Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-25-2012, 07:59 PM

Default Hunting in BC as an AB Resident

Hi,

I have lived in Alberta my entire life up until the past two years where I have been going to school in BC. I accepted a job and will be living full-time in BC for the time being, however, want to keep my hunting priority in Alberta because I plan on moving back and living in AB full-time one day. I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to hunt in BC if I get someone to host me?

2. If not, how can I hunt out there while keeping my AB priority?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Yup you can get a host. Its costly for license and tags, but worth it. If you live in any province longer that 6 months you are considered a resident and you loose your resident hunting status. Trust me, it happened to my ex. She was living in MB with me for a year, moved back to BC, shot a caribou and was almost charged with poaching as she was not a resident. She kept her drivers license and never got a MB drivers license, so they sold her a hunting license and tags back in BC. So if you are gone for longer than 6 months I say that you will loose your resident hunting status in AB, but you will gain it in BC. Hope this helps.

Doc
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 PM

Can only be a resident of one place or the other....not both.

LC
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Yup you can get a host. Its costly for license and tags, but worth it. If you live in any province longer that 6 months you are considered a resident and you loose your resident hunting status. Trust me, it happened to my ex. She was living in MB with me for a year, moved back to BC, shot a caribou and was almost charged with poaching as she was not a resident. She kept her drivers license and never got a MB drivers license, so they sold her a hunting license and tags back in BC. So if you are gone for longer than 6 months I say that you will loose your resident hunting status in AB, but you will gain it in BC. Hope this helps.
That is not true for all provinces. Each province has it's own requirements for resident status.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM

After 6 months in BC you are considered a resident and can hunt on your own, assuming you have changed your address, driver's license, insurer, vehicle reg, etc. You will need to get your Resident Hunter's # and to get this you need to show proof of some form of hunter training course(ie. Alberta Hunter's ed, or BC's CORE. If you aren't a resident you can be hosted under the Hunter Host program. Sorry I can't comment on the legality of living in BC and keeping your Alberta residency, for that I recommend talking to someone in the appropriate ministries of each province and really be sure.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:15 PM

No sense hunting in BC, its not like you can hunt mountain goat, stone sheep, mountain caribou, moose and grizzly bear every year....... nope no sense in it at all, and don't even think about salmon fishing, its terrible and highly overrated
Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300ultramag View Post
No sense hunting in BC, its not like you can hunt mountain goat, stone sheep, mountain caribou, moose and grizzly bear every year....... nope no sense in it at all, and don't even think about salmon fishing, its terrible and highly overrated
You forgot about the mulie, whitetail, blacktail, two kinds of elk, dall sheep, bighorn and california bighorn, lynx, wolverine......fishing, not even worth wetting a line.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
sheephunter

BC also has an interesting caveat in that you must actually reside in the province for at least 6 months during the calendar year to keep your resident hunting status. This is becoming an issue for some people that call BC home but work outside of the province.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlehman View Post
Hi,

I have lived in Alberta my entire life up until the past two years where I have been going to school in BC. I accepted a job and will be living full-time in BC for the time being, however, want to keep my hunting priority in Alberta because I plan on moving back and living in AB full-time one day. I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to hunt in BC if I get someone to host me?

2. If not, how can I hunt out there while keeping my AB priority?

Thanks for the help

I believe you will still have your AB priority while being a BC resident.

You would only be able to apply for AB resident draws after repatriating to the Wild Rose.

Ask at https://www.albertarelm.com/ to confirm.

Become a BC resident and enjoy the benefits. When you move back, carry on with your AB priority.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I believe you will still have your AB priority while being a BC resident.

You would only be able to apply for AB resident draws after repatriating to the Wild Rose.

Ask at https://www.albertarelm.com/ to confirm.

Become a BC resident and enjoy the benefits. When you move back, carry on with your AB priority.
Not only will you not lose your priority, if you apply with an Alberta resident, you can keep increasing your priority.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
You forgot about the mulie, whitetail, blacktail, two kinds of elk, dall sheep, bighorn and california bighorn, lynx, wolverine......fishing, not even worth wetting a line.
Blacktail may be a tad over rated, i hunted them on the island for many years and i would consider them mini deer compared to mainland or alberta deer.