Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM

Default Youth Shotgun

Hi All, I am looking for input on a shotgun for my son. He is 12 and passed his firearms safety course... lined up for the Hunter Ed course now too. I am looking to get him a youth model shotgun but favour break actions.

Anyone know anything about the Stoeger products or any other models that won't break the bank and still be reasonable quality?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Banned

Smile

Good job!
H & R Pardners?

I'm also hearing good things about Mossberg Bantam youth models (20 ga, .410).

IGAs are hit and miss, love or hate, etc - which tells me there is lack of stable quality.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr1 View Post
Hi All, I am looking for input on a shotgun for my son. He is 12 and passed his firearms safety course... lined up for the Hunter Ed course now too. I am looking to get him a youth model shotgun but favour break actions.

Anyone know anything about the Stoeger products or any other models that won't break the bank and still be reasonable quality?

Thanks in advance
I just had an opportunity to shoot the new Franchi 20 gauge over and under on Saturday and I was definitly impressed. It's very light weight and basically a scaled down version of the 12 gauge.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:04 PM

The mossberg Bantam has a great grow as you do feature. Here's the link...give it a peek.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM

My son started shooting a stoeger condor 12/20 combo when he was 11. I have the 20 gauge on for him to start and get comfortable and will transition him to the 12 when he is comfortable. The gun seems to have held up well. He has shot it a lot in the last 2 years. we shot at least once a week and hunted with it all of last year. It was relatively inexpensive to purchase.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:09 PM

the rem 20 gauge youth is a great starter gun. MY 12 year old loves it and shoots skeets well with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:46 PM

I have a double barrel .410 IGA and my 12 yr old shoots it well, his only complaint is its a little heavy(no sling). Kinda pricey brand new tho...
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 PM

i had a .410 when i was a little guy, i knocked down a lot of little stuff with that shotgun.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:11 AM

Break actions a nice because of the visible saftey factor when they are broken. Visible hammers ave often been touted as super safe because of visible confirmation to the adult that the gun is safe as well. However, you can get the same satisfaction out of a auto loader or pump if you leave the breech open. An auto loader also reduces felt recoil and helps create a better shooter. The browning silver micro would be my choice along with their new program to sell a adult size stock at cost so the young shooter can grow in to it.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Default Youth Shotgun

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM

someone told me the mossberg 20 guage pump is to light kick to hard for a younger 12 yaer old kids anyone herd or experanced this
Old 06-26-2012, 05:15 PM

I bought all 3 of my boys Remington youth 870's, in 20 gauge. They are an awesome shotgun for the money, the 20 gauge doesnt kick much, and is easy to cycle, for the money you wont find a better a shotgun for a youth.