Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Default Always call and always visit as you never know when its that persons time

Received some terrible news.

The wife's uncle is dying. I do not let that many people get close to me but he was one I loved being with and spending time with especially since I have no family left on my side, only have the wifes family now. Happiest man ever always smiling. We haven't seen him in about 2 years, life is busy and we just never made the time for a trip to visit. Wishing we did. Wishing we called more and made more time.

He was on medication for another issue with his arm and they did not make him feel well so he thought the sickness the past while was from the medication. He was acting real funny the other morning so he was taken to hospital. They think he had a stroke. They also found he is plagued with bone cancer and cancer in the brain. They said he has roughly 3 weeks to live. They gave him the option to go for radiation but it would only make him sick and he is in enough pain right now and there is no chance of beating it.

I am giving him credit for his strength as he is still the happy uncle we know. Cracking jokes about his wife finding a new husband but will never find one as good as him lol. Not sure how he is so accepting but all the power to him for being this way. He is the kind of man that will not show his fear just to avoid making others upset.

I do not share what goes on in my personal life often but I also do not have many people to talk to at all. I haven't really been this upset since my mother passed and I bottle that stuff up and bury it deep to begin with lol.

Mainly posting this to remind you to make that call, make that visit. Uncle went from a fairly normal life to having 3 weeks to live. Don't live with that regret of not making that call or visit.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Trout, Sorry to hear about your wife's Uncle. That is terrible news.

What you say is true though. Many of us get so busy and overwhelmed in our daily lives we sometimes don't take the time we should to visit we people.
Often we don't realize this until that small visit can no longer be had.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Banned

Unhappy

Thank you.

Your obsevation is true.

Condolences and thank you for a reminder.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:00 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sorry to hear and your right, we get all caught up in work etc that we make excuses and forget what really matters.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Sad news, my condolences.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:38 AM

This has happened in my life more than once and I clearly recall the shock and regret as if it where yesterday.

Sorry for your bad news Troutbug.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 01-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Ya never know is right, sorry to hear Troutbug. I bet your uncle feels the same about you. Enjoy those visits when you have them.

One of my favorites and so true. Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory....Dr Seuss
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 PM

My condolences trout.
Horrible news.

Stay strong bud, and your family as well.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 PM

Sage advice. We had this just last June with an uncle, we drove to Winnipeg to see him when we heard he'd taken a turn for he worse but he passed away when we were around Brandon . Staying in his home that very night and the following week was a little weird but it also had its moments for reflection. The poor fellow had been widowed 3 years prior and they were childless. A stellar human with a great sense of humor, a highly developed mischievous streak and genuine caring for others, he's sorely missed.

Make the plans for the visit. "Someday" passes all too soon.