Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 AM

Another right handed left eye dominant fellow here - began making the switch in my teens when I couldn't hit anything consistently with my shotgun so started shooting shotguns left handed - eventually got a ambi Browning BPS which I still own. A few years ago I made the switch to shooting rifles left handed. Took me about a year of practice to really feel comfortable and now I prefer shooting lefty more than right handed. I also cured myself of shooting with only one eye open - find I am more accurate with both eyes open.

To the original poster, make the switch; you won't regret it.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
sheephunter

I know what you mean about feeling totally unnatural. I'm left-eye dominant but have always shot right handed without issue. I've had no issues with scope, open sights or shooting both eyes open with shotgun. I don't see it as being a big deal at all.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I know what you mean about feeling totally unnatural. I'm left-eye dominant but have always shot right handed without issue. I've had no issues with scope, open sights or shooting both eyes open with shotgun. I don't see it as being a big deal at all.
you obviously have not shot sporting clays or pistol matches.its not a big deal until yardage guesses and precise bead placement come into play at the same time.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom gunworx View Post
you obviously have not shot sporting clays or pistol matches.its not a big deal until yardage guesses and precise bead placement come into play at the same time.
Please don't assume what I have and haven't done.............It works just fine for me...your mileage may vary.....
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Please don't assume what I have and haven't done.............It works just fine for me...your mileage may vary.....
please dont say it is not a big deal to people who know it really is.dont worry about my mileage either
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
please dont say it is not a big deal to people who know it really is.dont worry about my mileage either
The OP asked a question and I answered it based on my personal experience. You stuck your nose in and told me what I obviously haven't done without having a clue what I have or haven't done. Based on my personal experience being left eye dominant and shooting right handed is "no big deal" but that's just based on my experience. Your mileage may vary. There's a saying about making assumptions......but in this case I'm not sure the second part holds true.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM

whatever makes you sleep better at night tj.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default ambidextrous

An interesting thread. I am ambidextrous in that I write, shoot and curl right handed but play ball and golf left handed. I usually use my right hand when picking up a cup but wear a watch and wipe left handed. Interestingly I never gave any conscious thought as to which hand I chose to use but my left arm is definatly stronger than my right.

When my friend brought up the subject of eye dominance I found that both eyes are equal. My friend insisted that that was not possible but it is. Being this well balanced should be a tremendous asset when shooting a shotgun but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. I have always chalked it up to never really using a shotgun enough to have become proficient. Perhaps I would never have become good with a shotgun even if I tried????

Are there any other ambidextrous people out there that have equal eye dominance? I guess with practice we should be able to become equally good at shooting both right and left handed.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am in the same boat as you it has never effected me,maybe some people have a real dominant eye another not so much?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
whatever makes you sleep better at night tj.
Tough week at work? Sometimes adults have different opinions on the internet...it's okay. I was just offering some personal experience to the OP. If your mileage differs, I can appreciate that. No need to make it personal... I shoot just fine from my non-dominant side. I know many others that do too! That's interesting to learn that you know others that don't.....
Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 AM

I'm also a right hand/left eye dominant. I've had no problems shooting right with a rifle as it's quite easy to remember to close that dominant eye and now it's just habit. With shotgunning I found for the first few yrs that shooting with both eyes open made me more accurate than closing my left and trying to shoot with a very undominant eye, but with more practice I've found that if I watch with both eyes and close my left/align my right eye with the barrel just before I pull the trigger I've got no issues shooting as acurately as those who shoot same side dominance. It is just wwwaaayyyy to awkward to try and swap sides.

Danni
Old 08-21-2010, 12:53 AM

My little boy is right handed and left eye dominant as well. To further his challenge. The little fella still can't wink so he can't just close one eye even if he wanted to. I spoke to him about it and asked which felt best and he did not care. So I started him off shooting off the left shoulder.

He claims it just feels great to him now. Lucky to have figured it out at an early age. And man can he shoot!!!