Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM

Default Is anyone else wish they could call like Randy Anderson?

Just watchin his videos I'm amazed how he can use hand calls so awesome. I have bought the same calls and can't even come close to him!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:22 AM

Red face Call like Randy Anderson?????

Quote:
Is anyone else wish they could call like Randy Anderson?
no i can't wish for that i dont even know who he or she is .
Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 AM

Hee Hee Hee
You gotta get away from where the trappers work!!! Anderson is working where there are no trappers nor predator control nor army of men in black with aircraft cable!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI-UTE View Post
Hee Hee Hee
You gotta get away from where the trappers work!!! Anderson is working where there are no trappers nor predator control nor army of men in black with aircraft cable!
So true .. Les Johnson of the show Predator Quest is the same ..If you have lots of area where there is little opposition , almost anyone can look like a pro . Not saying they aren't both good at the game , because they are . But a good area where you have no competition is the key . Besides they aren't show you the countless hours of stands where nothing comes in .
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Not to take anything away from Randy, or Les or Byron South, because they all work very hard at their craft, but I could show anyone how to cal and sound good doing it. Well almost anyone. I did meet a guy in Saskatchewan at the Wildlife Federation Show in Moose Jaw who was hopeless. I spent an hour with him and he sounded worse than when we started. The lesson normally never takes five minutes. I taught my Grnd daughter to call the coyotes from our deck when she was 3 years old.

I know the guys in the industry and have helped on a few videos. They put in a ton of hours in the field and then in the office editing to get 20 minutes of video for a show. Unless it's a bloopers show, you won't see the screw ups and believe me they have them.

Any of these guys can pickup any call and make it work. It will sound great and of course will call coyotes. They happen to promote their sponsor's calls.
The problem with commercial calls is that often they take a lung out trying to get sound out of them. And then when you do get sound it is hard to tell who is laughing harder the coyotes or your buddies.

If your buddies are laughing it means the calls will likely be tossed behind the truck seat and left there and that is a shame as it means the owner will miss out on a lot of exciting action. Instructional videos help but a few minutes of hands on instruction with a real live caller will make a ton of difference.

Having the right call makes a world of difference as well. I prefer custom made calls. They are easy to blow, user friendly, versatile and deadly. It doesn't take a lung out when you blow one.

Closed reed calls are easiest to blow, but are a trade off, because they aren't very versatile and they usually freeze up in the winter. These are the ones with the reed down inside.

I prefer open reed calls. very versatile and never freeze. You can do a wide range of sounds from coyote vocals to bird calls to distress calls, even elk and moose sounds with some experience and practice.

Hand calls don't have to cost a lot of money. A custom call can range from $25 up and it will last for years and years.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Randy is a good caller, but it's not the calls he uses. Production calls sound bad and take a lot of air to use. Custom calls make a world of difference and only a few of my calls cost more than your typical Primos call. Here are a few of mine:

Most are from a guy named Kerry Carver of Carver calls. Worth a google search. (I have np association with Kerry other than being a very satisfied customer.)
Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 PM

I would like to meet Randy Anderson and hunt with him I think it would be a blast.

I do reasonably well calling....a hunting partner and I called in and killed 57 dogs one year, a couple of foxes, oh and one badger

A big part of predator hunting is the setup and understanding how they react to you....the rest is the calling and a bit of luck.

LC
Old 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would like to meet Randy Anderson and hunt with him I think it would be a blast.

I do reasonably well calling....a hunting partner and I called in and killed 57 dogs one year, a couple of foxes, oh and one badger

A big part of predator hunting is the setup and understanding how they react to you....the rest is the calling and a bit of luck.

LC
Setup is huge! I had a set this winter with the perfect setup. Screwed up a howl bad and had a call freeze on me. Got a double!

Wind direction is big.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
X2 95% set up. Set up right and you could have a baby cry and have them come in, set up wrong and you could have a train rabbit and coyote sitting with you and you will get squat.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not to take anything away from Randy, or Les or Byron South, because they all work very hard at their craft, but I could show anyone how to cal and sound good doing it...
You aren't self absorbed at all Red froggy are you? LOL!!!

Really, tho these guys are considered experts by the many hobby callers around the continent, really compared to many of the hired guns, the predator control men that do it every day, in the western USA, these guys would rate as a bunch of dunces!!! The real experts have to come up with every single stock killer or their rears are on the line. They have to go when it's good and when it's not so good and they have to perform. It's not all stupid fall pups with them nor starving winter coyotes.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Gone Hunting

"You aren't self absorbed at all Red froggy are you? LOL!!!"

Not at all. I just happen to know what I'm talking about. I've taught lots of people the 'secrets' of the call. LOL!
It isn't rocket surgery.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the talents of others who make their living calling predators on TV. the ones I know personally, have paid their dues.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Banned

Yes it would be awesome to meet Randy. I use his calls and have all his videos. My 2 year old daughter is watching the videos with me now which is pretty cool. Coyote caller in training. Lol