Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Default Please help on Ghost lake for lake whites

tried ice fishing it for the last couple weeks by myself with no luck. i wouldn't normally ask about this lake since a lot of people go out there and also get skunked but im taking my girlfriends little brother out there and it would really discourage him if we went there without bringing him back at least one. and since my scouting ventures were a complete fail i am asking anyone with information on where to fish this lake for some white fish.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Just use the search on here it is called ice fishing Ghost lake 4-24-2011 in april 2011
it shows the bell hook etc
Hope this helps
David

i typed in Ghost Lake fishing then scroll down to post .. good luck
Old 01-16-2012, 01:37 PM

ya i have seen that post. i do use the bell hook it is silver though not gold. when i go to ghost i don't even see fish in the fish camera i must just be in the wrong area
Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
ya i have seen that post. i do use the bell hook it is silver though not gold. when i go to ghost i don't even see fish in the fish camera i must just be in the wrong area
Seen a Show on TV a few years back. They were fishing Ghost along the Steep Wall on the North side of the Lake...Down about 70 ft with Jigheads and Minnows and caught lots BUT this was in Oct. Open water..never had any luck there through the Ice..
Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomE View Post
Seen a Show on TV a few years back. They were fishing Ghost along the Steep Wall on the North side of the Lake...Down about 70 ft with Jigheads and Minnows and caught lots BUT this was in Oct. Open water..never had any luck there through the Ice..
That would be the fishing alberta show
Old 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM

If it were me taking a kid fishing I would ditch the witefish and go for almost anything else. And, I would stay away from Ghost. That lake isnt my friend..lol
good luck to you both.
kidd
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Go to the north boat lauch, fish the west shore about 3-400 yards north from there. Fish in 6-15' water with flys and maggots. You will catch Rocky Mountain Whitefish not Lake whitefish. May even get the odd brown and rainbow, try out deeper in 30-40' with smelts might get some lakers and ling. If you are targeting the lake whites you have to go up around the village not sure how good it is right now.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM

Ghost Lake is one of the hardest lakes to fish especially if you have no experince on it. If I was taking a young person icefishing it would be at chain lakes where you can caught 12" trout most anywhere on the lake.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
tried ice fishing it for the last couple weeks by myself with no luck. i wouldn't normally ask about this lake since a lot of people go out there and also get skunked but im taking my girlfriends little brother out there and it would really discourage him if we went there without bringing him back at least one. and since my scouting ventures were a complete fail i am asking anyone with information on where to fish this lake for some white fish.
do you have any sonar?
Old 01-16-2012, 05:52 PM

i have a portable hummingbird fishfinder to find depth
Old 01-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

Anyone here actually ever catch a lake white in ghost?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Anyone here actually ever catch a lake white in ghost?
Why eye outta!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefever View Post
Go to the north boat lauch, fish the west shore about 3-400 yards north from there. Fish in 6-15' water with flys and maggots. You will catch Rocky Mountain Whitefish not Lake whitefish. May even get the odd brown and rainbow, try out deeper in 30-40' with smelts might get some lakers and ling. If you are targeting the lake whites you have to go up around the village not sure how good it is right now.
Where does the river end and the reservoir begin? From what I am interpreting in the regs is that the river is closed. Would the area you are describing be the river?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:35 AM

i have had some decent luck, go to the main parking lot, from there walk down the boat launch, walk out about 30 feet and turn right, walk about another 30-40 feet and set up, should be in about 20 feet of water, easily seeing bottom.i use wire worms and maggots. caught everything from small lakers and burds and lots of whites, both kinds. yellow wire worms work best for me, good luck, but if your chasing whites and your in disbury go to sylvan or gull lake , there much bigger and more of them, sylvan is probably your best bet, same set up, fish around 6-10 feet of water, and if you have a camera the kid will love there fish everywhere in that lake
Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
i have had some decent luck, go to the main parking lot, from there walk down the boat launch, walk out about 30 feet and turn right, walk about another 30-40 feet and set up, should be in about 20 feet of water, easily seeing bottom.i use wire worms and maggots. caught everything from small lakers and burds and lots of whites, both kinds. yellow wire worms work best for me, good luck, but if your chasing whites and your in disbury go to sylvan or gull lake , there much bigger and more of them, sylvan is probably your best bet, same set up, fish around 6-10 feet of water, and if you have a camera the kid will love there fish everywhere in that lake
i am at university living in residence at the moment i'm not very close to home