Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 07:54 AM

A smart guy would have just told his supervisor that he stop to practice with his rifle, and accidentally hit the truck hood. ( if that’s what was hit)

He may have been reprimanded and had the incident in his file, but kept his job. But maybe there was witnesses, if so then he gets the Darwin.

But you gotta give him credit for been honest. ( stupid but honest).
Old 02-11-2023, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Perhaps they should put less emphasis on diversity, and quotas, and more on hiring more capable/trustworthy individuals? When you issue a person banned firearms, and send them out into the public, where they must make life and death situations, the stakes are much higher than for most professions. To even consider doing what this idiot attempted, demonstrates serious issues with his thought process.
There is no profession where those employed are perfect, there will always be those who color outside the lines. Common sense seems to allude plenty, no different in this case.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
A smart guy would have just told his supervisor that he stop to practice with his rifle, and accidentally hit the truck hood. ( if that’s what was hit)

He may have been reprimanded and had the incident in his file, but kept his job. But maybe there was witnesses, if so then he gets the Darwin.

But you gotta give him credit for been honest. ( stupid but honest).
Don’t give too much credit. There may have been dash cam footage right?
Old 02-11-2023, 08:14 AM

Am I the only one to wonder if shooting caribou for the citizens may be acceptable, even encouraged?
Manitoba has some different attitudes to feeding the Northern Natives.

This officer is probably in trouble because he banged his ride.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-11-2023, 01:55 PM

Fortunately no fire trucks were injured

So let's see
Prohibited firearm (unauthorised possession) - five years or less
Prohibited device (magazine, unauthorised possession) - ten years or less
Careless use - 2 years 1st offence
Poaching - major fine

But you can quit your job and that'll do

Anyway the guy was just dumb - everybody knows that patrol carbines are only meant to kill the largest number of PEOPLE in the least amount of time.
No wonder the caribou was uninjured.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:16 PM

Gotta roll the windows down, no matter how clean they may be.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:14 PM

I'd really like to know how he shot his own patrol vehicle...

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2023, 03:23 PM

^ Twice.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Am I the only one to wonder if shooting caribou for the citizens may be acceptable, even encouraged?

Up here near Wabasca the locals are not allowed to shoot the caribou and they don’t. But there isn’t a moose to be found within 250km.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:26 PM

I’m actually surprised he wasn’t just charged for the illegal hunting. The rifle he had was banned and prohibited for us but legal for him to carry.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’m actually surprised he wasn’t just charged for the illegal hunting. The rifle he had was banned and prohibited for us but legal for him to carry.
The rifle he used was legal for him to possess while performing his duty, but it's pretty hard to claim that poaching caribou was part of his duty.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The rifle he used was legal for him to possess while performing his duty, but it's pretty hard to claim that poaching caribou was part of his duty.
You would think the charge would have been much more serious. Using an rcmp issued firearm to break the law while on duty as a constable for the rcmp, than just being charged with the use of a prohibited firearm... did not see any charges in there for using his vehicle as a rifle rest either.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&C Outdoors View Post
You would think the charge would have been much more serious. Using an rcmp issued firearm to break the law while on duty as a constable for the rcmp, than just being charged with the use of a prohibited firearm... did not see any charges in there for using his vehicle as a rifle rest either.
I guess he was …. Lucki.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:21 PM

Look...very stupid thing this guy did...

The guy resigned/was discharged. He was further charged under the Criminal Code. He will have his Court day in the near future.

How much more blood do some of you want over this?...

Wow...unreal...
Old 02-11-2023, 05:26 PM

This whole things is as stupid as it gets. This guy can’t be that simple?

Sounds like a cry for help….
Old 02-11-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

The guy resigned/was discharged. He was further charged under the Criminal Code. He will have his Court day in the near future.

Wow...unreal...
It's not really a matter of how much blood. It's just a matter of if it would be the same amount that I would have to bleed if I took my M&P 15 out to the Kakwa and took a couple shots at a caribou, and put a couple holes in my Tacoma, and then got busted for it.

All anybody wants is for the scales of justice to be applied equally, all the time. That is how justice is supposed to work Phil.

Unfortunately, in Canada, that is not the case. We all know that your 'identity' has a tremendous bearing on how the law is applied to offenders, and it isn't specific to just police officers. Although they invariably get off much lighter for offences a civilian would get nailed for. There have been several recent examples that were discussed here recently to that effect.

That's all.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-11-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Wow...unreal...
Not sure if you're referring to me or not, but am not looking at it that way at all. Was just referencing the news article posted and from that, seemed that the charges were pretty light and some missing as well.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Wow...unreal...
Not really, Phil. It’s only natural for people to question what’s going on. Much of the public largely sees the RCMP as no longer even arms length from political interference. There have been so many high profile incidents that questioning wth gives with what we once knew as a proud force, and important piece of the Canadian fabric.

I do understand why you take the position you often do, as I’m guessing you were a non nonsense officer with old school values. The kind of cop most of us grew up respecting, and seeing as someone we could turn to in times of distress.

BTW, my two favourite uncles served in the public as RCMP officers. My favourite nephew is an undercover detective on the drug squad.

All are sickened by the public events that regularly are discussed here on the forum, and readily admit that the woke diversity/inclusion policies that dictate current hiring practices, dilute the talent pool that police forces draw from.

Their willingness to be critical of men in blue who end up on the wrong side of the law is really no different from my disdain for the woke policies that have radically changed the teaching profession, as well as fellow teachers who end up breaking codes of conduct, and abusing the sacred trust extended us by society, and expressly by the parents of the kids we teach.

I train dogs with a member of the military, who also happens to be a member of this forum. He is very critical of the military when they mess up too.

My profession has moved the yardsticks greatly from when I entered it. Nobody asks my opinion on what many consider to be full on social engineering that is occurring in schools, but I have to swallow hard, and shut my mouth, as I’m 8 years from the finish line, and I don’t wanna be the crash test dummy in front of a human rights tribunal, fighting to keep my teaching licence.

I would think policing has experienced the same moving of what were once considered to be immovable lines.

I do think we often carry it too far on the forum.

But, and this is a big but… it is my opinion that the anger we see when this stuff happens from us 50 and older, is not a labeling of good cops. It is a cry against how rapidly society is changing, and our powerlessness to stop any of it.

And, it’s a cry for common sense to somehow prevail.

Anyhow, the vast majority of cops are good people, carrying out a thankless, and difficult job to earn a pay check to feed their family, and serve in a way that hopefully makes the world a tiny bit better of a place. Just like the vast majority of teachers.

That doesn’t absolve the idiots though. In either profession. And, it’s a-ok for people to be pizzed off when members of either profession mess up.

What I don’t like is when these threads divide people who in all likelihood view the world through similar lenses, and share a love of the outdoors.

Too much angst in the world for us to cannibalize each other.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It's not really a matter of how much blood. It's just a matter of if it would be the same amount that I would have to bleed if I took my M&P 15 out to the Kakwa and took a couple shots at a caribou, and put a couple holes in my Tacoma, and then got busted for it.

All anybody wants is for the scales of justice to be applied equally, all the time. That is how justice is supposed to work Phil.

Unfortunately, in Canada, that is not the case. We all know that your 'identity' has a tremendous bearing on how the law is applied to offenders, and it isn't specific to just police officers. Although they invariably get off much lighter for offences a civilian would get nailed for. There have been several recent examples that were discussed here recently to that effect.

That's all.

Very well written Tom.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:

That's all.
Bingo! People are getting sick and tired of people's race, religion, wealth and occupation deciding how they are treated by the legal system. There is no equality as far as the law is concerned, and it's only getting worse.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Very well written Tom.
Extremely well written. Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2023, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertajeff View Post
Up here near Wabasca the locals are not allowed to shoot the caribou and they don’t. But there isn’t a moose to be found within 250km.
As noted, this was in Manitoba, the Land where First Nations are experimenting with paying hunters to kill wildlife for the community foodbank.

I have only speculation to offer, and not offering any support for the act if it occurred as I imagine.
It just wouldn't surprise me if somehow this caribou wasn't intended to be supplied to the local community. A goodwill act by the Authorities to feed people. Possible something that the local RCMP have successfully done before, without the outside world noticing, without shooting their ride.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-11-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:

That's all.
Very good Tom, you hit the nail on the head.

All anybody wants is for the scales of justice to be applied equally, all the time. That is how justice is supposed to work.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Not really, Phil. It’s only natural for people to question what’s going on. Much of the public largely sees the RCMP as no longer even arms length from political interference. There have been so many high profile incidents that questioning wth gives with what we once knew as a proud force, and important piece of the Canadian fabric.

I do understand why you take the position you often do, as I’m guessing you were a non nonsense officer with old school values. The kind of cop most of us grew up respecting, and seeing as someone we could turn to in times of distress.

BTW, my two favourite uncles served in the public as RCMP officers. My favourite nephew is an undercover detective on the drug squad.

All are sickened by the public events that regularly are discussed here on the forum, and readily admit that the woke diversity/inclusion policies that dictate current hiring practices, dilute the talent pool that police forces draw from.

Their willingness to be critical of men in blue who end up on the wrong side of the law is really no different from my disdain for the woke policies that have radically changed the teaching profession, as well as fellow teachers who end up breaking codes of conduct, and abusing the sacred trust extended us by society, and expressly by the parents of the kids we teach.

I train dogs with a member of the military, who also happens to be a member of this forum. He is very critical of the military when they mess up too.

My profession has moved the yardsticks greatly from when I entered it. Nobody asks my opinion on what many consider to be full on social engineering that is occurring in schools, but I have to swallow hard, and shut my mouth, as I’m 8 years from the finish line, and I don’t wanna be the crash test dummy in front of a human rights tribunal, fighting to keep my teaching licence.

I would think policing has experienced the same moving of what were once considered to be immovable lines.

But, and this is a big but… it is my opinion that the anger we see when this stuff happens from us 50 and older, is not a labeling of good cops. It is a cry against how rapidly society is changing, and our powerlessness to stop any of it.

Anyhow, the vast majority of cops are good people, carrying out a thankless, and difficult job to earn a pay check to feed their family, and serve in a way that hopefully makes the world a tiny bit better of a place. Just like the vast majority of teachers.

That doesn’t absolve the idiots though. In either profession. And, it’s a-ok for people to be pizzed off when members of either profession mess up.

What I don’t like is when these threads divide people who in all likelihood view the world through similar lenses, and share a love of the outdoors.

Well said and agree 👍
Old 02-11-2023, 09:58 PM

Take comfort, fellas. Should there be a regime of firearm confiscation, and say there is, oh, I don't know, some sort of widespread non-compliance, this is the caliber of flatfoot we'll be up against.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:

That's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

I hear you guys...thanx...
Old 02-12-2023, 06:54 AM

Most of us just get to read about incidents like this. Others have to spoon feed and promote these diverse individuals while preventing the high achievers from leaving the force. If this member was a high performer, I’d say it’s unlikely that he was working the beat in Northern Manitoba at 35 years old.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-12-2023, 08:12 AM

The RCMP carbine, designed for one purpose only, ( pause for dramatic effect) to kill the highest number of caribou and cruisers in the shortest amount of time possible. ( or firehalls or whatever)
Old 02-12-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I noticed the reference to the Native reserve and wondered if there was a connection , as well ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 02-12-2023, 08:55 AM

I am only assuming here but my guess would be that he jumped out of the cruiser, leaned across the hood and cut loose, maybe the caribou were lower than the road and he probably put a couple creases in the hood, hence the reason the caribou was unhurt.

Now speaking from personal experience something similar happed to me a few years back up in the bush on an old logging road when I happened on a coyote in a clearing, it died instantly and I never creased the hood but it sure did leave a powder burn on the paint of my old chevy, the rifle had a brake on it, I can see how this happens.

Now given it was RCMP issued rifle and an RCMP cruiser and he was on duty and there was no season for caribou and he damaged the vehicle, well that's what got him in hot water. They never did say what he intended to do if he had shot the caribou, field dress it and throw it in the back seat ?? maybe it was an RCMP pickup truck

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Closed Thread