Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Default Got my Goat draw

LEH (limited entry hunt) results are out for BC and I was lucky enough to get a mountain goat tag for 4-06 zone A right here in my home WMU in the Kootenays. Needless to say I am pretty excited, this will be my first time hunting goats so I've got a lot of learning to do. Ever since I put in for the leh I've been online researching how to identify a billy and watching a lot of youtube to get an idea how other guys hunt them. Looks tough but what an experience! This past weekend my hunting partner and I headed up into the Kianuko Prov.park for a little hike and to get an idea what it will be like packing into there this coming fall. The weather sucked, the creek crossings on partially submerged slimy logs were treacherous , trail completely obscured by a meter of snow, didn't get a glimpse of a mountain for 3.5 hours, and navigating by map and compass in a fog bank put us on the wrong ridge. Regardless it was a blast and once that sun came on through the scenery was out of this world and we figured out what we had done navigation wise(it really wasn't all that bad we were maybe 300m too far north and missed the trail up to the pass and ended up climbing too soon.) I'm planning numerous 2-3 night pack trips into this area for goat, mountain mule deer, and if we're stupid enough to shoot one a six point bull elk. The lakes up there also have cutthroat trout that don't know what a lure is so that'll be a bonus. If all I get out of it is a lot of hiking and a bunch of weekends camping in the backcountry that's nothing to be upset about.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Sounds like the same weather and conditions when we last hunted Goat in the Kootenays. I had no idea what beautiful rugged country was in the kootenays until we got in there. Good Luck and i learned the better shape you are in the better you will enjoy your hunt.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:23 PM

They can live in some pretty scary country and can get you into trouble if you don't keep a cool head. Everyone I've shot or been in on at one time or another in the hunt I was more than a little concerned to say the least. Good luck and be carefull.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 PM

If your lucky enough to squeeze the trigger, make sure you have a look where the fuzzy white buggers may roll. Would be a shame not to be able to recover it. Good luck and happy hunting.