Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-28-2024, 10:11 AM

Default Storage Locker for Drying Furs

Hey all, I have recently taken my trapping course and it looks like too much fun not to try. I would like to look at getting started next season as this one winds to an end but unfortunately have no shed or garage and worry about how I would set up for drying the furs. I haven’t been able to find much other than make sure they are dry and around 10-15 degrees when drying but like I mentioned I don’t currently have an option for that. Does anyone know if it would be possible to potentially dry and stretch them outside through the winter or has anyone rented a storage locker for this? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2024, 07:33 AM
AO Sponsor

You be better off befriending a local trapper and trying to work with him until you get your own area set up. Furs dont dry well in the cold. Wet fur never dries and wet skin dries very slow and mold and rot will be likely problems. One other otion would be an insulated trailer, cargo or even holiday trailer, and plug an electric heater in when you need heat, or even install a wood stove in and you have your trapper cabin. Just dont sleep in it, probly dont want to wake up dead!