Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 02:55 PM

Default Best Lure for Kokanee or Laker's

Hey everyone just looking for a helping hand with Lures. Heading to a lake we've never been to, and are fishing for fish we've never caught before. Just wonder what is the best lure this time of year for Kokanee or lake trout????

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Kokanee wedding band tipped with krill or worm 3ft behind a gang troll works well

Lakers eat fish so basically anything from spoons, plugs, crankbaits, flat fish, large spinners and stuff like that for trolling. Down riggers, dipsy or trolling weights to get it down to them. Jigging is a go to for many but I have only done it ice fishing white soft plastics, feather jigs and zingers is what I have used.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Hot Spot Lures....Apex Trolling Lure....3.5" or 4" for lakers...rainbow trout color...or kokanee special for yup you guesed it....check out the website...read tips and tricks....no bs this is the real deal.....

https://www.hotspotlures.com/index.php

all deadly lures I troll 3' behind a willow leaf gang troll....

good luck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2020, 05:47 PM

For lakers: Lyman plugs, silver sutton spoons, any large spoons, bondy bait. Large crank baits. Flasher and hoochie. Tube jigs. Anything that resembles baitfish work for lakers. Downside considerably for kokanee
Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 PM

4” luhr Jensen dodger , 12”-18” 8lb leader , smallest dick night spoon in u.v pink or chartreuse
Old 07-08-2020, 10:08 PM
Banned

Mepps Syclops in blue and rainbow works the best on lakers for me.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 PM

I did really well a couple weeks ago with a savage line thru trout, 8” long. They loved it
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 PM

I’m not an expert, but I would probably try some of the Mack’s Lures Kokanee Killers (about halfway down the page in the following link). TFH carries Mack’s Lures stuff.

https://www.mackslure.com/products/w...ures-trolling/

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 AM

Did really well on Kokanee last week in woods lake BC using a pink wedding band behind a small flasher. Hot pink hoochies were also working well although we ended up cutting the skirts down a bit as the hits where short. Another boat did well with dick nite spoons in Kokanee size in pearl hotspot.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-09-2020, 06:12 PM

For your basics, 3 different colors of wedding bands in single and double length. Rubber snubbers pinkif you can find. Gang troll small and medium size blades, brass hammered for those cloudy days and silver for sunny or a single blade. vary your leader length to the wedding band. 10 inch to 3 ft. Depending on water temp and time of day down riggers are good or at least a 2 oz weight to have if they are deep or early morning just under the surface works as well. Maggots, shoe peg corn. The list can go on and on. Some good choices here already. Pick and choose all should work on some days. We have fished Lake Revelstoke every year in June for the last 18 yrs. with great results. On those setups we have also caught some good rainbows and Bull Trout go figure. And like mentioned troll slow. We troll at around 1.4 - 1.7 They are real tasty right out of the water.
Good luck
Old 07-10-2020, 07:27 PM

When I lived in the Yukon, I did some fishing for lakers. Most of it was from the shoreline of our remote camps. 1/2 ounce Blue Fox Pixie spoons in pink and chartreuse were killers on the lakers. You would get one on almost every cast.

Mr Conservation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pixie Spoons (2).jpg (71.0 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-10-2020, 07:47 PM

Kokanee killer Apex 1.0 to 1.5" in pink or watermellon color.

Lake trout - Williams whitefish.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 07-10-2020, 09:02 PM

The Lakers are always a sucker for apex that are chrome /blue or black/white combos. Same for spoons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 PM

I also like the hot pink kokanee killer apex. The small ones of course. Sometimes behind a short set of spinners.

Lakers - it has to be the Williams wobbler silver back with five of diamonds front. Also a kwikfish or flatfish trolled slow in rainbow, silver or some other combo with yellow or chrome. The anchoive rig is sometimes pretty good too.

It really depends on the speed the fish want that day.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:02 PM

For Kokanee:

Small 4-5" flasher, try and match the flasher colour to the lure colour. My starting points are always Apex's and small 1.5" hoochies. Leader length should be customized based on the type of lure, longer, 3-4', for those with action (Apex and such), short (8-12") for those with no inherent action (hoochies, wedding bands etc.). I typically peg a kernel of colour matched corn (pre dyed commercial is fine) on each hook, and....... What may be most important, a drop of scent on the lure. Anise is my first try, then garlic.

I find colour to vary by lake, pinks are usually good, but my favorite kokanee lake is best fished with chartreuse/green.

The fish will likely be about 25' at this time of year, work through combos until you find the hot one.

Troll perpendicular to the sun when it is low in the sky to increase the flash of the flasher and keep your speed down, 0.8 to 1 2 mph. Faster might work at times but generally slower is the ticket.

Don't be afraid to try jigging for Lakers with anything big and white, especially if you have good electronics and can find them and sit over top.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo View Post
For Kokanee:

Small 4-5" flasher, try and match the flasher colour to the lure colour. My starting points are always Apex's and small 1.5" hoochies. Leader length should be customized based on the type of lure, longer, 3-4', for those with action (Apex and such), short (8-12") for those with no inherent action (hoochies, wedding bands etc.). I typically peg a kernel of colour matched corn (pre dyed commercial is fine) on each hook, and....... What may be most important, a drop of scent on the lure. Anise is my first try, then garlic.

I find colour to vary by lake, pinks are usually good, but my favorite kokanee lake is best fished with chartreuse/green.

The fish will likely be about 25' at this time of year, work through combos until you find the hot one.

Troll perpendicular to the sun when it is low in the sky to increase the flash of the flasher and keep your speed down, 0.8 to 1 2 mph. Faster might work at times but generally slower is the ticket.

Don't be afraid to try jigging for Lakers with anything big and white, especially if you have good electronics and can find them and sit over top.
Never tried a flasher on a Apex. The Flasher is normally meant to roll and I would have thought this would have led to action issues with the apex which is a planning lure that shouldn't be spinning. Might have to try that out. Probably need to add an extra bead chain swivel.

I will use a dodger though - a small one - so when it fans around it's not jerking the apex too much - if it's yanking (I dip it and watch it before I send it out - I either downsize it to eliminate that, or just go to a gang troll which seems to be the "go to" set up.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Never tried a flasher on a Apex. The Flasher is normally meant to roll and I would have thought this would have led to action issues with the apex which is a planning lure that shouldn't be spinning. Might have to try that out. Probably need to add an extra bead chain swivel.
Better to use a sampo swivel. Bead chains are prone to failure on big fish (not that lakers fight that hard) and are old school tech. A modern ball bearing swivel is a better option.

If I had to choose one lure for lakers it would be a northern king spoon. Those things flat out catch fish although I’ve caught far more BIG lakers on a tonic plug.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:41 PM

For Kokanee, try ford fenders or willow leafs with worms
Old 07-13-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Better to use a sampo swivel. Bead chains are prone to failure on big fish (not that lakers fight that hard) and are old school tech. A modern ball bearing swivel is a better option.

If I had to choose one lure for lakers it would be a northern king spoon. Those things flat out catch fish although I’ve caught far more BIG lakers on a tonic plug.
I use the Sampo bead chain with coast lock. Also Owner, (the original Berkeley) but they are getting harder to find.

Only top quality terminal tackle. Learned this lesson the hard way, twice, then learned the third time.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I use the Sampo bead chain with coast lock. Also Owner, (the original Berkeley) but they are getting harder to find.

Only top quality terminal tackle. Learned this lesson the hard way, twice, then learned the third time.
Whatever works and to each their own. I probably still have some bead chains rattling around somewhere but the only thing I put in the water is a ball bearing sampo. I’ve never had a failure on the swivel, the rosco crosslocks however need to be replaced very few months. I haven’t had one cost me a fish but they’re prone to failure. I haven’t yet figured out if it’s the salt or fatigue from opening and closing them.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 AM

Best setup that always produces for me is a willow leaf or ford fender gang troll followed with a green or red rubber snubber then about 12-18 inches behind that a red wedding band with a Berkely maggot or shoepeg corn kernal. Always produces for me. I also use leadcore line and count colors to get to different depths and a really sensitive rod as the bite is offen soft. Speed is the other key factor, seems kike somewhere in the range of 2km/hr max is best. Also an s or figure 8 pattern when trolling helps find the schools, them once you start getting hits circle back through the same area again and again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I will use a dodger though - a small one - so when it fans around it's not jerking the apex too much - if it's yanking (I dip it and watch it before I send it out - I either downsize it to eliminate that, or just go to a gang troll which seems to be the "go to" set up.
I actually meant dodger, not sure why I said flasher. A colour matched dodger with a 4' leader really works well on Apexs. The Gibbs dog tail is a great dodger.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo View Post
I actually meant dodger, not sure why I said flasher. A colour matched dodger with a 4' leader really works well on Apexs. The Gibbs dog tail is a great dodger.
OK - yeah that makes sense now - we are on the same page.

For Kokanees I like using a small 4 1/2" double d dodger and sometimes set it on one of the off center positions and run a mini hoochie/spinner with a double hook harness immediately behind and short like 10"-14" behind to give it an erratic action.

The other one I set up dead straight on the dodger and longer - a more traditional 12"-16" leader back to the hoochie.

Then I see which one works (based on the mood of the fish).

When I'm running a lure with it's own action, like an apex, I'm generally running it behind gang troll spinners.

The only time I ever use flashers for kokanee is up high early spring, and only the small flashers like 4", and trail a fly or streamer behind it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Macks-Lure-Dou.../dp/B00908HE70

https://www.amazon.ca/Wicked-Lures-T...%2C191&sr=1-23