boating course. Unless somebody is around to evaluate you, it's all theory and as someone once told me, theory sucks when it comes to nuts and bolts.

Grizz
Old 06-24-2012, 01:41 PM

well since im pretty good with the outdoors and all that stuff, im sure she will be more then okay doing it online. Now the next question maybe dumb, when I took my course many many years ago, I was issued the red paper card, from looking at the ah website They show what the new cards look like, it appears they are plastic and much nicer looking. A guy who has the course already how do I get a new card (not that iv ever had to produce a card)
Old 06-25-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
well since im pretty good with the outdoors and all that stuff, im sure she will be more then okay doing it online. Now the next question maybe dumb, when I took my course many many years ago, I was issued the red paper card, from looking at the ah website They show what the new cards look like, it appears they are plastic and much nicer looking. A guy who has the course already how do I get a new card (not that iv ever had to produce a card)
I got a certificate, signed card from an instructor (looked like a buisness card), and a badge. Then went to canadian tire for my win card and you have to sign saying youve completed the course. They dont ask you for the card saying you have legitimately done it either.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 AM

Default course

I met two of my best hunting partners at those couses. There's more to gain by going to the course than just the certificate.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM

I remember when the Fish & Wildlife had the building just off of 149 street around 121 ave. Not there no more.

I sent my sons their & it was 3 nights long. I sat for the 1st night & watched a film or two. They asked a few questions....specifically the one about the duck sitting on the water.

Is it legal to shoot....yes. Is it ethical for you to do so? Some folks feel they couldn't shoot it & some said they could shoot it for the 1st duck.

I believe you had to get 82% back then.

You can get some education in a classroom setting, but some of that you learn during a gun course.

They real learning is in the bush.

I would go with the online course.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
The course is technically 25 hours, so instructors need to teach 25 hours and AHEIA is sticky about it and will can you over it.
I checked AHIEA. They have actually LENGTHENED the classroom course from what I took years ago. It's like a week long now. My son just finished the online version. I doubt it took him 8 hours.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I checked AHIEA. They have actually LENGTHENED the classroom course from what I took years ago. It's like a week long now. My son just finished the online version. I doubt it took him 8 hours.
I'd say that is why it is online now. How many people have 25 hours to teach a course and they have a cap on the fees?

I think even the most devoted instructors, would only do a couple of courses a year.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 AM

I have never understood the fee cap.

Same with the CFSC.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Same with the CFSC.
They don't want people to actually make a living teaching valuable and pertinent information.....

LC
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Same with the CFSC.
I am torn. I got into it because a course was $175 locally at the time. I had two teenage boys and knew how expensive hunting can be and that just seemed wrong.

The vast majority of my courses have 15 and up. I can't imagine giving up a weekend for 7 or 8 people though. And I know many do.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM

I have been through the online course with all three of my boys now, I was really impressed with Version 2 of the course, the multi media stuff was very good. I really liked the shot\no shot where you looking through a scope.

There are some bugged questions.

With a 12 year old there is 6 years of supervision before he can hunt alone so plenty of time for follow up instruction.

Version one was just a scan of the book, it was a long haul working with a kid with a reading problem.

It is worth having the book as well it's hard to high light the important bits in a "power point" for later review.