Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Default Newell today

Partner and I tried spent a fun day there today. Took home 3 nice ones a few almost keepers back down the hole and about a dozen half way up and lost. Fished 13 ft of water and ice measured 19 inch on the stick. Quite a bit of snow made for slugging the sled. All in all a great day.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:06 AM

did you drive on or see many people with vehicles out on Newell? Its my favorite pike lake, but I am a lazy ass and like to drive on when I can.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Walked out

We walked but probably could have driven. With 19 inches where we were it was good. I would drill other holes to check first.
It was only our second time there so we are not familiar enough with that area. There also was no good looking land to drive out. Was pretty steep so would need to find a drive on spot. It would have been nice as the snow was sticky and made it a good exercise day as we were a ways out. Did not see any others anywhere on the lake from where we were.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM

there are a couple access points around lake newell resort(not the provincial park although you can get on there too), but then I have to drive quite a ways to get to my "spot", so I like to have some decent ice before I go galavanting all over. Nice to have a prior set of track to follow from those people braver than me.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
We walked but probably could have driven. With 19 inches where we were it was good. I would drill other holes to check first.
It was only our second time there so we are not familiar enough with that area. There also was no good looking land to drive out. Was pretty steep so would need to find a drive on spot. It would have been nice as the snow was sticky and made it a good exercise day as we were a ways out. Did not see any others anywhere on the lake from where we were.
Whereabouts were you fishing if you don't mind me asking?