Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Exclamation Do You See What I See?

I have quite the array of brass for this rifle, much of it being range pick up brass.

A good tumbling exposed this issue to me.

Incipent case head separation!

Now I’m in hyper vigilant mode.

Just an FYI to all.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Any idea how many times that particular brass has been fired?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarie_boy1 View Post
Any idea how many times that particular brass has been fired?
Likely some range brass from lord knows when.

The point is the somewhat tarnished cases all looked fine when they went in the tumbler last night, it’s amazing what one finds once things are all shined up.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Lots of old Tuddy Tuddies with too much head space. Not surprised to see this on range brass. Good you caught is before shooting it again.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Lots of old Tuddy Tuddies with too much head space. Not surprised to see this on range brass. Good you caught is before shooting it again.
Yup, I had it happen a while ago when a case head let go, and all that ejected from the Marlin was a 1/2” of case head. Solved easily enough with a pistol caliber bore brush and a cleaning rod, but it sure ramps up your diligence and the like there after.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 AM

303 brass I am guessing, fired once.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM

I am at the point where I can afford a new bag of brass. However, whenever I am at a range, I will ALWAYS go dumpster diving for brass. As often as not, it is the plastic sleeves from the box. Why in hell wouldn't I? I am no longer in the 5 year phase where I was flipping rifles monthly, and never knew what I may need.

I never sold what I found, but I sure have given lots away to friends I used to load for. I still have bags in the basement nicely counted and sorted.

I am gonna say this loud and clear because people need a reminder... NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

To start with, 15% of this province is out of work. Then add in people who are starting out in the game, have families, or any other number of things.

Sometimes we need to remember that before we post stuff (not just this thread).

Nothing wrong with range brass chucked in the can by someone who doesn't reload. You wouldn't believe how much 308 brass I would get after the cops packed up.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I am at the point where I can afford a new bag of brass. However, whenever I am at a range, I will ALWAYS go dumpster diving for brass. As often as not, it is the plastic sleeves from the box. Why in hell wouldn't I? I am no longer in the 5 year phase where I was flipping rifles monthly, and never knew what I may need.

I never sold what I found, but I sure have given lots away to friends I used to load for. I still have bags in the basement nicely counted and sorted.

I am gonna say this loud and clear because people need a reminder... NOT EVERYONE CAN AFFORD THE BEST OF EVERYTHING.

To start with, 15% of this province is out of work. Then add in people who are starting out in the game, have families, or any other number of things.

Sometimes we need to remember that before we post stuff (not just this thread).

Nothing wrong with range brass chucked in the can by someone who doesn't reload. You wouldn't believe how much 308 brass I would get after the cops packed up.

It's not just about having the best, it's also about avoiding nasty surprises. If I see someone toss a box of once fired factory cases into the brass barrel, then I have picked them out, as I know that they are once fired, and that there won't be any surprises. Some people even put their fired cases back into the factory boxes, so they are sorted by lot, and those are also good finds. But I won't dig loose cases with mixed headstamps out of the barrel, because I don't know their history, or if they are from several lots with different capacities. If you find five or six cases today, another five or six tomorrow, and a dozen the next day, they are likely from different lots, and the case capacity may vary. Now if you are shooting a hunting rifle that isn't overly accurate, and you don't shoot past 200 yards, and you don't load to the maximum, then mixing cases may be fine, however many hunters will take that 500 yard shot at a game animal, or will load to book max with no work up, and a difference in cases can cause issues. I have seen people beating open bolts, because they used maximum book loads, and mixed cases, and tracking a wounded animal because your long range shot was a few inches off, is not a fun way to spend a day.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:44 AM

If I'm out and seeing people using new factory stuff that either I or my friends can use, I'll certainly grab it. I've used it for horse trading over the years as well. Doesn't take long to inspect it, and the payback on it is there down the road. Used it for plinker brass, saved the good stuff I bought for the designated purpose. Unfortunately, I own a bunch of stuff I don't find a lot of, if any, at the range, so it mostly gets used in horsetrading.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:13 AM

I should add, I only dumpster dive for cases that are obviously shiny new and once fired.