Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 06:27 AM

Default Ammunitions Courier Questions

Hi I live North Eastern Ontario I retired and took up reloading about six years ago and want to thank you for your expertise on this forum.

I am down to 80 large rifle primers and have been checking the internet for any sales and found a few lately and what I found out about Couriers that will transport primers and powder and ammo the only one is UPS.
I have had problems in the past with this shipper on other items so I wanted to get this rectified and tried to contact UPS for more information all I get is a call centre and they want a tracking number or they can't help me.

So I checked for thier depots on the net and find one in Timmins so I drive 1.5 hrs and find the addres provide on the net and pull into a Can Par building and a small sign in the window saying UPS Depot.
They told me that CanPar is a third party shipper outsourced by UPS for Northern Ontario and CanPar is no longer allowed to ship ammo or its componets so if they get an order in they will make out an incedent report and send it back to UPS.
So I have no way of purchasing power and componets in Northern Ontario
because UPS does not really deliver here.
UPS only has thier own courier service in southern Ontario
I am a little upset at this cause I would have to drive to southern Ontario which is 9 Hours away and Higginson which is Ottawa way is 11 hours away.

Any one out in Western and northern Canada have the same issue?
Old 03-23-2024, 10:06 AM

The onlyvway around it is to make a road trip. Or find a friend going south and make a point of picking up whatever you need when you are down south .
It sucks, I know ......
Cat
Old 03-24-2024, 06:11 AM

Thanks Cat I am trying to figure out a solution waiting for Monday to make some calls and inquries.
I posted this thread to see if it was a problem in Western Canada or Northern Canada.
Only one answer so I guess it not a problem .
The big guys Cabelas,Higginson,Elwood Epps still no Large rifle primers here in Ontario.

Thanks Beadrick
Old 03-24-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The onlyvway around it is to make a road trip. Or find a friend going south and make a point of picking up whatever you need when you are down south .
It sucks, I know ......
Cat
I pick up 4-5 orders for friends every time I pass Prophet River, and I have arranged for friends/AO members to bring components from other locations. With so much anti firearms nonsense going around, we have to help out each other, to keep supplied.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:06 PM

What I have found with UPS is that they do not have the actual delivery drivers "licensed" to handle dangerous goods.

I have found that as long as the shipper is okay to send it to a drop off location, that usually works to get around the delivery to the house.

Crazy I know, as it is probably the same drivers that deliver to the business as to residential, but so far that has worked.

I have another shipment of primers coming in from Alberta to BC, to be picked up at a business drop/pickup location. 4 min drive for me.

That said, I have not had issues from higginson for primers or powders with direct delivery.

But you will have the problem of supply. Finding stock. I have heard there is a new shipment of large rifle RWS that is on the way to dealers already, so look out for some in your areas. I don't know who is getting any, or how much, but heard it is on the way out.

Maybe you can get someone to pickup and send to you.
Old 03-26-2024, 04:54 AM

Wallz
i found some RSW Large Rifle Primers at a gun shop in Southern Ontario and when I told the fellow my problem not getting Primers he told me that he keeps a supply of Primers for his loyal customers in his area and he would hold a brick of 1000 for me.
I will be heading South next week to get them, won't be cheap cost of gas, meals and motels and Primers.
I am happy will be able to shoot soon as the snow melts.

Beadrick

Last edited by Beadrick; 03-26-2024 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-26-2024, 12:22 PM

Who waits for the snow to melt to go shoot?

This year I have been shooting all winter, except for the really cold days. This has cost me extra components for sure, but life is too short to worry about the little things.