Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Default Legal OR Not Legal???

Have talked to a few people that believe that the Automatic Fisherman would be considered illegal in Alberta. Apparently Fish and Wildlife Officers have had differing opinions on it as well.

For anyone that doesn't know, it's basically a tipup that uses your own jigging rod, and utilizes the rod's flex to set the hook. I would be interested in trying it for those short striking species as well as preventing deep hooks in burbot or walleye.

When I'm looking in the regulations all I can find that might be applicable would be...
Quote:
It is Unlawful To: ......
•Fish by snagging.
•Possess fish taken by snagging.
•Possess a snagging device while angling.
•Use gaffs, gaff hooks or spring-loaded hooks.
-The intent is not to snag but to set the hook on a fish running with the bait
-The hook is not being spring loaded

Am I missing something? Am I safe to order?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:42 PM

I saw them or something very close to that for sale at the Fish'n Hole last year. I would phone them and ask what kind of feedback they got from F&W.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 AM

And I thought a pik rig was lazy Jus kiddin. Not to sure bout this one. I certainly would not call that snagging. However, if u keep getting varying opinions from FnW I would get some signatures from some of them that say it is ok to use jus in case u run into an officer on the water and they are unsure. Or, be persistent with FnW and keep nagging them till u can get a real answer from someone who knows? My 2 bits

P.s. - what's the cost on those things?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 AM

Saw a gadget like this years ago only it was homemade. A mouse trap was the setting device when the fish started pulling and the snap of the trap was the alarm system to fish being on.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Not a lot different from a down rigger set up. However in that instance, it is to help remove slack line during the release. Kinda the same principle though.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
Saw a gadget like this years ago only it was homemade. A mouse trap was the setting device when the fish started pulling and the snap of the trap was the alarm system to fish being on.

A old friend of mine made his with rat traps and broken hockey sticks for legs and after 20 some odd years they are still working like they did the first day.
I will try and get a picture.

In all that time he has never been questioned about them.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Have talked to a few people that believe that the Automatic Fisherman would be considered illegal in Alberta. Apparently Fish and Wildlife Officers have had differing opinions on it as well.

For anyone that doesn't know, it's basically a tipup that uses your own jigging rod, and utilizes the rod's flex to set the hook. I would be interested in trying it for those short striking species as well as preventing deep hooks in burbot or walleye.

When I'm looking in the regulations all I can find that might be applicable would be...

-The intent is not to snag but to set the hook on a fish running with the bait
-The hook is not being spring loaded

Am I missing something? Am I safe to order?

For starters, if that contraption snaps up to hook a fish then how is that any more snagging than setting the hook yourself? Second, the regs forbid spring loaded HOOKS, not spring loaded rods. Pretty much straight forward in my books.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 AM

I have one, got it from bass pro 2 years ago (TO). I use it all the time, been checked many times by a F+W officer and they were more curious to see it in action that anything else. It's just like a tip up, no different but it sets the hook for you. There is a picture of me setting it on my profile: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/album...&pictureid=480

I use it everytime i'm out. Fish with one rod and set the automatic fisherman with the other. Works good at spray when you lay a whole smelt right on the bottom with a plain jig head. Lakers come by and scoop it up and then it sets the hook.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys - that makes me feel alot better about ordering one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfloatin View Post
A old friend of mine made his with rat traps and broken hockey sticks for legs and after 20 some odd years they are still working like they did the first day.
I will try and get a picture.
I'd love to see that contraption. I'm all about the DIY!

I looked on the Fishin Hole website, no mention of it. Might just be a case of not being up yet. If you order right from their website (also sold out?!?) they are 36.99 US without shipping. It'd be nice to find a local supplier. Gonna ask at WSS sports today... we'll see how that goes
Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 AM

Can be purchased here

http://www.canadianoutdoorstore.com/...ufacturerid=85
Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM

this a sweet invention, cause not only are you going to catch more, but also set a shallower hook easier on the fish and angler. Less fish dying from deep hook setting.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 AM

I saw something similar to this at The Wal this morning. From looking at it, the principle is very similar to the automatic fisherman, only the design is a little simpler. It's from H.T. Enterprises, but I can't find it on their website, otherwise I'd post a pic.

I think it was about $18...if it works it'd be a fair bit less expensive than the automatic fisherman. I'll probably end up picking one up once it gets colder just to see if it works. If not, I can always return it

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Fun to use..

I have one bought it last year at the fishin hole. They do work and makes it easier to release fish. My buddies laughed at it at first.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:27 PM

I've been using one for the last couple of years. Originally sent info to a Gov't official and response was there wasn't an issue with them.

Did make a revision with mine. When after Eyes or Ling, I normally use 1/2 oz Jigs. Found that the Bobber would not be heavy enough to stay down. I have replaced the Bobber with a Casting Bobber. All I do now is open up the Casting Bobber and put in Lead shot until is heavy enough to act as a Counterweight. With just enough shot, I can set the Jig/Minnow to be just off bottom or set it few inches off.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Default Excellent idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchow View Post
I've been using one for the last couple of years. Originally sent info to a Gov't official and response was there wasn't an issue with them.

Did make a revision with mine. When after Eyes or Ling, I normally use 1/2 oz Jigs. Found that the Bobber would not be heavy enough to stay down. I have replaced the Bobber with a Casting Bobber. All I do now is open up the Casting Bobber and put in Lead shot until is heavy enough to act as a Counterweight. With just enough shot, I can set the Jig/Minnow to be just off bottom or set it few inches off.
Excellent idea tchow I am going to try that this year thanks ...

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 11-13-2009, 05:31 PM

If anyone sees these around could you please let me know. Apparently the company that makes em didn't get their stock to TFH in time this year. Or if there's enough interest we could make a group order. The S&H, Duty etc. doesn't make it feasible to order out of the U.S. for just one.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:30 PM

I think for $40 USD plus shipping I will make my own. There are some decent looking ones on iceshanty.com that look easy enough to fabricate in a few minutes time.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

Default Auto fisherman

I like using them with a wave buster bobber, rather than than the one that comes with it, just leave about 2-3 inches slack at the rod tip. Make sure you use a fairly soft tip rod, not really soft but you may break the tip off some of the finer stiffer graphite rods while setting it if you are not carefull.Found this out the hard way.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Personally I think it would be legal, it says no device used to "snag" fish and I think snagging would be considered foul hooking the fish intentionally but if it sets the hook in the mouth of the fish it would be legal also the hook is normal it's just you are using the rods bending action to your advantage so it's not really a spring loaded hook