Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Boating Licence

has anyone ever been checked to see if they have a licence?

I wrote mine today...

Funny that fishing lodges are exempt I believe and also do not give any lessons or information on what safe boating is.

I have seen some really bad drivers

Cheers

Sun
Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Default License

Funny you asked. As we are both regulars on the board fishing weekly, weekends all year round, we are bound to be checked out. I got my boat license the first year they came out and since then have been asked for fishing license, check barbs, check cooler for booze etc. etc. but not once has the fish police ever asked if I have my boating license. Have myself asked many times why was the rush to be sure I had one as soon as I heard of the changes? I guess that why my friends always refer my nickname as the warden. Some of us just like to be sure to follow the rules......
Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 PM

Default Not required yet

I didn't think he licenses were required on most of the larger boats until this year...I know there are some weird rules on the size of the boat and age of user but it doesn't surprise me that they haven't asked yet.

Are you sure that fishing lodges are exempt? This seems amazing! Lodges routinely put absolute beginers in boats with little more than a 10 minute rundown on everything (including using gear, radio use and boat controls & operation). These users are an accident waiting to happen so I can't for the life of me figure out why they would be exempt - these unskilled users are the reason for the licensing in the first place.

If you are correct this would truly be a feat of negotiation for the lodge owners (many of which are going broke right now). Much like the gun registry, it would completely bypass the worst offenders; this is obviously a federal govn't program.

Shaking my head in amazement
Zeke
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM

I have until September 15,but I plan on getting mine this spring.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 AM

If you were born after 1983 it has been a requirement for a number of years now to have a boating licence, i think i have had mine for about 9 years now, and have never been asked. It's just this year where everyone is required.

Dustin
Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 AM

Do people over 65 need this boat lience,my dad was told this.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Default Boating licence

From My instructors manual approved by the DOT

" All Operators ..... By Sept 15 , 2009 ....

Less than 12 yrs .... can driveboat with less than 10 hp...must have a licence

12 to 15 yrs... can drive boat with less than 40 hp..... must have licence ...

Under 16 ... NO personal watercraft ....( seadoo )

The moratorium of sorts is off Sept 15 , 2009 .. You can expect

full enforcement at that time ....I am told probably the last boat show

where you will be able to challenge the exam ....You will likely have to take a safe boating class after this ...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 AM

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_rules-en.aspx

As far as age is concerned:

Quote:
Q. Is there a grandfather clause or age exemption?

A. No, there is no grandfather clause or age exemption – this law applies to all operators, regardless of age.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:46 AM

picked up my stuff at the boat show yesterday and i will just write it online at home
Old 02-15-2009, 09:54 AM

Default challenge the exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
From My instructors manual approved by the DOT

" All Operators ..... By Sept 15 , 2009 ....

Less than 12 yrs .... can driveboat with less than 10 hp...must have a licence

12 to 15 yrs... can drive boat with less than 40 hp..... must have licence ...

Under 16 ... NO personal watercraft ....( seadoo )

The moratorium of sorts is off Sept 15 , 2009 .. You can expect

full enforcement at that time ....I am told probably the last boat show

where you will be able to challenge the exam ....You will likely have to take a safe boating class after this ...
I would highly recommend challenging the exam at the boat show.

I did not read the manual but wrote the test. I had one wrong... Didn't choose the best how to dry a lifejacket. I went by the dryer room at the fishing lodges.

Anyways. One wrong... Easy Test... Online is supposed to be harder.

Cheers

Sun
Old 02-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Location: past the dead tree where the john bros faught in '52

does it cost anything/ where can you write the test?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/ http://www.boatcard.ca/ Here's a couple on line. There are others.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker197 View Post
does it cost anything/ where can you write the test?
Cost nothing to write the test at the show but cost $60 to get a card issued.

Cheers
Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

buying a 60 dollar license wont make you a better boat driver , got along fine for the last 300 years , now all of a sudden they want 60 bucks from us all , just another money grab , whats next , a license to walk public streets or a license to drive public roads , or maybe a license to carry a fishing rod , yea , that,ll work.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Bud
If you have ever been on a lake with a 14 year old kids driving dads 60k boat up and down the lake at full out you would think twice, good idea. The money thing I can see that everything recreational has gone up i the last 3-4 years and I hope that the money is used to police the lakes and keep them safe. Last year I got my new boat and had a 12 year old out on dads jet ski hit it and take off..
my 2 cents
gramps
Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Gone Fishing

I think the purpose of the licence is to establish the person in control of the boat has ID. If you are being foolish with your boat and get caught then your boat licence will be used as proof of identification,
Its not to make you a better boatsman, just makes you more aware that you know whats right and wrong on a boat. Just my thoughts. (I have had my licence for 3 years now)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Boating licence

The history of this certification , is that in 1998 ....there were

6000 boating related injury accidents and 200 deaths , in Canada .

The federal govt was petitioned by every boating assoc., and many

individuals to do something to aleviate this problem ....

Education was what they came up with ....so when you attain this life long certification , you are suppose to come away smarter .....
Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Ok, so now I have the background

I'm with you Winch but then what exceptions/exemptions are there to this licensing? If anyone is exempt then the argument gets pretty soft. My beef is that the folks who are very occasional or very inexperienced boaters tend to be the problem. For this thing to work there will have to be some form of enforcement...not sure who that would be (RCMP, DFO, fishcops?). In the case of an accident or a hit and run is the other boater required to show me his license or ID (I don't believe there is insurance requirements like there is on roads)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the licensing, I don't see it as a money grab (not any worse than everything else involving the gov't). If I ever meet one of these enforcement guys at say Sylvan Lake on a long weekend I'll shake his hand...I seriously doubt I'll meet one.

Zeke
Old 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Challenge versus Safe Boating classes

When we do a Safe boating class ( 3.5 Hours )we spend quite a bit of time

on how these new regulations will impact boaters ....

When you combine the Boating Restrictions Regulation with

the Collission Regulations with the Small Vessel Regulations with

the Criminal Code of Canada ....and the fact that all levels of Peace

officers , provincial and Federal will enforce these regs as of Sept 15 , 2009 ....

The rules of the waves have changed dramatically .

We want people to know , what they are responsible for , I dont

think you get that when you just write the test and guess ..

No one is relieved of this certification if you are going to drive a power boat in canadian waters ....

Here is the sad state of affairs ...If you took the Power Squadron 40 hr course
and ended up with the Pleasure Craft Operators Licence , you have the same licence
that a guy got at the boat show when it cost $16.95 and you didnt have to get any right ...
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
No one is relieved of this certification if you are going to drive a power boat in canadian waters ....
Everyone may have to have a license,but I am guessing that some people will be given free licenses without ever having to write a test,just the the PAL.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Thanks Winch

You sound very knowledgeable on this topic and I agree that it seems funny that some folks can sit thru a course, learn practically nothing and still get the license. I fully agree that this stuff needs more regulation as the possible variations of boats and users is far broader than what you would see on a roadway. I question slightly some of the course content as I'm sure the next time I see any navigation bouys I won't be able to recall a thing about them (other than to not use them for moorage)

As you mention, no exception so the occasional users like the houseboat renters (and timeshare houseboat owners) along with the guests of all of the salmon lodges need the same license...these guys will be screwed. The DFO guys I run into regularly on the island will be getting writers cramp with all the tickets they will be handing out.

As before, the program is usless without enforcement...I've never seen this before so I'm more than a bit skeptical.

Zeke
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
As you mention, no exception so the occasional users like the houseboat renters (and timeshare houseboat owners) along with the guests of all of the salmon lodges need the same license...these guys will be screwed. The DFO guys I run into regularly on the island will be getting writers cramp with all the tickets they will be handing out.
Wrong.I just did some checking online,and there most certainly are exceptions.

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_rules-en.aspx

Quote:
Q. Do Native Americans or Inuit people need to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

A. Yes, unless the boat is being used for sustenance reasons (such as hunting or fishing). A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required for recreational boating activities.

Q. I operate a boat for work purposes. Do I need the Card?

A. No. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required by operators of watercraft being used for recreational purposes. It is common however for many commercial establishments (such as marinas, and fishing & hunting lodges) to ask their staff to obtain their Pleasure Craft Operator Card.

Q. What if I don’t live in Canada, but boat there?

A. Non-residents only need to obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card if they are operating their powered boat in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or if the boat they are operating is registered or licensed in Canada (this includes rented boats). Boater Education Cards or equivalent certifications are recognized in Canada. Proper identification should be kept on board at all times to provide proof of residency.

Q. What about horsepower restriction for children?

A. The table summarizes how horsepower restrictions apply:
Age Power Restrictions
Under 12 years of age, and not directly supervised Can operate vessels with under 10 hp
Between 12 years and under 16 years of age, and not directly supervised Can operate vessels with under 40 hp
Under 16 years of age Not allowed to operate a PWC
16 years of age and over No power restrictions

Q. Why do operators of smaller boats need the card now, but not yet for bigger boats?

A. The law is phased in gradually – by 2009 all operators of all powered pleasure craft will require the card (regardless of their age, the length of their boat, or the size of their motor).

Q. What if I rent a powerboat or PWC?

A. Currently, a Pleasure Craft Operator Card is not required in order to operate a rented watercraft. Instead, it is sufficient for a renter to complete a rental safety checklist. Take note however that some companies have made it their corporate policy to require renters to have their Pleasure Craft Operator Card. Below is a sample copy of a rental safety checklist.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Elk
So if I am fishing in the SWAT to make money then I am not recreational,
Do I need a my PCOC?
Don't get me wrong I like this thing but seem to me alot of loop holes.
Gramps
Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Default Why get a licence if the most highly trained guys can't drive?

How valuable is our licencing system?

Challenge the exam...pass...pay...get your licence.

These guys are the most highly trained boatsmen in the world...

And guess what!

They can't drive well either!

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/World/20...6/8410796.html

Way too funny. Just funny cause nobody got hurt...

"Q. Do Native Americans or Inuit people need to have a Pleasure Craft Operator Card?

A. Yes, unless the boat is being used for sustenance reasons (such as hunting or fishing). A Pleasure Craft Operator Card is only required for recreational boating activities."

Can I say I am fishing to feed my family dinner and therefore it is not a pleasure craft? Maybe if I don't catch dinner the wife will make me sleep on the couch? Therefore I may be very stressed fishing and it might not be pleasurably at all!

LOOPHOLE!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
So if I am fishing in the SWAT to make money then I am not recreational,
Do I need a my PCOC?
Don't get me wrong I like this thing but seem to me alot of loop holes.
Gramps
If you are fishing to make income,you could certainly make a case for yourself.

Yes it looks like there are a lot of loopholes.I don't expect any native or inuit people to bother getting a license,since all that they need to do is claim to be fishing or hunting every time that they set foot in a boat.

The most unsafe boaters that I see in the water are boat or PWC renters,and they are exempt.

Visitors to Canada are exempt if they don't operate a boat in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days.

I have never operated a boat in Canadian waters for 45 consecutive days.I don't operate a boat for 45 days out of an entire year,yet I have to get the license.

The way that this is written,it is racist in nature and biased against boat owners.It is even biased against Canadians.This crap is even worse than bill c-68.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Default Just as I thought

I don't really care about the Native or Inuit thing, they might be the only group that I could get my head around being exempt (for the same reasons as their exemption for hunting licenses). The data shown above shows just how weak the legislation is:

-Who in Canada operates a boat on a pleasure basis for more than 45 CONSECUTIVE days...most folks don't get 45 days on the water all season. This means any 'Merican can come up, run a backdoor charter service and not need any license (business, boater or otherwise).
-Any fishing lodge owner just needs to cook up some BS rental agreement and then his clients (many of which don't know which end of the net the fish goes in) don't need to be licensed at all. I've seen some amazingly clueless things done by lodge guests.
-Houseboat renters don't need any licensing at all...these things are like huge lumbering oxen of freshwater and capable of immense damage.

The smartest thing I can do is to register my boat in my wife's name (nothing illegal about that, the registered owner does not need the Boater Card) and then have some laminated rental agreement kept on board...all perfectly legal and terrifically dangerous. If the boat is small enough it doesn't need to be registered.

I'd be happy to pay the money if it had any hope of making a difference.

Zeke
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM

had mine since i was 13 or 14, when we used to have a place out at leisure on pine lake a guy came in and did the course, i drive our boat very regularily in the summer by myself and have by myself since i was 16 (260 hp) so i couldnt drive it alone until i was 16. i'm 19 now and have never been checked
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM

i wrote mine on monday and passed,it cost me 41 dollars and change so i guess i will be ready when it comes,not a hard test at all...pretty simple to pass,so i dont know how efective it would be for making safer boating,the one i took in florida was ten times harder than this,but i guess because it dealt with open ocean too.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:35 PM

BoaterExam.com Coupon Codes

Code:BX77T97Y8Discount:10$ off your boating license exam

Code:bx246ff07Discount:10$ off your boating license exam

Code:EMSP8Discount:10$ off your boating license exam

Code:BX77T97Y9Discount:$10.00 off. Valid in Canada
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 PM

Useless tax grab! I wrote mine years ago. Just another stupid liberal tax grabing program.