Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 AM

Default gun safe

Looking at firearm security, and there are a lot of different gun safes out there! What I'm after is what you got, what you like and most importantly what you would NOT get. Thanks for your info guys.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

I have a Kodiak safe. For one reason - the swing out gun rack. I fit less guns in there, but that rack is something else. No more safe kisses. It also comes with a door panel for handguns etc. as well as a lighting kit. Peavey Mart had them on sale for $1300 a while back. The website currently shows them as $2300 USD.

Well there is a second reason. The distressed / antique look is pretty cool.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebo View Post
Looking at firearm security, and there are a lot of different gun safes out there! What I'm after is what you got, what you like and most importantly what you would NOT get. Thanks for your info guys.
Pretty happy with the ol' Costco special, although I think I need a another for the bolt guns, but at 400$ you ain't gonna nothing much cheaper, but they ain't the hugest, got 8 guns and a considerable amount of ammo in mine. Hear the electronic keypads go but I haven't had any issues, as well there are keys.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 AM

Was going to mention the Costco one as well. Can't beat the price.

BH

Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM

Before cordless grinders came along, I think any of the safes that had decent locking mechanisms and were too heavy for two guys to carry were sufficient.
Now the meth heads just use a cordless grinder with a zip disc and can cut a hole in the side of safe in about two minutes. I recently bought a 3000lb retired bank vault; it will take a lot of zip discs to get through it, and it certainly won't get loaded into a the back of a truck. If I ever arrive home to find my door kicked in, I hope to find a couple of squished robbers trapped under it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Are you looking for a safe or a "safe", also known as a residential security locker?

If you just looking to meet regulations and keep the kids out, any old locker should do the trick. If you want an actual safe, there are some decent deals on Kijiji if you have a budget and time to look.

Here is one example:

Kijiji
Old 03-19-2018, 10:51 AM

I have a 24 gun combination safe that holds 15 realistically, no fire insulation (I have insurance) bolted securely to the wall. Bolts, slides, cylinders and magazines etc. are kept in a smaller concealed safe its removable so I can leave at a friends house while I'm not home for extended periods.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Default What Safe to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebo View Post
I have a Liberty Safe, hinges are internal and combination is mechanical. This has been reliable and subject to two break and enters without loss. It is heavy and immovable when loaded. Liberty also has a contents replacement guarantee on their high quality units. Check their web site for comparisons and an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of other safes.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:00 PM

I have a liberty as well. Look on youtube. Any none commercial safe can be broken into in minutes. They are not nearly as safe as one thinks. If you have the cash go to a reputable lock co & buy from them. Also safes with electronic locks can be broken into with a magnet in less than 60 seconds.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Arrow Gun Safes

Costco has a few in stock, on their on-line website (from $1750 to $750) ... https://www.costco.ca/hardware-safes.html

Stay away from the tin boxes (a.k.a. 'security cabinets' ). With nothing more than a half-decent sized screwdriver,
a teenager can pry them open in about 2 minutes.

Selkirk
Old 03-19-2018, 01:12 PM

Interesting video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8ViUdd-2LM
Old 03-19-2018, 01:52 PM

Thumbs up Good Vid !

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
No safe is a 100% 'safe' ... the better ones, just take longer to break into.

Selkirk
Old 03-22-2018, 06:47 AM

All depends on what you're putting in it. If you only have a few guns worth maybe a few thousand, you should be okay with a big box brand, but just make sure you place it in a confined space where access to the sides and back are limited and of course, bolt it down. The rating of the safe only applies to the door. The back and sides of box store safes only offer roughly the same level of security as a cabinet, and as mentioned in previous posts, you can break into one in minutes with an angle grinder. Liberty Safes are pretty decent. It's what I have.

If you want to display your safe proudly in your man cave, or have $50,000 worth of guns/valueables to put in it, then invest a Graffunder.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:39 AM

Cabelas 30 gun safe is $350 off right now. Lowest I have seen it.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:43 AM

I am a new to this whole business and just went with the cheap cabinet. My concern is more access to my gun by kids and quick access by a thief. At most, I will accumulate $4000 worth of firearms in the next couple years and if someone breaks into my house and steals them they will be easily replaced. I have the cabinet bolted in a corner in a cramped space and it will still be a pain in the butt to get into and would likely be 20 minutes with a crowbar or need a grinder.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I am a new to this whole business and just went with the cheap cabinet. My concern is more access to my gun by kids and quick access by a thief. At most, I will accumulate $4000 worth of firearms in the next couple years and if someone breaks into my house and steals them they will be easily replaced. I have the cabinet bolted in a corner in a cramped space and it will still be a pain in the butt to get into and would likely be 20 minutes with a crowbar or need a grinder.
And a cabinet is perfectly okay for the purposes of keeping your kids’ hands off of your firearms. My only concern with a cabinet is if the thief can detach it, they have all your kit. At least with a safe, the only option is to breach it. Unless there are multiple thieves with a truck and moving equipment, and I’m not sure your average junkie is that coordinated lol.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:20 AM
Banned

I own SentrySafe Pistol Safe (you can read the review on it here https://secretstorages.com/best-floor-safes/ ) . It allows me quick access, just in case. My safe comes with key and combo lock. It fits my 5 handguns easy. Besides guns, I keep some valuables and documents there.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 AM

This video is a must watch. They even show how most retail store safes are broken into these days. A cut into the side and the metal is just peeled away since it is just thin sheet metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAyRO566sU

You need to decide if you want an actual safe or just a cheap security container and what kind of fire resistance you want.

If you want something high security you could even buy used to save some money. Contact some locksmiths and find out what there is for safe techs/dealers in the vicinity. If you have valuables phone up your insurance and see if you get a discount for having a quality safe.

Regardless of what you buy, INSTALL IT CORRECTLY. You need to anchor it to the floor/walls. IIRC one member here was going through a divorce I think, had her and the new druggie boyfriend break in and walk out with 2 gun safes. Cops told him too bad, they didn't do a dang thing.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aciousB View Post
And a cabinet is perfectly okay for the purposes of keeping your kids’ hands off of your firearms. My only concern with a cabinet is if the thief can detach it, they have all your kit. At least with a safe, the only option is to breach it. Unless there are multiple thieves with a truck and moving equipment, and I’m not sure your average junkie is that coordinated lol.
I agree with you, if I had some real cash invested in firearms or had handguns I would buy a safe. Mine would be a hassle to take out though, bolted into concrete in 4 spots and wedged in a cramped corner in a utility room behind a deep freeze. Not going to make it too pleasant for them.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 AM

I went with a Fort Knox maverick series. I had mine custom painted and configured. I like it.