Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Default Grizzly 660 help continued

One last shot for advice before I put some 12g holes in my quad. I just put a brand new carb in it. Quad still wouldn’t start. I primed the air box with gas and it starts. She runs good, until I shut it off then won’t start again. The carb is a Niche and is supposed to be all setup ready to install.

The fact that it starts and runs when primed says to me a fuel problem but with a new carb and new gas has me stumped.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 PM

First thing I would check is the petcock in the fuel tank. It might be partially plugged and not allow fuel to pass through the screen until enough suction from the engine running causes it to flow. Is the spark plug gapped correctly, does it have a fuel pump? if so is it weak? Are the fuel lines to the carb old and partially plugged?
Old 03-09-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
First thing I would check is the petcock in the fuel tank. It might be partially plugged and not allow fuel to pass through the screen until enough suction from the engine running causes it to flow. Is the spark plug gapped correctly, does it have a fuel pump? if so is it weak? Are the fuel lines to the carb old and partially plugged?
X2
If you bought it used and don't know the owner well, it could have done double duty as a muskeg submarine.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:04 AM

Simple to overlook, make sure the ventline from the gas cap isn’t plugged!
Old 03-10-2018, 01:44 AM

Bike runs when you add gas manually so you know all of the main parts like ignition, timing etc are working.

Is gas getting from the tank to the Carb? If no, fix. If yes, Carb is not set right.

Always start with the simplest fix and move to the more complicated.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Help!

pull the petcock out of gas tank. i think there's a debris
screen in there. an check all the vacuum lines are on the new carb.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM

This may sound odd but... Your valves may need adjusting, Valve clearance issues with your 660. If there is not enough vacuum the carb does not have a chance.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:30 PM

I had a similar situation with my 450 Honda. I finally tried to set the valves as per my service manual and couldn't do it despite having simple to follow instructions.

I finally took it to a dealer and it was discovered that the timing chain had slipped a notch or two. The guad had about 7000 km's on it. A new timing chain and it ran like a Honda again.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

This really does sound like a fuel supply problem, disconnect your gasoline at the carb and see if the gas flows freely through it and then go from there
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Collapsed fuel line

My guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 AM

If still no workee.......take it to T and T powersports in Bonnyville. Great to deal with and Steve is a very good mechanic.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
I had a similar situation with my 450 Honda. I finally tried to set the valves as per my service manual and couldn't do it despite having simple to follow instructions.

I finally took it to a dealer and it was discovered that the timing chain had slipped a notch or two. The guad had about 7000 km's on it. A new timing chain and it ran like a Honda again.
If hois valves are a long ways out, or the timing is that far off the bike would not start by putting fuel directly into the carb. When this happens 99.9% of the time the issue is gas not getting to the carb, or a carb problem. Pull the hose off the carb and see if you are getting gas. (Put the hose into a jar and crank the motor to ensure fuel pump or the gravity feed system works.) If it gets to carb in sufficient volume, then the carb is the issue.

Let us know what it is when you figure it out.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
If still no workee.......take it to T and T powersports in Bonnyville. Great to deal with and Steve is a very good mechanic.
Unfortunately I can't afford the $115 an hour.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If hois valves are a long ways out, or the timing is that far off the bike would not start by putting fuel directly into the carb. When this happens 99.9% of the time the issue is gas not getting to the carb, or a carb problem. Pull the hose off the carb and see if you are getting gas. (Put the hose into a jar and crank the motor to ensure fuel pump or the gravity feed system works.) If it gets to carb in sufficient volume, then the carb is the issue.

Let us know what it is when you figure it out.
When I unscrew the carb drain screw on the bottom I have gas flow out of it. Maybe not enough? The carb is a Niche carb, brand new not used. it is supposed to be all set up ready to run.

Here's a stupid question, the valve on the carb that the hose from the tank hooks up to has a plastic insert in it. should that come out? I left it in as it has a hole in it to let fuel pass. I know the carb is getting fuel just not sure if its enough.

thanks for the tips though guys! I'm really hoping this is just a easy fix and I'm just overlooking something as opposed to a valve issue.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:32 PM

Put your fuel petcock in reserve. Try starting.

Post a picture of this plastic piece on your carb you asked about.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Put your fuel petcock in reserve. Try starting.

Post a picture of this plastic piece on your carb you asked about.
I have done that.....still doesn't start. Don't have a pic now but ill try and get one up later
Old 03-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
before I put some 12g holes in my quad
...and PLEASE don't do that!

I'll "rescue" it from you first!
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Default Let Us Know

When you have found the problem then let us know what it was. You likely would have done this anyways. I'm sure that we all would like to know what the answer to your problem was.

Last edited by LSLAKER; 03-12-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Banned

It's fornicated. I'll give you $200. Lol just kidding well kinda.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
It's fornicated. I'll give you $200. Lol just kidding well kinda.
Add a zero and you have a deal. Lol. Runs like a charm, just needs some minor work
Old 03-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

I'm thinking that rubber thing you're talking about might be a dust plug. What happens if you pull it out? Have a look at the old carb and see if it has that plug in it.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I'm thinking that rubber thing you're talking about might be a dust plug. What happens if you pull it out? Have a look at the old carb and see if it has that plug in it.
My old one doesn’t have it. I thought it was a dust/dirt plug as well until I saw that it isn’t covered. Has a hole in it for fuel to flow through. I’ll take it off anyways and see
Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Banned

Should also be a parts schematic of the carb on the confuser. The only plastic I've seen on a carb is the float.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:26 PM

my 2006 - 660 rhino had similar problems, I put in a primer bulb in fuel line like a boat gas tank has in line. some how after using machine then left for a while gas drained back down lines into gas tank which is under passenger seat. It seems to have fixed my problem.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I can't afford the $115 an hour.
Phone the shop ask for Steve, describe situation.

Pretty sure it wont cost a thing.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Success. Kinda

So turns out the little plastic piece is a screen filter. Anyways I found my problem.....although I feel a little stupid. She running right now. What I learned today is that when you’re taking your carb in and out multiple times a day and you go to put your new one in, make sure it is seated all the way into the engine and not leaving a gap on the bottom for air to get in.

In my defence. I’m an Avionics guy. I fix electrical stuff on aircraft not so much a mechanical guy.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
So turns out the little plastic piece is a screen filter. Anyways I found my problem.....although I feel a little stupid. She running right now. What I learned today is that when you’re taking your carb in and out multiple times a day and you go to put your new one in, make sure it is seated all the way into the engine and not leaving a gap on the bottom for air to get in.

In my defence. I’m an Avionics guy. I fix electrical stuff on aircraft not so much a mechanical guy.
Right on.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Good deal. Fuel delivery issues can be hard to isolate but are an easy fix once you do. Doing it yourself you learned lots and it is always handy to be able to fix your own stuff, especially 30 miles from the road.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 AM

Honestly, I hate carburetors. I’ve dealt with them far too many times. I’m obviously no expert but have learned a lot about them with the issues I’ve had with them.

My original carb was obviously the issue I had to start with. Just got frustrating when the new one wouldn’t work either, even tho it was my fault on installation. Happy now tho. Now I get to work on the other issues (nothing big) just couple years of wear and tear such as not being able to put it in park. Ahhhh the joys of having toys.

Anyways thanks to all for your help and input and to others with offers for help through PM. I’m sure I’ll have more help threads in the future
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Woohoo! Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for sharing the solution!