Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
A bit of possible advice to some of you guy's. My wife dropped her's in the toilet. She fished it out, rinsed it off, Wiped it down. Threw in in a bowl of rice for a week or so, been working ever since. that was about 10 month's ago that it went swimming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Just to be clear, that is uncooked rice.

ARG
Yeah, but you can always cook the rice up later after the phone has dried out....waste not, want not. Call it the E coli special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I don't recall any of my BlackBerrys having issues that required replacement.
Yup, most durable phones imo. I've got an old Curve, and Classic that both work fine, used daily for a couple years each before I got my Passport. It's going on two years and still going strong. I've had them drop off scaffold 12 feet down to OSB and not had any breakage.

I did have a Motorola flip phone back when, that fell out of my pocket into the bottom of a five gallon pail of paint. It didn't work so good after that. Fishing it out was kind of messy too.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-23-2018, 03:20 PM

Crushed my Samsung Galaxy 5 with my fat ass while crawling under my deck last summer to see how rotted the joists are
Old 03-23-2018, 03:58 PM

Remember clear as day... Paid $300 for a Galaxy S4 plus a 4 year (?) contract when it was almost brand new. Of course declined the insurances or buying a ripoff $50 phone case from the place as i had a Chinese knock-off case on order already.

Following day after a drunken softball tourney out in the country I was slumped in a lawn chair on some guys cement patio when I felt the phone slip out of my shorts pocket , hit the ground, and just spider the glass all over the thing. Wasn't so bad I couldn't use it and ended up replacing the glass myself when the repair kits got cheap a year or so later but still.... Mad was an understatement.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:14 PM

I was at work and my ratchet skipped an I ran my knuckle into the sheet metal... Got ****ed off and whipped it into my tool box, where my phone was sitting
Old 03-23-2018, 06:07 PM

After one too many ceasars trying to negotiate the wet rocks at Rock Island Lake. Slip, rip, splash, Slipped, tore my brand new pants in two and I splashed in the water with my year old Samsung S6 in my pocket. Tried the rice thing, sacrificed a chicken and did a tribal dance but nothing could save it.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:32 PM

The morning after I got a new flip phone I forgot it on the table after breakfast and went to work. Wife calls me a few hours later and says guess what, the dog chewed up your phone.
Lost 300 dollars on that one.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yeah, but you can always cook the rice up later after the phone has dried out....waste not, want not. Call it the E coli special.

Yup, most durable phones imo. I've got an old Curve, and Classic that both work fine, used daily for a couple years each before I got my Passport. It's going on two years and still going strong. I've had them drop off scaffold 12 feet down to OSB and not had any breakage.

I did have a Motorola flip phone back when, that fell out of my pocket into the bottom of a five gallon pail of paint. It didn't work so good after that. Fishing it out was kind of messy too.....
I have the new KeyOne. I don’t feel it is as durable, but it also is not made by blackberry. Still a good phone though, the blackberry touches to the android software are indispensable.

Too bad I had to move away from the BB10 software. It was by far the best software of any mobile device.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I have not damaged a cell phone, yet.

But I watched a co-worker drive over hers, with a pavement roller.

They can get thinner. And they do melt down if crushed. It was exciting, when it caught fire in her pocket. We all learned some new dance steps that day.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-24-2018, 08:38 AM

Ran over a couple and the last one I put thru the grain vac found it in the load of grain in 3 pieces.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 AM

Was ice fishing and it was time to go. Thought I had put the phone in my pocket, but it was on my lap. I stood up and it went right into the 6” hole. Didn’t even touch the ice. I reached in the hole and tried to grab it but missed. I watched it sink to the bottom.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:33 PM

I couldn't find my note 4 after dropping of my first deer at the butchers. I went back and found my phone in a puddle of blood in front the butchers. It was a disgusting muddy gore fest. It was under old blood for 30 minutes or more. Took out the battery and rinsed it under water for quite a while. The blood kept dripping out the headphone jack. Dried it off and it mostly worked. Sans blutooth and wifi. Used it for another few months. Smelled like dead.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 AM

Passed out on the floor of a friends living room, woke up an hour later and phone was in my pocket driving me nuts, pulled it out reached up to the coffee table and let it go in the dark, woke up in the morning about 5 hours later and it was fully immersed in a mug of beer. Damn thing never did turn back on. Guess I should have felt around before just letting go.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Watched a young lad on a dock one evening, a little drunk show the ladies a hand stand...phone went in 6' of water...light slowly went out...800 bucks later...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 AM

Only phone I have ever wrecked was 6 years ago, when I slipped on a rock, and the water came in over the top of my waders. Man, those batteries get hot fast.

I know one person who believed the myth that you could charge a phone by putting it in the microwave. Needless to say, it didn't end the way she expected.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM

Not the phone .... but windshield with the phone

Spiderwebbed it in the middle.

Velocity
Old 03-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Never use the top a truck tire as a convenient within reach place to store your phone when working underneath your truck. It'll be barely recognizable when you get back from the test drive.
I've learnt that lesson the hard way, but I left mine on my front bumper.

I allways have a spare phone ready to go i case my current one ever caves after that incident.

I was dredging the poo ponds (water ponds that the city dumps raw waste into) at the Hinton pulp mill about 5 yrs ago and a former co-worker who was the dredge operator had his new iPhone plugged in on the dredges "dash" and stepped out for a whizz and came back to find the charge cord hanging over the edge and his phone floating beside the boat, in raw waste. Bought a new one that night and guess what happened to that one? Fell out of his upper pocket into the pond as he was dooing maintenance on the dredge a few days later.

After replacing it a second time he was almost $3000 deep in iPhones inside of a week.