Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 PM

Default Lake minnewanka

Hi there! Just got back from a trip to lake minnewanka in Banff going after some Lakers.
Does anyone know how to find out if any their lures or tackle have lead in them? I wasn't sure so I just bought lead free lures at wapiti Sports in canmore and let them guide me in the right direction. I have a few Tc moto jigs and cold lake specials in my tackle but no way of telling if they are lead free so I didn't take them into the park. Was wondering if anyone had some insight?
Old 07-07-2020, 08:00 PM

The cold lake specials will be lead. They are usually a 2 or 3 oz tube lead jig - but you can use lead as long as it's over 50 grams - 1.76 oz so those should be OK.

You can also get a lead testing marker - they will quickly identify lead for you.

Best thing to do, if you are unsure, leave it at home.

How was the fishing??? any updates?? That lake skunks many people, so if you came up empty, don't feel bad.

Tough lake to fish and just getting tougher as there will be no more stocking in there and the recruitment and spawning numbers are low. There's also little forage in there so Lakers are forced to eat each other to survive.

There are Ciscos, whites and other species there too but lakers will eating anything.

Last edited by EZM; 07-07-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 AM

Between the 10 of us and fishing for 4 hours we managed to hook into one Laker. We didn't have any electronics so we were just jigging blind tbh
Old 07-08-2020, 09:34 AM

10 almost sounds like you were fishn from shore

If you are in a boat go to the far end of the lake where the river is, jig in the 25 FOW closer to the bank, you can get lead free jigs at the Fishn Hole and use a white tube. Also the best way to figure the lake out is to watch for the guide boats and see what they are up to. Just remember to keep a good distance LOL

Good spot has always been around the camp ground quite a ways down the lake.

My favorite lake but like EZM says very hard to fish and very dangerous when the wind comes up.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM

We were renting the tinners from. The boathouse on the lake. They told us we shouldn't too far out otherwise they couldn't see us, so we obliged. It did get quite stormy
Old 07-08-2020, 01:56 PM

We always had pretty good luck downrigger trolling at various spots towards the far end of the lake, mainly with gold and silver spoons but I haven't fished it for several years.