Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-24-2011, 12:59 AM

Hopefully they catch whom ever wasted the meat of this caribou. Must have been very little meat taken to have it classified as poaching by Fish and Wildlife when a caribou could have been harvested by a First Nations individual (not saying it was).

Did some quick searching and the Alberta Woodland Caribou Recovery Plan2004-05 to 2013/14 makes mention that in addition to all of the other issues that are contributing to caribou population reductions in the province, continued harvest of caribou by First Nations is also a threat to the caribou population. Not the cause, but also a contributing factor to the decline of the population. The numbers are that low in some areas.

Also found this interesting court document from September 8, 2010:
http://www.woodwardandcompany.com/me...n_-_colour.pdf

The 'Coles Notes' version and relevance to where this thread has headed is that legal action is filed by members of and on the behalf of several First Nations groups in Alberta against the Minister of Environment and the Attorney General of Canada for failure to discharge his statutory duties to protect and provide for the recovery of the boreal population of woodland caribou under the Species at Risk Act.

One of the items under the grounds for the application is that under Treaty 6 or Treaty 8 , the Applicant First Nations have the constitutionally protected right to hunt woodland caribou for sustenance.

There is a lot more to this document, but I think it makes it pretty clear that First Nations in the area have the right to harvest caribou. I think that is the answer that Sheephunter is sorry that he asked.

At the end of the day, still a shame that any wildlife was shot and had a significant amount of the meat wasted regardless of who was pulling the trigger. Even more of a shame when it is one of the species at risk and I think we can all agree to that.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:27 AM

It was an ignorant white guy who did it........its obvious!!
Prolly an italian or a portuguese or worse a quebec'r :O

There I said it
Merry Christmas to ALL my brothers out there..whatever race or colour
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

yes the FN can hunt anything they want and no they do not have to take everything like we do, go down around rocky mountain house and other areas and check out oilfield lease roads near some of the reserves or talk to some of the workers, they will tell you everything you want to know, one way or another and yes they can shoot as much as they want, when they want.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

You know that this post is about a year old...right?
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
It was an honest question...I don't know the answer. Perhaps the caribou wasn't poached at all?
Nah, they wouldn't do that, good stewards of the environment and all that.

Grizz
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 AM

a whole year
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 AM

How did this thread get a pulse.?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:17 PM

C'mon mods,,, this thing should have been shut down on the first page. There are lots of aboriginal people on here that support this and many other hunting and sporting sites that should not have to put up with generalizations like these.,,lock it down and put it with all the others that started the same way on the same issues