Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 PM

Default Utikuma

Anyone been there lately? Thinking of heading up to find some of those fat perch. Just wondering about access. Taking snowmobile so I'm just worried about flood water
Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 AM

Been to Utik a couple of times and I didnt know it was a lake with large perch. Great lake for walleye but I think you would have more luck for perch at Slave. We did good on the NW end
Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 AM

There is 20 + FOW around the island on the NW corner. That is where we have caught perch and nice ones. Long skidoo ride from Km 88.

However, this has become a walleye lake and the perch are way down. At one time some big perch caught, and lots. Not any more.

Problem is that SRD dropped the Walleye limit on a lake with a long history of winter kills. apparently, its better to let them suffocate than to let rec fishermen take the fish.

It sure is easy not to love SRD.

This logic applies to other lakes such as Isle, where it builds up for 8 years on no retention, only to get wiped out, justifying no retention again for walleye.

The reality of winter kill just never sinks into SRD's head. However, I have been saying this for years, and the answer is always the same, without any good explanation. Fishing pressure on a winterkill lake removes fishing pressure on other lakes that DO NOT winterkill.

I know, I know, we should not be eating fish that we catch anyway, and SRD will see to that, unless you buy the tag!!!

Drewski
Old 02-20-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
There is 20 + FOW around the island on the NW corner. That is where we have caught perch and nice ones. Long skidoo ride from Km 88.

However, this has become a walleye lake and the perch are way down. At one time some big perch caught, and lots. Not any more.

Problem is that SRD dropped the Walleye limit on a lake with a long history of winter kills. apparently, its better to let them suffocate than to let rec fishermen take the fish.

It sure is easy not to love SRD.

This logic applies to other lakes such as Isle, where it builds up for 8 years on no retention, only to get wiped out, justifying no retention again for walleye.

The reality of winter kill just never sinks into SRD's head. However, I have been saying this for years, and the answer is always the same, without any good explanation. Fishing pressure on a winterkill lake removes fishing pressure on other lakes that DO NOT winterkill.

I know, I know, we should not be eating fish that we catch anyway, and SRD will see to that, unless you buy the tag!!!

Drewski
Nicely said!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Banned

Next thing you know they will be putting a tag system on perch oops better shut up or the idiots might get some ideas
Old 02-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
Next thing you know they will be putting a tag system on perch oops better shut up or the idiots might get some ideas
I think they allready have that planned, pike too. All lakes, all species, tags only. For our own good you know.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Banned

Oh but of course it's for our own good. kim hahaha nothing to do that there so desperate they don't know what the f*****k is going on lmao
Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 PM

Any new updates on this lake was going up for a trip on the weekend, but heard rumors that the lake winter killed and didn't want to waste time if it's dead, thanks for any info
Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 PM

Just pulling onto the lake. ....
Old 02-22-2015, 01:32 PM

It would be great if you could give a update when you get some time, thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM

Thumbs up

Very sad to here that the lake has taken such a bad turn. I fished the lake in the in the late 80's and it was unbelievable. Hope that things will take a turn for the better, but it seems the chances of that are sometimes slim to none.